Re: R8000 rebooting

kasper79
Guide

R8000 rebooting

My R8000 reboots about 2-3 times a day, anyone else having these issues? This is also my 2nd R8000, first one rebooted even more often and eventually locked up.

Collection of iphones, ipads, chromecasts, directv, smart tv's, and wired LANs

Running the latest firmware available. I've also got it on a laptop cooler, so heat is not an issue. Tried with smart connect on/off 5ghz (both or one) on/off.

:confused:

TIA
Message 1 of 38
TonyPHX
Guide

I have had the R8000 now for three weeks. No reboots other than the ones I have initiated. I am also running with 20+ devices, (kids with iPhones, iPads, printers, apple TV's, DVR's, etc.) and think I have a pretty new normal type environment.

Anyways, if the router is rebooting I am sure the tendency is to explore the complex, but I would be wondering first how the power is coming in to the router. Got the basics covered?
Message 2 of 38
Lexist2112
Luminary

Here you go....Reboot
Message 3 of 38
kasper79
Guide

Thank you both for the reply. The power is fed by a APC backup unit, no P2P, no guest network, temp's are normal..

This R8000 actually is replacing a R7000, I used the DD-WRT on the R7000, had a few reboot problems, but it was a known issue with the NEWD package drivers. Before that I had the ASUS-N66U, NO reboots and no issues whatsoever. Same power, same net cords, etc etc.

The problem lies with this current R8000, I even plugged in 2 older routers, no issues at all. Configured a new AC1900 and no issues at all (all settings identical).

I suppose my next plan of action is to disconnect wired/wifi devices to see what is causing the R8000 to do this. If I cannot find it out, the R8000 goes back, for the 2nd time Smiley Sad

any other suggestions are welcome, thank you!!
Message 4 of 38
kasper79
Guide

Meant to say ASUS-AC66U.

Thanks.
Message 5 of 38
TonyPHX
Guide

Sounds like you have thought through it and nothing obvious is causing the issue. Maybe it is just a truly bum unit. : (

I am wondering if you have any other settings that could be outside the norm?
Message 6 of 38
madhatter
Apprentice

how close is your router from other devices, like the APC, cable modem, or other electronics? Try moving it 3-6' away with an extension cord and tell us what happens. If you performed a firmware upgrade you can try these steps if moving it doesn't work:

1. save your current configuration file. call it saved1
2. reset router to default settings
3. reinstall the firmware you are currently using
4. restore your configuration file (saved1)
5. save your new configuration file. call it saved2
6. repeat step 2 and step 3. again
7. restore the configuration file called saved2
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 7 of 38
willbush6301
Aspirant

Try R8000 Beta FW V1.0.0.102 with suggestions by madhatter

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=92398
Message 8 of 38
kasper79
Guide

Hey all, sorry for the late reply!! I have been travelling and didn't get around to trying things out til this past weekend.

I'd like to report that the reboots have stopped, turns out the R8000 is not very happy with my slingbox, it's an older model HD, but for whatever reason the R7000 and the AC1900 didn't have the same sensitivity to whatever was going on there.. *shrugs*

So I have removed the slingbox from my network, stable, also updated to the latest firmware and that is (for me) the best firmware yet on the R8000!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help!!

Cheers,
Message 9 of 38
leenigh
Guide

I recently installed a new R8000 and am having a spontaneous reboot issue, several times per day. 

I am running the latest firmware, have a stable power source, and have tested all cabling. I have max. ~ 20 devices, not all logged on at once.  My gateway/modem is a Motorola NVG589 in passthrough mode with no other activities being perfomed (wireless, firewall, etc.).  IPV6 is turned off on both gateway and router.  The router is mounted vertically in a temperature controlled environment.  it is located in close proximity to a WD MyBook 4tb USB drive and a WD MyCloud 4tb drive connected via ethernet cable. All ethernet cables are Cat 6e or better.

I cannot identify what the circumstances surrounding this issue are.  No set time limit to the reboots, no interference that I can find, no power interruptions. 

Can someone suggest an open source logging utility or similar which I can use to log and retain events leading up to a reboot?

Any suggestion as to the source of the issue?

Thanks in advance...

Message 10 of 38
JamesGL
Master

Hi @leenigh,

Welcome to Community!

This might be a hardware issue if the router reboots by itself. You can try to use a different power adapter with the same specs.

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 11 of 38
multiseasons
Aspirant

My R8000 is randomly rebooting and I have almost the exact same situation as leenigh.  Stable power source about 20 devices and using my NVG589 gateway/modem as a passthrough.

I suspect it is the newest firmware.  I just reverted to R8000-V1.0.2.44_1.0.96 to see if it helps.

I will post back if it solved my problems.

Message 12 of 38
leenigh
Guide

Thanks for the reply.

It does not seem to be the power adapter. I have substituted it as well.

Any other thoughts?

Message 13 of 38
leenigh
Guide

multiseasons:  Thank you, I will revert back to the previos firmware version and report back...

Message 14 of 38
NetGearHead5
Guide

I have nothing positive to tell you. I'm a long time user of Netgear routers going back several generations and I'm completely fed up with the R8000 over this issue.  I have to power cycle my router every morning to limit the number of reboots and dead connections.  Every morning.  Even then, it's rebooting multiple times per day.

I even went so far as to purchase a 6-months support contract.  The support is just awful.  They are obviously working from a script.  I've worked with them 4-5 times and if anything, the problem is worse.  They also seem incompetent.  Netgear has yet to create a log on my end to see what the issue is, they just keep "trying stuff".  I'm tired of working with support.  The last time I got their help, I had to wait on hold for 40 minutes to get 10 minutes of help.  And I paid $75 for that "service".

There is a serious, serious problem here and the 1-star reviews are starting to stack up on Amazon for the router.  Netgear needs to take this seriously and start looking into these issue.

Message 15 of 38
leenigh
Guide

ALL,

I reverted back to Firmware version V1.0.2.44_1.0.96 with no change. I continued to experionce perodic reboots.

What I have found since is that if I turn of UPnP, the system seems to stabilize somewhat. It does NOT solve the problem, but it seems to reduce the number of reboots per day.  I am unsure whether the reduction in traffic caused by the UPnP set events helped or not at this point.

I am not a newbie when it comes to IT infrastructure and I can tell you, I've just about had it with this router.  No temperature issues, no power issues, no device issues and NO log entries to justify these reboots.  I've also had monitors on the LAN/WAN with nothing significant being reported to cause an issue like this (DOS, etc.).

What I want to know is, does ANYONE from Netgear monitor these posts? If so, why so silent?

Thanks to all who DID attempt to assist...

Message 16 of 38
marktiz
Tutor

I also have an R8000 on .96 firmware that is rebooting every 3 minutes. Its in a cold space and reboots when its is still cold. It is noweger near any other wifi device. It reboots even with no clients connected. I will try the new .97 firmware tomorrow as see what happens.

Message 17 of 38
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Please try the latest firmware for R8000.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30010

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 18 of 38
NetGearHead5
Guide

Just threw it on.  We'll see what happens...

Message 19 of 38
NetGearHead5
Guide

Well, it stayed up for about 16 hours but evidently rebooted itself last night.

Message 20 of 38
JamesGL
Master

Hi @NetGearHead5,

Please check your inbox for my message.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 21 of 38
dude333c
Guide

I have also been running into the rebooting/lost of connectivity on my R8000 running stock firmware.  it is wirelessly paired with the R7000 on dd-wrt as a bridge/AP.  R7000 is solid, but R8000 randomly reboots multiple times a day.

Tried upgrading to the latest 1.0.3.4_1.1.2, but same issue persist.  Has Netgear been able to reproduce this issue in house yet?  Any updates on a solution?

Message 22 of 38
dude333c
Guide

Anyone from Netgear monitoring this thread???

Any additional suggestions to try to overcome the rebooting issue?

Message 23 of 38
NetGearHead5
Guide

I fixed the problem!  I really did.  I purchased an Asus RT-AC5300.  With the SAME EXACT set up, I am no longer having to deal with reboot issues, dead connections, etc.  I've had my Asus RT-AC5300 for almost a week and it has yet to reboot once.  With my Netgear R8000, even after hard-cycling it each morning, it was still randomly rebooting during the day.  

Netgear, I've been with you for several generations of routers but you lost a customer for life. The R8000 is one of the most miserable technology experiences I've ever had. What does it tell you that I can slide the Asus RT-AC5300 into the exact same situation and no longer have any of the issues. Netgear, you have serious, serious, serious issues that you are not dealing with.  Having your support team keep suggesting fixes without taking the time to look into the particulars won't get it done.  

The Asus RT-AC5300 has some super traffic graphs that show output in pie-graph form.  I'm able to get a serious handle on where my network traffic is being generated.  Really nice. 

The Netgear nightmare is over, I no longer have to go down to my den each morning and hard-cycle my Netgear router.  The last week I had my R8000 router in operation, within 15 minutes of hard-cycling, it rebooted itself.  Honestly, I couldn't believe it.  

Message 24 of 38
leenigh
Guide

All,

Apparently, no one believes in Customer Service any longer! Glad I didn't hold my breath while awaiting an answer from them...

To summarize: 

1. All ethernet cabling and connections checked and correct (cat6e).

2. Power cable and connections checked and correct.

3. Power supply stable and withing normal limits.

4. Ensure installation environment temparature within acceptable limits and monitor operating temperature.

5. Ensure vartical mounting of the router for most efficient air-flow for cooling.

6. All ethernet cables isolated from power cable (no parallel runs).

7. Router not in close proximity to any items which could cause interference.

8. Router isolated on a separate AC circuit with no other items on the circuit to ensure no chance of current or voltage drop/surge.

9. Ensure that only one client was hard wired and logged into the router during testing (master administrative console).

10. Attempted the latest firmware after a clean (factory) reset with NO settings retained or restored from previous set-ups.

11. Reverted back through at least 3 previous firmware versions with a clean (factory) reset with NO settings retained or restored from previous set-up during each.

12. Modified and/or disabled various router settings (one at a time) as suggested by various contributors to mitigate the issue during each firmware trial (i.e. disable UPnP, etc.).

13. After testing each of these steps on the originallly purchased router and continuing to experience issues, exchanged the router for a new one and repaeted this entire process AGAIN with no difference in the results.

The only step I could have conceiveabably I missed in this entire process is where I should have placed the router gently in the center of my driveway and smashed it to tiny little pieces with a 6lb. sledge hammer --- it wouldn't have fixed the issue, but it would have given me some wonderful self-satisfaction.

If someone from Netgear could take just a tiny bit of time from their seemingly excruciatingly brutal and busy schedule to at least ACKNOWLEDGE the fact that the issue is being address or that it is considered a non-issue in the eyes of the Company --- EITHER WAY, I don't care --- being kept in state of technical support stasis hell is not good business, to say the least.

Message 25 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 14 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements