R8000 stuck with slow wifi

Painkillers
Aspirant

R8000 stuck with slow wifi

I've been having this issue where my wifi just absoluely tanks in different areas of my house. I'll unplug and plug and my wifi will jump from 144 Mbit/s back to 11 Mbs and then later in the day get stuck back to 144 Mbit/s. This is from looking at my MacBook Pro's network utility.

I'm tired of constantly unplugging my router every day to reset the internet. I also have a Linksys wifi booster plugged in through the house, but that helped the slow internet speeds in the past since the router was in the corner of the house in a closet. 

My family pays for the 150/10 down/up Mbps speed for Cox. After running a speed test as of writing this, I'm gettign 2 down and 8 up. I've tried changing the 2.4ghz channels to 1,6 and 11 and nothing changes.

What is going on?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: R8000 stuck with slow wifi

Painkillers wrote: 

I'm tired of constantly unplugging my router every day to reset the internet. I also have a Linksys wifi booster plugged in through the house, but that helped the slow internet speeds in the past since the router was in the corner of the house in a closet. 

Is the closet air conditioned? You couldn't have located the router in a worst location. Obviously you skipped page 12 in the manual which suggest placement location of router, my guess it's getting overheated.

Message 2 of 6
Painkillers
Aspirant

@searay wrote:

Painkillers wrote: 

Is the closet air conditioned? You couldn't have located the router in a worst location. Obviously you skipped page 12 in the manual which suggest placement location of router, my guess it's getting overheated.

It's a large walk in closet in the master bedroom on the 2nd floor, which is where all the electrical was built in the house. The modem, the switcher, and the router all must be lcoated in the walk in closet.

It's infruiating, but the blame is on Standard Pacific Homes 

Message 3 of 6
netwrks
Master

@Painkillers wrote:

@searay wrote:

Painkillers wrote: 

It's a large walk in closet in the master bedroom on the 2nd floor, which is where all the electrical was built in the house. The modem, the switcher, and the router all must be lcoated in the walk in closet.

You can always purcahse a longer Ethernet Cable to connect between modem and router, and move it out of closet..

Message 4 of 6
Painkillers
Aspirant

@netwrks wrote:

@Painkillers wrote:

@searay wrote:

Painkillers wrote: 

You can always purcahse a longer Ethernet Cable to connect between modem and router, and move it out of closet..

I can see that as an easy fix, but there's a master bathroom that's outside the closet before the master bedroom. Sort of an annoyance to my family when my dad will be tripping over a 15m Ethernet cable on the way to the toilet in the middle of the night, lol.

Message 5 of 6
netwrks
Master

That's what they sell flat Ethernet cable for. Either tag to baseboard, or go under carpet. Or, have a look at powerline.. Irregardless, thet are always options to consider.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements