R8000 speed & performance issues.

RuprectGern
Novice

R8000 speed & performance issues.

I 'm having some speed & performance issues with this router.

Additionally, the router is stored on top of an Armoire in a room by the front of the house. There is an open portico that extends to the second floor... completely open space adjacent to this office.. the router is about 3 feet from the 1st floor ceiling and 5 feet from the open portico. .
    if i go upstairs to a bedroom directly above this router i get signal ratings of poor and fair for the 5Ghz.
    if i move to the next room i cant connect to the dual 5Ghz network and can only use the 2Ghz.

I'd rather work out the speed issue first, but the range is another concern. Because at $299, this router is starting out as a big disappointment.
Message 1 of 5
RuprectGern
Novice

Re: R8000 speed & performance issues.

I couldnt find an edit method for this post, so as a correction... the A6100 Adapter is a 150/ 433Mbs so i would at least expect to hit the 300 on the 5Ghz.
Message 2 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

RuprectGern wrote:
I. You would think that 6 antennas would increase my range somehow, but a line of sight test using the NetGear Android WiFi application to the living room (50 ft away)
  • loses 20% of the signal
  • turning the corner to the kitchen loses an additional 60%
The only reason it has six is to accommodate the 2nd 5g radio. Your assumption that six rather than 3 would eliminate signal attenuation is wrong. The other concern is most HH devices have very poor antennas. USB adapters are also lame devices because they lack space for antennas too. Laptops with internal wifi cards place the antennas in the cover at the top of it so when open they have a better chance of capturing the signal. You should return it and add a AP on the second floor.
Message 3 of 5
Fairytail
Virtuoso

You must report it to support team for this issue to monitored if ever it is really an issue with the unit.

Message 4 of 5
qwert
Aspirant

RuprectGern wrote:
  • I purchased an A6100 802.11AC USB adapter (600Mbs) and it can only get 120 Mbs on a 5 year old dell notebook.

• When you got this 120Mbs number, did you see it through speedtest.net or you see it from the wireless adaptor's property window?
    Message 5 of 5
    Top Contributors
    Discussion stats
    • 4 replies
    • 0 kudos
    • 4 in conversation
    Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E