Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 wifi speed issue

roldgold
Aspirant

R8000 wifi speed issue

My ISP provides me with 120mbps. When I'm connected to the 2.4ghz band I'm only getting around 63mbps, however when I'm connected to the 5ghz band I'm getting 120mbps. Is this normal to have the much slower speed on the 2.4ghz band?

Thank you

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

Re: R8000 wifi speed issue

As a guess, it sounds like your 2.4ghz connection is probably shows around 130Mbps. So, divide that in half. You are pretty close to what you should be seeing. On 5ghz (shorter rnage - better throughput) probably seeing between 240-300Mbps, so the same rule applies, cut hat in half. Again, you are pretty close to you should be seeing. WIFI is based on theoretical throughput, not like wired, where it is an exact calculation. Not every environment is the same. Not every client is the same, not every device works the same with every router.

Lots of variable with WIFI. Environment, device type, WIFI client, (802.11a/b/g/n/.ac) phones - types of phones, wifi channel selection (weaker radios) laptops (better radios but all depends on what's in your laptop, and whether you have updated wireless client drivers). As you can see there is lots to consider for wifi.

For 2.4ghz, select channel 1,6, or 11. Don't leave any channels to auto. For 5ghz, the higher channels work better, but you ave to try different channels to see which one works best with 5ghz. (depending on what country you are in, of course). Also, ensure that WMM always stays enabled on your router, otherwise that will impact your wifi throughput, further.  If you have an andriod phone you can download the Genie app (don't load the one on your laptop) it has a wifi analyzer built in, so you can see what least congested channels work best for your wifi environment.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
netwrks
Master

As a guess, it sounds like your 2.4ghz connection is probably shows around 130Mbps. So, divide that in half. You are pretty close to what you should be seeing. On 5ghz (shorter rnage - better throughput) probably seeing between 240-300Mbps, so the same rule applies, cut hat in half. Again, you are pretty close to you should be seeing. WIFI is based on theoretical throughput, not like wired, where it is an exact calculation. Not every environment is the same. Not every client is the same, not every device works the same with every router.

Lots of variable with WIFI. Environment, device type, WIFI client, (802.11a/b/g/n/.ac) phones - types of phones, wifi channel selection (weaker radios) laptops (better radios but all depends on what's in your laptop, and whether you have updated wireless client drivers). As you can see there is lots to consider for wifi.

For 2.4ghz, select channel 1,6, or 11. Don't leave any channels to auto. For 5ghz, the higher channels work better, but you ave to try different channels to see which one works best with 5ghz. (depending on what country you are in, of course). Also, ensure that WMM always stays enabled on your router, otherwise that will impact your wifi throughput, further.  If you have an andriod phone you can download the Genie app (don't load the one on your laptop) it has a wifi analyzer built in, so you can see what least congested channels work best for your wifi environment.

Message 2 of 5
roldgold
Aspirant

No, my 2.4Ghz is showing 63mbps while my 5ghz is showing 120mbps when running speed test.

Thank you

Message 3 of 5
roldgold
Aspirant

Where do I find WMM in the router settings?

Thank you

Message 4 of 5
TheEther
Guru

What you are seeing is normal. It's common for the 2.4 GHz band to be much slower than the 5 GHz band. In addition to what @netwrks said, there are many more 2.4 GHz networks deployed than 5 GHz, channel widths are narrower (2.4 GHz almost always is restricted to 20 MHz channels vs 40 MHz and 80 MHz channels at 5 GHz), and 802.11ac is only available at 5 GHz.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7