Re: R8000P 2.4 ghz constantly dropping for almost a year now

g3niu5
Luminary

R8000P 2.4 ghz constantly dropping for almost a year now

So ive been having these problems for months now, im over it as ive been trying everything in my power to fix it.  My 2.4 network is absolutely garbage.  It is constantly losing connection.  My 5ghz networks work great no problem.  I have many devices that use 2.4 only and i have my google homes on it also(since then ive changed to the 5ghz)

I have the latest firmware, ive reset the router (twice) ive changed the channel from auto to different channels and im all out options.  Is this a hardware issue or what?  I would roll back to a older firmware but this happened months after the latest firmware at that time, it didnt happen after a firmware update

Also im looking at my logs and im seeing nothing but constant [DoS attack: RST Scan  is this anything related? not sure whats going on

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
myersw
Master

You have a lot more patience then I had. Sold my r8000p after about 6 months of flaky firmware. I quite the consumer grade routers as they all seem to have similar issues to one degree or another. 

Some folks have luck with turning smart connect off if you have it on. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 9
g3niu5
Luminary

If this is such a common problem why are we being ignored. $280 router and this is what we get? Won't ever buy another Netgear product again.
Message 3 of 9
TheShizFizzle
Aspirant

It could be that the router simply can't keep up. I know these routers are badass, but they are no Enterprise system. I have recently come across a client who uses a Nighthawk X10 R9000. He has issues with his bandwidth reaching more than 15 ft away and drops connection when all family members are home and running devices. He runs 11 devices wirelessly as an idle load on his router and has no problem until about 16+ devices are load bearing on his wifi. He has about 930Mbps up and down on his hardwire lines and generally sees between 500-600 Mbps on wifi with his nest cameras off. Once everyone gets home tho, sucks to be him. As much as I would like to sit here and tell you dual bands and tri bands can support 64 or 96 devices, you still have to manage your stress on the throughput. If every devices isnt all that load bearing, sure no problem, run 32-64 devices. But when, like my client, you run high load bearing draws like 50-90Mbps minimum devices such as a nest camera system it's not likely any residential router can handle that load with 4-6 cameras + 15 or more devices. You can try things like reverting back to the last firmware version, or even get WiFi analyser and pick the channel with the least traffic in your area. You turn off all smart settings and still see no change. If one of those did help, great. However, in the instance of my client, who wants the freedom to add more cameras and be able to double the devices, it's more likely to go with something commercial such as an Enterprise system. When you have many devices connected your router calls and receives data from devices in a "circular" fashion if you will. It will send then receive from each individual device starting with device #1 and work it's way through until it get to the last device, rinse and repeat. Depending on how much data is being sent/received, no matter the speed of your internet, you router is only going to be able to think through it so fast. Typically, this is why high end residential routers are better because they think faster with 1.7GHz quad core processors such as the R9000 that my client uses. Doesn't mean they can't fall short of what you need even tho they can support 64-96 devices with dual band/tri band routers. It's like saying your car can climb a mountain simply because it's equiped with a V6 and it runs.
Message 4 of 9
g3niu5
Luminary

I totally understand what you're saying, but I don't think I this is the case for my situation. I hooked up my older Asus and it handled everything just fine. Also, back to your statement, would not having stuff spread on 3 different bands make a difference? On my 2.4 all I had were Google homes and wifi outlets and I didn't think that would draw too much.
Also would my 5ghz band not be affected either?
Message 5 of 9

Greetings,

Next week marks 1 yr of R8000P ownership for me.  The router itself, wired / wireless performance has been good over all.  FW has been very buggy with many core features broken or simply unuseable.  I am not using many of the things routers are not designed to do.  Network attached storage, print server, etc.  I have a NAS and my printer is network capable. 

I am not using SMART Connect, Traffic Meter or QoS, all of which have been known to cause performance issues.

Up until (a couple of months ago) when I upgraded to gigabit internet, I was using Access Control.  But after testing from a manual FW flash and reset, I found that it too when enabled would cause bandwidth degredation (both wireless and wired).  This was on FW 1.4.1.30.  I have not tried to enable AC in 1.4.1.42.  (maybe I will today).  I've been using Netgear products for about 17-18 yrs.  Their hardware is very good, from a consumer router standpoint.  The FW however, has been so poor and for so long, that even I am looking at other products.  What most of us "longer term" users have tried to impart on management is the importance of quality which ultimately leads to retention and repeat business.  This does not appear to be Netgear's focus.  They are just pushing for that first sale, then leaving folks high and dry, with broken (half baked) buggy, unreliable FW.  I assure you, it wasn't always like this, but here we are.

Now, none of us can really remember a time when most everything worked, bugs were getting fixed, and when quality and reliability were high.  Will this ever return, maybe some day?

@g3niu5 

I hope that you are flashing FW manually from a system connected directly to your R8000P via ethernet, and are not using Genie, Nighthawk App or wireless to perform updates.  These have been proven to be largely unreliable...  working in the majority of cases and time until they fail.  The same goes for Autocheck and update in the GUI or Automatic Updates.  My recommendation, don't do it.  FW updates should be planned, performed manually over a wired connection and on your terms. 

Testing:  Very first thing to do.  Are you getting full speed when you are connected directly to your ISP's modem or router?  Is that device configured properly so it does not create a double NAT situation, or interfere with the wireless broadcast of the Nighthawk?

Now connect the Nighthawk in between your modem/router (combo) and connect your PC to it.  If you have not upgraded its FW manually as described above, do so.  Extra measure, but probably not needed (perform a factory reset) after the flash.  Now allow the Nighthawk to detect your internet connection.  Make no other changes.  Test your speeds (wired and wireless).  Keep a log.

Now reboot.  Test speeds again, note the results.  Make one chage at a time, test speeds after each.  Example in 1.4.1.30 I got full speed 980 down / 45 up with a default configuration, only allowed the Nighthawk to detect my internet connection from the modem.  I then enabled Access Control.  Test again, still full speed.  Reboot and boom, downstream bandwidth is now 500Mbps at best. 

Reflashed FW again.  Performed the same steps. Enable AC and reboot, 50% downstream bandwidth.  I do extensive testing of my wireless the same way.  I test perfomance before, and immediately after a single change, and again after a reboot.  To save time, you can make incremental back up's of your .cfg (same FW version only) and reapply accordingly to speed up testing of features and the impact of configuration changes on performance.

I will not lie, it can be exhaustive and the majority of users/consumers don't want to deal with this.  Frankly, I don't blame anyone for that.  This alone is where Netgear has failed its established user base.  Due to the type of work I do, its easy for me to rip through a new FW release.  This is not true for the average consimer who is just looking for ease of set up, use and reliable performance.  I know what people are thinking, "I didn't sign up for this" and its true.  People are not getting the qaulity or value from their purchases these days. 

This has been brought up and discussed to infinity.  Thanks for reading.  We can try to help if you've got the patience and time. 

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 6 of 9
g3niu5
Luminary

Thanks for your response, I will do all the testing when I get home. I have all those settings you mentioned disabled. As far as speeds go I am getting full speeds both directly from modem, directly from router, and on my 5ghz bands. (Only have 400 down)
Will reflash manually again and then go from there
Thanks!
Message 7 of 9
TheMeester
Aspirant

I have been having the same issues with my R8000P.  I'm super frustrated at this point.  I have gigabit fiber into my house and the router is testing download speed at 800Mbps+ so I know that I have a big enough pipe.  In spite of this, my 2.4GHz network performance is HORRENDOUS.  I'm beyond upset after having spent $200 for this device.  My old Apple Airport router performed flawlessly and I had a measley Time-Warner pipe of 20 Mbps.

*Super* disappointed!

Message 8 of 9
g3niu5
Luminary

Smh, I did a.bit more digging and few mentions of a Google bug still may be affecting the routers but not sure. At this point I'm waiting for a sale on a mesh system and throwing this away
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements