Re: R8000 rebooting

marktiz
Tutor

I returned the R8000 and got a replacement, same model, same firmware and there has been no rebooting. Maybe its a duff batch?
Message 26 of 38
NetGearHead5
Guide

@marktiz wrote:
I returned the R8000 and got a replacement, same model, same firmware and there has been no rebooting. Maybe its a duff batch?

Well, gee, I only paid an extra $75 to call Netgear's scripted support (several times!) and no one ever made me that offer.

Again, I'm no longer at the mercy of that R8000.

Message 27 of 38
dude333c
Guide

I'm glad to see the responsiveness of the community.  My router is beyond the 90 day warranty, so I doubt they will replace mine without having me spend additional $$$ and time to "troubleshoot".

Wish I just gone with two R7000s.  That one's been rock solid.  And to have paid more for their newest router (just for the troubles)....what was I thinking???

Message 28 of 38
marktiz
Tutor

It wasn't Netgear that replaced my router it was PC World (the UK shop where it was purchased).

Message 29 of 38
dude333c
Guide

@marktiz wrote:

It wasn't Netgear that replaced my router it was PC World (the UK shop where it was purchased).

Now, why I am not surprised it wasn't Netgear taking care of thier own customers.  What a shame.

Message 30 of 38
MEH_PDX
Aspirant

My rebooting problem is a little different. The Nighthawk X6 R8000, firmware V1.0.2.46_1.0.97, purrrs right along for most of the devices I have connected to it on my home network. I have various cellphones, PCs-laptop, tablets, Blu-ray player, Panasonic TV, ooma phone box all connected and work great.

However, I also have a Roku 3 box on the network and this combination seems to sometimes cause problems. The Roku has a dozen, or so, apps installed and most of them work flawlessly. The 2 apps that I have noticed causing the router to reboot are CNET and TWIT. And it doesn't reboot for any and all episodes, just a few. 

Any ideas?

Message 31 of 38
JamesGL
Master

Hi MEH_PDX,

Please update the router to the latest firmware and perform a factory reset after the update.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30010

Message 32 of 38
dude333c
Guide

@MEH_PDX wrote:

My rebooting problem is a little different. The Nighthawk X6 R8000, firmware V1.0.2.46_1.0.97, purrrs right along for most of the devices I have connected to it on my home network. I have various cellphones, PCs-laptop, tablets, Blu-ray player, Panasonic TV, ooma phone box all connected and work great.

However, I also have a Roku 3 box on the network and this combination seems to sometimes cause problems. The Roku has a dozen, or so, apps installed and most of them work flawlessly. The 2 apps that I have noticed causing the router to reboot are CNET and TWIT. And it doesn't reboot for any and all episodes, just a few. 

Any ideas?

Certainly weird.  With most manufacturers, that's considered a defect, a major one at that.  Having external content trigger a reset on the router is a major software failure.  I hope Netgear gets there act together quickly to address their consumers needs and growing fustration.

Message 33 of 38
R8000RebootFeck
Initiate

So, please explain, exactly, how this update is to fix the random reboot issue? Because as I expected, the release information for this update do not mention any such fix. And after trying this several times, even with all the Wi-Fi switched off, with only one PC connect, the R8000 still randomly reboots.  

So I logged a support call in early December - heard nothing, Called to find that this case had mysteriously been close.  The help desk lady in the Philippines, quoted my email address correctly and said she was sending me return info & instructions and gave me an RMA number 7 days ago. (This is going to be predictable...) ...I never received the email.  L  I will never, ever, ever, buy another NetGear product again. This is after having owned many Netgears over many years.  Such shockingly appalling customer experience. Completely wasted countless hours of my time.

Message 34 of 38
dude333c
Guide

In December 2015, I received a pm from JamesGL asking for my contact information which I provided.  I was really hoping that there would be a santa at netgear to take away my woes...but alas, now in Feburary, I have yet to receive any follow-up.

Why ask for my contact information if there's no intention to follow-up?  At the very least, I thought they would be interested in the very reproducible effects of my r8000 rebooting.

What a shame...  

Message 35 of 38
rowe100
Aspirant

I have the same issue with a ROKU3, though it is more complicated than that.  When using Roku3 connecting on 5G network through an N600 Range Extender, 4 out of 5 times it brings R8000 into a reboot.  Turning off the extender and connecting via 2.4G network is working well when connecting and not rebooting.

Has this been fixed?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 36 of 38
rowe100
Aspirant

Any updates on this issue with Roku 3 and reboot of R8000?  Very, very frustrating

Message 37 of 38
rowe100
Aspirant

Good News!  So far so good.  Resetting the router by using a paperclip to push the reset button the back of the router worked!  I have not tried to figure out what setting might have created the original issue, but when I have a free weekend I may try to get to the bottom of it.  

I have model R8000 AC3200

BTW - Support requested that I go back to an earlier version of the firmware then reset the router using a pin on the button on the back of the router.  I went ahead and tried the reset with the current most recent version of the firmware I already had on the router, and right now, it appears to be working!  

I had tried unplugging the power and then powering back up the router, but that didn't work.  The reset is working so far, but of course a pain to reset everything.  I didn't reload the cfg file as I am guessing it would over write something that the reset fixed.

Message 38 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 14 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements