Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000

cwb90
Follower

R8000

After hooking up my router I noticed that I have at least 3 netgear choices for my wifi.  How do I know which one to choose?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

@cwb90wrote:

After hooking up my router I noticed that I have at least 3 netgear choices for my wifi.  How do I know which one to choose?

Well, you actually have 3, unless you used Smart Connect which combines the 2 5Ghz bands.

In most cases, the device and its network adapter will determine which to use. Adapters are either 2.4Ghz or Dual band 2.4 and 5Ghz capable. If you have a 2.4Ghz adapter it will NOT see the 5Ghz SSID so you'll have no choice. A dual band will see 2 or 3 SSIDs depending on how you set up the R8000.

Went you see both SSID's the choice is yours. There is a difference between the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. Connection speeds, again, determined by the Adapter on the device. The 2.4 can be anywhere from 150Mbps to 600Mbps or even higher, but most will be 300Mbps. 5Ghz will be significantly higher, from 600Mbps to over 1,300Mbps even. That is CONNECTION speed though, not throughput. Distance of the SSID signal is another issue. Basically the 5Ghz SSIS is stronger further out than the 2.4Ghz SSID, but it doesn't reach as far.

See https://kb.netgear.com/29396/What-is-the-difference-between-2-4-GHz-and-5GHz as well.

Which to use, well that is up to your and how well the connection performs. Generally speaking, turn on Smart Connect for the 5Ghz and use 5Ghz whenever it is discovered on a device. Signal weak, move that device to the 2.4Ghz and see if it works better.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

@cwb90wrote:

Well, you actually have 3, unless you used Smart Connect which combines the 2 5Ghz bands.

In most cases, the device and its network adapter will determine which to use. Adapters are either 2.4Ghz or Dual band 2.4 and 5Ghz capable. If you have a 2.4Ghz adapter it will NOT see the 5Ghz SSID so you'll have no choice. A dual band will see 2 or 3 SSIDs depending on how you set up the R8000.

Went you see both SSID's the choice is yours. There is a difference between the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. Connection speeds, again, determined by the Adapter on the device. The 2.4 can be anywhere from 150Mbps to 600Mbps or even higher, but most will be 300Mbps. 5Ghz will be significantly higher, from 600Mbps to over 1,300Mbps even. That is CONNECTION speed though, not throughput. Distance of the SSID signal is another issue. Basically the 5Ghz SSIS is stronger further out than the 2.4Ghz SSID, but it doesn't reach as far.

See https://kb.netgear.com/29396/What-is-the-difference-between-2-4-GHz-and-5GHz as well.

Which to use, well that is up to your and how well the connection performs. Generally speaking, turn on Smart Connect for the 5Ghz and use 5Ghz whenever it is discovered on a device. Signal weak, move that device to the 2.4Ghz and see if it works better.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7