Highlighted
Guide

R8000 new 1.0.4 firmware nearly bricks my router

I got a security advisory email from netgear, and I updated the firmware on my R8000 to the newest. It works for a while but after 30-60 minutes, the internet is gone and I cannot even access the router via routerlogin.net from the computer connected via ethernet. I have to reboot the router and the computer to even access the router. The internet may or may not work again (usually not), but even if it does, it routinely disappears again after 30-60 minutes. Yes, I have done a hard reset to factory default settings and all the usual stuff. NOTHING works except downgrading to the 1.0.3 firmware. Any suggestions?
Message 1 of 39
Highlighted
Master

Re: R8000 new 1.0.4 firmware nearly bricks my router

Hi joelbb,

Try to upload the firmware manually.

https://kb.netgear.com/000052298/R8000-Firmware-Version-1-0-4-4

Message 2 of 39
Highlighted
Master

Hi joelbb,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 39
Highlighted
Guide

Well, release a new firmware that works, lol. I am back at 1.0.3 Yes, I have uploaded manually and done a full reset. After 30-60 minutes, the router just disappears and I have to reboot it to even access routerlogin.
Message 4 of 39
Highlighted
NETGEAR Expert

Hi, May I know that circle enabled or not ?

Message 5 of 39
Highlighted
Aspirant

I am having the exact same problem with my R8000 router after updating the firmware to v1.0.4.4. The router has become almost useless. After rebooting the router it works for a few minutes and then it either becomes agonizingly slow accessing the internet or I cannot connect to the router or the internet at all.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 6 of 39
Highlighted
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Jacrlile,

Did you enable circle ? try to disable it.

Message 7 of 39
Highlighted
Apprentice

I also started a thread about problem with R8000 Firmware 1.0.4.* . It causes random WiFi drops and performance degradation. Yes. I have done reset following update.

Firmware 1.0.4.* for R8000 have some serious issues. I do not understand why a reputable organisation which do not do enough testing and  keep releasing firmware which causes serious issues.

Have a browse through this forum and see for yourself the people having problems with Netgear firmware on various models. I accept that it is impossible to regression test everything but some of the problems are so fundamental. For me, the setup is vanilla with no QoS, no Parental Control no Guest WiFi. Just a simple stock standard WiFi router and yet the firmware did not work.

Message 8 of 39
Highlighted
NETGEAR Expert

Hi SmallTrader.

Would you let me know the detail about your issue?

ex: Wifi poor range ? Internet disconnect ?

Moreover, we need to know your config.

ex: WAN PPPoE or DHCP ?

If you can provide config file is better. 

Message 9 of 39
Highlighted
Apprentice

Stock standard Config. No QoS, No Parental Control, no Guest WiFi.

Everything was working great and stable on V1.0.3.54 for months before.

I decided to try1.0.4.4 for R8000 given the Security Advisory. I did a reset after updgrade. Immediately after upgrade I experienced random WiFi disconnect issues. The WiFi drop out is on the 2.4GHz band and it is with a Win10 machine. In addition, 1.0.4.4 has worse speed performance than 1.0.3.54 over WiFi according to SpeedTest. It has about 20 - 25% less WiFi speed according to SpeedTest when comparing 1.0.3.54 with 1.0.4.4.

Downgraded to 1.0.3.54 and all is well again. It looks like 1.0.4.* release have problems or device compatibility issues with both Windows and Android devices. 1.0.3.54 have been rock solid for months but I thought I would try 1.0.4.4 given it has latest security fixes.

IMHO. Netgear should be doing more regression testing before releasing. I guess the rapid release cycle is the current bandwagon - let the

public be the guinea pig / beta testers. Do a browse on this forum, quite a few people are having various problems with V1.0.4.* but WiFi drop out seems to be common theme.

Message 10 of 39
Highlighted
Aspirant

I did not enable circle. I do not have a guest network configured either. Something is seriously wrong with this version of the firmware. I am going to have to go back to an earlier version. It has made the router practically unusable.

Message 11 of 39
Highlighted
Aspirant

I rolled back my firmware to v1.0.3.54 and so far everything seems to be working fine again after three days of fighting for an internet connection with v1.0.4.4.
Message 12 of 39
Highlighted
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Jacrlile,

May I know the internet disconnect is occured in Android device only ?

One more thing, what's your WAN config ? PPPOE or DHCP ?

Message 13 of 39
Highlighted
Aspirant

WindSaga,

The WAN setup is PPPoE. The problem occured across all the devices trying to use the router not just Android devices. It occured with Android, iOS, and Windows devices.

Message 14 of 39
Highlighted
Initiate

It's really a bad experience on 1.0.4.4 firmware.

WiFi keeps dropped after factory reset/reboot, say no internet connection on Android devices.

But LAN PCs are no problem, so it is not WAN/PPPOE problem.

Work fine now after rollback to 1.0.3.54

Message 15 of 39
Highlighted

I had the same issue.

Did not change any setting nor enabled circle. V1.0.4.4 reboots every 10 - 30 minutes automatically, tried 1.0.4.2 ... rebooth happens less freequent in 1.0.4.2 compared to 1.0.4.4 - but still happens. Did online and offline patchings. Both cases faced connectivity problems with Android phones in both V1.0.4.x versions - Phones connect to Wifi but no internet.

Most stable one is V1.0.3.54 as of now - with all basic features working (no reboot and android connectivity) - so revered back Smiley Sad.

I have quiet a few devices connected - have not checked with FireTV, Wifi enabled DTH box, Samsung Bluray Player (with Wifi), Panasonic DVD Recorder (internet connected), Apple devices - as I was more concerned with with connectivity issue with android and the frequent reboot of my router. That said lucky internet connectivity from PCs worked. All my devices works fine in V1.0.3.54.

I did notice few features added in V1.0.4.x - like download manager (torrents) and Circle - would have loved to use them, unfortunately its not ready.

Guess we will have to wait for new firmware version to fix the basic critical features before we can think of nice to have features.

Eagerly hoping for a early fix.

Message 16 of 39
Highlighted
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

You can try to use trial FW.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0g6p9zh4isk3wi2/R8000-V1.0.4.8_1.1.44.chk?dl=0

Thanks

Message 17 of 39
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I will try it tonight after Christmas Eve... Worst case scenario, if it didn't work, then at least I have had a good Christmas Eve... .
I had exactly the same problem with Wi-Fi dropping off after updating to FW 1.0.4.4 (newest one): the internet worked only for 1 hour or so then dropped off, and this was PERSISTENT. Nothing fancy as in setting up the router, DHCP, QoS off, no Disney setting, it was just simple default setting, and it broke the R8000. After many tech support, and router return/exchange, the router refused to work with the newest FW. I found out that somehow the default gateway IP address is not received, and the device IP got random IP address, not 192.168.1.xxx.
So, NETGEAR engineers, please do yourself a favor, remove your newest FW 1.0.4.4 and rework as fast as possible to resolve the problem.
Message 18 of 39
Highlighted
Virtuoso

To be safe, the FW that works flawlessly is 1.0.3.54 and it is stable...
Message 19 of 39
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Doesn't matter. It still not work whether it is on or off...
Message 20 of 39
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Well known problem. Downgrade to FW 1.0.3.54 and you will be ok for now, until NETGEAR figures it out.
Message 21 of 39
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Disabling it does NOT help. The problem still persists...
Message 22 of 39
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I had DHCP. It still is mot working. Downgrade to 1.0.3.54 will work.
Message 23 of 39
Highlighted
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Terry,

Did you mean use the latest trial FW ??

Message 24 of 39
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Yes, I meant it but only after Christmas Eve, then I will see if it works. If it does NOT work, then at least I have had spent a good Christmas Eve without headaches (sarcastically....haha)
Message 25 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements