R8000 speed issues for a long while now

BlackOmega
Tutor

R8000 speed issues for a long while now

I have had the R8000 for several years now and different updates cause me to have different speeds. A clear example is tonight, I had time, so I decided to try to update my router from 1.0.4.28_10.1.54 (which I had stayed on due to speed issues) to 1.0.4.52_10.1.67.

I have a 400Mbps connection through spectrum, the pre firmware update speed test on OOKLA tested three times gave me the following speeds:

383Mbps

397Mbps

388Mbps

Post update tested three times on the same server on OOKLA gave me the following speeds:

261Mbps

260Mbps

268Mbps

Reverting back to 1.0.4.28_10.1.54 and tested again three times on the same server on OOKLA resulted in:

393Mbps

393Mbps

390Mbps

What am I doing wrong here? I want to move pastn 1.0.4.28 for thge security updates but it near halves my speed. Any suggestions or is it time to just break down and buy an ASUS ROG? I am tired of being stuck on an out of date firmware version.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: R8000 speed issues for a long while now

When you updated the firmware, did you try a factory reset and manual reinstall? 

There was significant changes with the firmware and sometimes the full reset and installing new (not from a backup) is needed. 

Also, make sure qos, traffic monitoring, access control, parental controls are all disabled. 

Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 2 of 7
BlackOmega
Tutor

I went ahead and did the suggested factory resetting (I never use QOS, Parental Controls, or Traffic monitoring) I normally use access control with zero speed issues. In detail this is what I tried this AM:

1) Performed three OOKLA speed tests using the fastest server (speeds averaged 397Mbps) while still on firmware 1.0.4.28_10.1.54 with all my normal household devices connected

2) Upgraded to firmware 1.0.4.52_10.1.67

3) Performed Factory reset

4) Verified QOS, Parental Controls, Traffic Monitoring, and access control were all OFF (they all were by default)

5) Performed three OOKLA speed tests using same server as in #1 without setting ANYTHING other than my internet settings. As a side note I ensure no other devices were connected to the router other than my PC (speeds averaged 244Mbps)

6) For grins I turned on access control and manually added back several of my devices and retested speeds (averaged 242Mbps)

7) I restored the full settings backup I made and retested speeds (averaged 249Mbps)

8) Reverted to firmware 1.0.4.28_10.1.54 and performed factory reset the retested speeds without setting ANYTHING other than internet settings and having ONLY my PC connected (speeds averaged 402Mbps)

9) Restored full setting backup and retested speeds with all normal devices attached to router (speeds averaged 400Mbps)

I am at a complete loss, I don't like staying on this version firmware as it is vulnerable to some attacks from what I read. This is also not the first time this same exact issue happened, I had a speed decrease on an update not long after I first purchased the router and reverted to the prior version, a couple updates later I upgraded the firmware and the speed stayed normal.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

I wouldn't worry about missing out on vulnerabilities. Here's the release notes:

• Adds the Circle option to the router web interface.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the issue where the USB storage device was undetectable after performing a factory reset.
  • Fixes the issue where the client devices were unable to connect when the smart connect feature was enabled.
  • Fixes the issue where editing devices in the attached devices page did not work properly.
  • Fixes the low 5 GHz throughput and 2 GHz transmit power for South Korea.
  • Fixes a kernel panic issue.
  • Fixes Armor GUI issues.

If you're not having any of these issues, you can stay on the older version if its working for you. 

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

and here was the notes for the step in between those 2 firmwares.

New Features and Enhancements:

• Supports NETGEAR Armor
  • Removes the following features: iTunes Server, Downloader, Time Machine, Kwilt, DLNA and TiVo
  • Modifies the router web interface to support DDNS GDPR v3

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes stability issues that occurred under heavy loading.

so it doesn't look like any security fixes. 

Message 5 of 7
BlackOmega
Tutor

Thanks for that information, any clues as to why the slow down in some firmware?

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

The newer firmwares have the netgear armor feature built in. Not all devices have played nicely with armor. (sadly)

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E