R8000 to EX7700 no internet issue multiple devices

BPsting23
Initiate

R8000 to EX7700 no internet issue multiple devices

Hello all, appreciate any help with this. I recently upgraded my internet to Gigabit through Fios at the ONT box. During which I decided to replace the Fios router with a new R8000 Nighthawk router. Set it up through the app and it worked great. However, to get the fiber directly to it I had to move it to one side of the house by the outdoor ONT box, leaving the other side of the house with a weaker connection. To address this is tried to add a new EX7700 Nighthawk Router, which I thought would be able to extend both 5 G networks and the 2G network that the R8000 produces(They are called 2G1, 5G1, and 5G2). It doesn't, it will only allow me to set up (1) of each, so I only have 2G1 and 5G2 extended, and 5G1 is unaffected by the extender. Dissapointing, but not a huge deal. After initial setup, I connected my iphone to the extended 5G2 network and it worked great. Super fast internet anywhere in the house. A few hours later I tried to connect my smart TV to the same 5G2 network and it showed a connection to the wifi but "no internet connectivity". I then tried my laptop and it said the same thing. I also noticed that I had lost connection with my Iphone as well. I then tried the extended 2G1 on each and got the same result. First device worked, but lost everything once I tried to connect a 2nd. When I tried to connect both to the 5G1 network, which doesn't go through the EX7700, they connected (Although with a weaker connection). So I went downstairs and turned off the EX77000, and was able to connect to all (3) networks with the weaker connection with as many devices as I wanted. I have very little experience or knowledge in the IT world, so I need some expertise. The netgear support team has been difficult to contact. I'm hoping this is a IP setting that can be adjusted in the EX7700 but don't have a clue as to how this would be done. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender, R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: R8000 to EX7700 no internet issue multiple devices

A couple things.

1. the EX7700 is a triband. But the tribands work a little different and I'll explain why. In a standard extender, each chip connects to the router's wifi. it has to recieve and then retransmit. and it can't do both at once so you automatically loose 50% of your throughput and your latency is increased. With the tri-bands, they reserve 1 of the 5ghz bands just for router----extender communication. This greatly reduces the speed hit that you'd take. That allows the other 5ghz and 2.4ghz to be stricktly extender------device communication. It ends up with much faster speeds and lower latency than going the standard extender route. That's why you don't "see" the 3rd band or why it doesn't setup the same

2. placement is key with extenders. Reason why is that many times interference or obstructions can cause issues. The mistake many make is they place an extender where they have poor service/no service. That's an issue as the extender doesn't have a good connection either. It needs to be in the middle. so it has a decent connection to extend. And sometimes things in the walls (think hvac) can block wifi signals. so many times a lateral move can help as much as moving a device closer. 

https://kb.netgear.com/25508/Where-should-I-place-my-NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-range-extender

3. what firmware is on the r8000? also key as the router is the backbone. There's always the chance its a firmware issue on the router causing the problems. And please dont' say "the latest". it doesn't help and many times, the latest itsn't the best.

4. Firwmare on the exetnder? 

Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 2 of 4
BPsting23
Initiate

Thank you for looking at this.The triband explanation makes perfect sense now. And I think the Extender is in a decent spot, but I could be wrong. The coverage indicator light is always bright white and never orange or red. But I'm certainly open to moving it if that will help.

The firmware on the router is V1.0.4.46 and the firmware on the extender is V1.0.0.206

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender, R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Another thing you can try. the 1.0.4.46 firmware isn't known for being the greatest for the R8000 because it added armor. Some have had better luck running version 1.0.4.28 which was prior to armor. You can always try installing that version, factory reset the r8000, and manually reinstall it. I wouldn't recommend installing from a backup because the firmware changed significantly between those 2 versions.

I'd also try different placements for the extender. You might be surprised how trying a couple different locations and speed testing on them can get you significant gains sometimes.
Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E