Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000 - wifi works with IOS but not Windows 10 laptop

C9107
Aspirant

R8000 - wifi works with IOS but not Windows 10 laptop

Laptop has connected correctly for several years.

After some external cable issues we lost connection to the modem. Resolved that.

To restart we had to power off the modem and the router (several times) to get our desktop (cable connected to the router) working again but our laptop will not connect via wifi (nor will a fireTV).  Two Iphones do connect via wifi.

2 printers also offline, 1 cable connected to the router, 1 wifi.

Have tried updating firmware, just in case, but Nighthawk App on one of the Iphones says WiFi Not Detected.  Local Network is enabled.

When I try Routerlogin.net on Windows 10 from the cable connected desktop it says I'm not connected to the wifi network (true but I can't get there from the laptop)

Tried a factory reset but no change.

Suggestions appreciated?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5

@C9107 wrote:

After some external cable issues we lost connection to the modem. Resolved that.

To restart we had to power off the modem and the router (several times) to get our desktop (cable connected to the router) working again but our laptop will not connect via wifi (nor will a fireTV). 

What is that modem?

Remember, as Netgear's documentation explains, when restarting things, the sequence is important.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

As to the laptop, try running the Network troubleshooter. Windows likes to protect us from new networks that might be evil. In  reality, it often shuts us out of safe networks.

One thought is that you could tell Windows that you are on a "private network".

• Network and Internet settings
  • Network Status
  • Change Connection Properties
  • Network Profile
  • Private

I'm told that this is rubbish advice. But it has worked for me and others in the same boat.

Message 2 of 5
JohnQFlorida
Aspirant

@Michael's suggestions looked good to me.

A few additional answers will help troubleshoot further.  Can you clarify when you said "Laptop will not connect by wifi?"  Does that mean you can't connect to the wifi at all, period, a passphrase warning, or does it mean that you can connect, but once connected, the internet does not work? (It'll be easier to diagnose with that question answered.)

The rest of these are just guesses without knowing the answer to the question above.

1. Like @mike said, rebooting the cable modem may make Windows think your whole network is new, which it will default to the saver "Public network" settings.  (Setting the network to "private" may help.  (This guess has a flaw, it doesn't explain why the desktops work.)
  2. THe router's radio is turned off?  Yes, it's a setting. (See below to help you get into the router.)
  3. The router is set to bridge mode.  (Again, this suggestion has flaws, but it's possible.

Back on your desktop machine, If going to http://routerinfo.com doesn't take you to the router's web interface, it is a hint that maybe you're in bridge mode.  First, try http://192.168.1.1, http://192.168.0.1, and http://192.186.2.1 for the heck of it, one of them may be the Netgear router. (One of them my be your Cable modem, by the way, so try the others too.) Type in the default username/password from the sticker on the router, or (if you made a better/safer custom passwor, use that.)

If that fails, hit the Windows button, type in "CMD", and run the Command window.  At the prompt, type "ipconfig", and scroll up a bit, wherever you see a value in "Default Gateway", try http//<<whatever that value was>>.  One of these methods should get you to your router's login.

Last resort, although sometimes it's easier to go straight to this step:  if you can't log into the router, find the reset button/pinhole button on your router, press and hold, and start over from scratch as if you're setting up the router new from scratch.  Chances are your desktops (plugged in) would still work even if you did nothing, and also chances are your wifi would work using the wifi key on the sticker of your router.  Nowadays where each router has a unique key on it's sticker, it's not as deadly unsafe as the old days.  

Message 3 of 5
JohnQFlorida
Aspirant

On re-reading your original post, I forgot your IOS was working, so the radio button being off is off the table.  I'm leaning further toward the laptops thinking you're on a "public network". 

The other possibility, but let us know the answer to the question first, is there's some custom values in your TCP-IP settings to use a hard coded IP address, or possibly something on the router blocking MAC addresses, or possibly some advanced firewall rules.    

If it's a relatively straightforward home network and you hadn't configured several advanced options, giving up and starting from scratch isn't as bad as it seems, by the way.  I hate saying that, but sometimes it's true.   

Message 4 of 5
C9107
Aspirant

Replacing the cable between the modem and router may have resolved the problem.  Will keep our fingers crossed.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7