Re: R8000 new 1.0.4 firmware nearly bricks my router

tushardhull
Aspirant

Hi smalltrader can u send me V1.0.3.54 firmware file, i also face frequent wifi drops and slow speed on v1.0.4.4. My mail id is tushardhull@gmail.com
Message 26 of 39
indianicon
Guide

Thanks.

I applied V1.0.4.8 and post that router has not rebooted. Also connectivity from my Android phones are working.

The version text which shows  in the page is V1.0.4.8_10.1.44_fix_crashed_12222017.

During my two hour use my laptop did change the IP suddenly. I had to reconnect to the wifi to make it work.

Not sure if that is because of this fix (as it has never happened before), but will give it a benifit of doubt.

Will continue to monitor and update the thread in case of any issues.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 27 of 39
SmallTrader
Apprentice

My uneasy feeling with Netgear is thar it seems to be using the public as beta testers for released SW. There is a big difference in calling a version public beta vs calling a version which is a released version and yet it is full of serious bugs.

Netgear seems to be doing the later frequently. ie. proper software releases which are full of serious bugs.It is simply wrong to expect the public to be beta testers when there is supposedly a proper release software version.

Message 28 of 39
indianicon
Guide

@windsaga - Thanks.

Quick update 24+ hours after applying V1.0.4.8_10.1.44_fix_crashed_12222017 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/0g6p9zh4isk3wi2/R8000-V1.0.4.8_1.1.44.chk?dl=0) .

Things are still working - Android phones, laptops, direct network connection, FireTV all worked.

Router has not rebooted - seems to be working. Not checked out the new features yet.

However the admin pages are loading slow today. Is anyone else facing this slowness in admin pages?

Message 29 of 39
TerryPh
Virtuoso

FW 1.0.4.8 beta update
1. Stable internet connection past 4+ hours, due to persistent gateway IP address 192.168.1.1 for all deviceswith wired or wireless connection.
2. Was able to acesss/re-acess the router interface within first hour of running beta firmware, BUT, after that the router interface was NOT accessible, even with stable gateway IP address 192.168.1.1.

Attention NETGEAR engineers, please fix it ASAP
Message 30 of 39
TerryPh
Virtuoso

UP config update
Message 31 of 39
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Update on v.1.0.4.8 beta.
After one about 14 hours, this beta version started having internet connection problems, exactly as those of v1.0.4.4, ie. Web sites can not be reached, router interface can not be accessed, wired and wireless connection show no internet. NETGEAR apps on wireless devices can not detect the router.
Interestingly, the wired PC shows correct gateway IP address, with IPv4 correctly connected.
After few hard resets, problems initially resolved, but quickly came back.
I am now resolving to downgrade to FW 1.0.3.54 and voila... all problems disappear... Only down side is that Disney parental control is not available with this older version.
I'm waiting to see if NETGEAR comes up with solution. Otherwise, I'm happy with 1.0.3.54 version for now.
Message 32 of 39
indianicon
Guide

@windsaga

Update on v.1.0.4.8 beta:

Netgear USB control center keeps disconnecting and re-connecting. So finally downgrading back to 1.0.3.54.

Message 33 of 39
windsaga
NETGEAR Expert

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/googlehome/lssgm7TjgGs/wpMjS5xDAQAJ

About Wifi connections, would you check if any Google Home or Nexus player connect to you wifi ?

https://www.androidauthority.com/google-home-max-wifi-830129/

This is a weirdly specific issue, but one we’ve seen before. The Nexus Player also crashed Wi-Fi networks run by the same router.

Google and TP-Link eventually narrowed down the issue to MDNS packets, which are responsible for keeping a live connection with cast-enabled devices.

Instead of sending the packets in 20-second intervals, Google Home Max is sending thousands of them and overloading the router.

A professional user also informed me that He can confirm through recent debugging of his Android devices on Android 8.1 using ADB logcat He can see they may be performing very frequent MDNS broadcasts.

If that eats memory on the router the same way it does for some of these other devices then it could be a cause of the issue.

Message 34 of 39
2xmanman
Initiate

Confirmed no google home or nexus player connnected to WiFi network.
Confrimed the same Android 7.0 devices connect to WiFi, no problem on FW 1.0.3.54 but WiFi connection keep drop on FW 1.0.4.4.

Thanks!

Message 35 of 39
TerryPh
Virtuoso

In my testing setup, for both v.1.0.4.8 and 1.0.4.10 beta, I ran very simple network loads. One PC used to manage the router, 2 Android phones. Got extensesile logs with loss of transmission in details.
I'm sending it back to NETGEAR PM to figure it out.
Message 36 of 39
layne81
Tutor

I am using the r8000 and r7000 with my r8000 as the main and my r7000 running in bridge mode.

I have had nothing but issues after updating past 1.0.3.54 and after downgrading back to 1.0.3.54 it seems the performance is worse than before.

These routers have been solid up until this point. Now... my entire network is off... fire tv randomly disconnecting... pretty much useless. Apple TV losing connection randomly...: works fantastic if hard wired.

When a company releases something like this with no fix around the corner... it seems they do not remember... there is Linksys, asus, apple, etc. we have other options.

I am a loyal Netgear customer. I have Arlo, nighthawk r8000, r7000 and the s8000 hard wired in my living room.

Please fix this before we choose other options.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router,R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 37 of 39
SmallTrader
Apprentice

Netgear used to be a progressive company but I don't think there is the case any more. A read of the various forums and you can see Netgear releasing "production" version of firmware for numerous models which are unstable and full of bugs.

I for one see production version as production and I am prepared to be an unpaid beta tester for NetGear. However, NetGear seems to be happily using Joe Public as guide pigs for “production” firmware.

For the record, V1.0.4 was released as production version for R8000 in mid November and it has been two months with numerous failure reports for V1.0.4.

What gets me is there have been so many reports of V1.0.4.* firmware for R8000 causing serious issues on the forum and I have yet to see NetGear formally acknowledges the problem and pull the firmware until there is a stable version.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 38 of 39
TerryPh
Virtuoso

That was exactly my thoughts since November last year. Circle....... and this was the Corporation's decision that leads to FW failure, en masse...
Cross your fingers, to see how the decision would be, keep it and deal with prolonged problems or just pull it off and get problem all over fast....
Message 39 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements