Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 not working at all

harleykins
Aspirant

R8000 not working at all

I purchase the Nighthawk R8000 Router almost a year and a half ago.  On Tuesday this week (the 14th), we started experiencing connectivity issues with the Wifi. Some of our devices were failing to connect, but we thought it was Comcast since there were some vans doing installation up the street.  Really didn't think too much of it since later that night it finally connected.  On Wednesday, not only did the wifi stop working, the router as a whole stopped working.  It was connected to the network, but I couldn't get to through the app on my phone or through the browser on my desktop.  I tried resetting it, but it looks like nothing happens.  The power light and the 2.4 ghz, 5ghz, USB 3.0 and 2.0 lights are lit, but that's all.  When I depress the reset button, I do not see the lights flash at all like the manual reads.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to reset the router or access it?  Or is it just completely dead?  Thank you.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: R8000 not working at all

Hi Harleykins,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 16

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi harleykins,

1. What is the color of the Internet light?

2. Can you go online when your computer is directly connected to the modem?

3. Press the reset button at the back of the router for 30 secs or until the power flashes orange.

Message 2 of 16
harleykins
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply!  There is no internet light.  I can access the internet just fine connected to my computer.  Because I'm a bit of a packrat, we're using our old router for our home and not having any issues with connectivity.  I've held the reset button for a few minutes and nothing happens, no lights flash.  They just stay lit to white.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router,R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 16
JamesGL
Master

Hi harleykins,

1. When connected to the router, can you still get an IP address on your computer. If yes, what is the IP address? And can you ping the default gateway?

Message 4 of 16
harleykins
Aspirant

I don't get an IP address and I can't ping the default gateway nor access it through the local network.  It looks like it's not connecting to the local network at all.

Message 5 of 16
JamesGL
Master

Hi Harleykins,

Please set a static IP and default gateway on your computer and ping the default gateway. Check if you are getting a response.

IP:192.168.1.2

DG:192.168.1.1

Message 6 of 16
JamesGL
Master

Hi Harleykins,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Message 7 of 16
harleykins
Aspirant

Pinging results in Destination Host is Unreachable.  There is no response from the router no matter what I do.

Message 8 of 16
JamesGL
Master

Hi Harleykins,

Try using a different computer. Connect it via wired connection. If same thing, router might be defective. If the devices is still within warranty, I would suggest contacting support for replacement.

Message 9 of 16
JamesGL
Master

Hi Harleykins,

Message 10 of 16
harleykins
Aspirant

Thanks for all your help, but it's just dead.  It was a great router while it lasted, but for the length of time it lasted, it's really too expensive.

Message 11 of 16
JamesGL
Master

Hi harleykins,

Have you checked the warranty of your device? You may contact support team for replacement if the device has still a hardware warranty.

Message 12 of 16
VE6CGX
Master

Router was working OK and problem started?  Logic tells me quick first thing to do is,

tried different browser? Make sure browser cache is cleared. Next is hard reset the router

to go back to factory default settings and start over configuring it to your needs.

Message 13 of 16
harleykins
Aspirant

Hi James - I did check the warranty and it's over 1.5 years old.  I'm out of the warranty period unforunately.  I'll still try to contact them anyway.

Hi VE6CGX - Yes, the router was working ok and started to degrade.  I tried a different browser, incognito mode and the hard reset.  The reset button doesn't do anything.  All it does is light up when I plug it in, but no other response whatsoever.

Message 14 of 16
VE6CGX
Master

You wouldn't have spare power adapter, would you? It's possible it is going South. Was it ever running too hot? Sounds like it is dead in the water. If I were you, I'd try another power adapter for sure. Or at least can you check the output with a multi meter. Old analog meter is better in this case. Digital meter is too sensitive due to high input imprednce.

Message 15 of 16
harleykins
Aspirant

Thanks for the idea! I hadn't tried that.  I don't know if it ever ran hot.  It didn't feel hot when I would check it periodically.  But I'll try testing it too.  Thanks!

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7