Highlighted
Follower

R8000 slow download speeds

Okay I have comcast 1000mbps internet. Me and my 2 brothers play games. Were all hardwired. Im plugged into the xfinity modem, I constantly download games are 100-115MBps. The xfinity modem has only 2 ethernet slots, so I have a Nighthawk R8000 with there, and theyll get a max of 35MBps. Although, on certain apps like the Rockstar app sometimes theyll get 100MBps, but on steam, blizzard and whatever else its only 30ish MBps, but mine is constantly way higher.

So I know the R8000 is capable of 100MBps, just not sure why its capped sometimes. I changed the MTU to 1496 and it did seem to help (from 1500) and also QoS and traffic meter are off. 

Thanks!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 2
Highlighted
Guru

Re: R8000 slow download speeds

the R8000 is capable of gigabit speeds. 

what firmware are you on? 

what xfinity modem is it?

If you turned on qos, try factory resetting and reinstalling. Qos have a bad habit of being retained even when they're disabled. and its not recommended for speeds >250mbps. 

Speed testing off steam and other gaming services isn't recommended as steam and other gaming services can't always saturate gigabit speeds. for checking your speeds, use dslreports.org  or speedtest.xfinity.com  or speedtest.googlefiber.net  

these can saturate gigabit. 

Also speeds can depend on the device being used. Some older devices couldn't saturate gigabit. 

CM2000-> Arris AX11000 W31-> GS716v2-> WAX***-AP
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements