Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000 router and WAC120 AP to be used as wireless bridge

Norman619
Aspirant

R8000 router and WAC120 AP to be used as wireless bridge

Okay guys I hope you can help me.  I have tried calling Netgear support and they either don't get what I am trying to do or keep dropping me.  I have an R8000 and have soem devices in the next room from it that are not AC capable so I bought the WAC120 PA to use as a wireless bridge.  For the life of me I can't seem to get the router to see the WAC120 and get the bridge working.  I put the AP in wireless bridge mode and put in correct gateway, subnetmask, and DNS so it should connect but when I look on the R8000 I am not seeing it.  I have the latest firmware.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

I'm not that familiar with Netgear's SOHO wireless products.  I looked at the WAC120 manual and it appears to support an older form of wireless bridging called WDS.  WDS was never very well supported by manufacturers.  In fact, Netgear has quietly removed WDS from most of their products.

AFAIK, the R8000 doesn't support WDS, so you will not be able to wirelessly bridge the WAC120 to it.  The WAC120 is wholly unsuitable for your purposes.  

What you need is a range extender from their Home Networking product line.  The EX6200 (link) is the closest equivalent to WAC120 in terms of wireless capability.  But unlike the WAC120, the EX6200 can be wireless bridged to the R8000.  It uses a newer form of bridging.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

I'm not that familiar with Netgear's SOHO wireless products.  I looked at the WAC120 manual and it appears to support an older form of wireless bridging called WDS.  WDS was never very well supported by manufacturers.  In fact, Netgear has quietly removed WDS from most of their products.

AFAIK, the R8000 doesn't support WDS, so you will not be able to wirelessly bridge the WAC120 to it.  The WAC120 is wholly unsuitable for your purposes.  

What you need is a range extender from their Home Networking product line.  The EX6200 (link) is the closest equivalent to WAC120 in terms of wireless capability.  But unlike the WAC120, the EX6200 can be wireless bridged to the R8000.  It uses a newer form of bridging.

Message 2 of 3
Norman619
Aspirant

Thanks!  I am returning this thing ASAP.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7