Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 nighthawk Config issue lack of service

vdotmatrix
Guide

R8000 nighthawk Config issue lack of service

I’ve had this issue with this router for over a year. I was finally able to get a hold of Netgear customer support and after troubleshooting a number of issues out of warranty the guy try to sell me a contract for support saying that it was a configuration issue with our wireless router. So if it was a configuration issue wouldn’t a factory reset solve the issue? 

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: R8000 nighthawk Config issue lack of service

A better description of your issue might help us to help you. 

also. 

• what firmware is on it
  • what modem/gateway its connected to

These are all good ways for us to offer advice. A vague description of an issue doesn't help much

Message 2 of 7
vdotmatrix
Guide

Hi I think we’ve talked many many times in the past having the same issues. Connectivity issues. You suggested that I downgrade the firmware. I might as well try to re-task some high-level satellites orbiting over Bosnia.32BE41C7-9224-4BB6-A4F1-45E2B51ED044.png

Message 3 of 7
vdotmatrix
Guide

I do not know how do downgrade the firmware. Is it easy to do? I have the nighthawk app installed on the phone and ipad…

thanks

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 5 of 7

@vdotmatrix wrote:

I do not know how do downgrade the firmware. Is it easy to do?

Pretty easy. It is the same process as a manual update of the firmware.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I have the nighthawk app installed on the phone and ipad…

I don't think that you can use that for anything beyond basic housekeeping in a router.

Manual updates are usually done with a wired LAN connection using the browser graphical user interface (GUI).

Message 6 of 7

@vdotmatrix wrote:

I’ve had this issue with this router for over a year.

What issue?

.... the guy try to sell me a contract for support saying that it was a configuration issue with our wireless router. So if it was a configuration issue wouldn’t a factory reset solve the issue? 

You get free support for 90 days after you buy the router. That is essentially there to help you through the setup process.

After that, you have to pay. Netgear does not provide that support. It farms that out to Gearhead.

GearHead Support

So if it was a configuration issue wouldn’t a factory reset solve the issue? 

Only if you set it up properly to fit in with the rest of your network. Which is where the questions from @plemans come in.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7