Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 speed reduction

zac9500
Aspirant

R8000 speed reduction

Hi all, I've been putting up with this issue for a few months now but it's really starting to bug me on large downloads. 

I pay for 400mbps from Virgin Media in the U.K. I know I can get these speeds as the Nighthawk App has reached these speeds before over WiFi and so has my PC over ethernet.

However, I can ONLY achieve these speeds within a few hours after fully restarting the R8000 and my Virgin passthrough hub before it seems to lock me to 250-300mbps. No matter what cables I use, what device I'm on, ethernet or WiFi, I get maximum 280ish. Only by turning off the router and passthrough hub for 5 minutes and restarting do I get max download speeds and 400-420mbps and as I said, only for a short time. For context, I have 2 Nest Cameras connected (always on) via WiFi and some other smart devices around the house, but SURELY they can't be using 100mbps of WiFi that affects ethernet speeds too? 

I do not have QoS enabled, I don't have any restrictions or performance reducing/improving enhancements on in router settings that I know of. The only change I've made to advanced settings is setting the DNS addresses to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1. 

Does any one have any idea why the router seems to limit my speeds?

Many thanks in advance

Dan

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: R8000 speed reduction

What firmware are ou on? 

Are you sure the vigin hub is working properly in passthrough? 

Have you tried it with the vigin hub in router mode (disable its wifi) and the r8000 in access point mode?

Message 2 of 4
zac9500
Aspirant

Hi! Thanks for your reply. 

Firmware version: V1.0.4.68_10.1.75

I haven't tried that solution no, is that something that's recommended? I've never heard of that before! 

Thanks

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

its always worth a chance whenever you're dealing with an isp supplied modem/router. They aren't always coded the best. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7