Stohr
Tutor

R8000P AC4000 Block List Problem

I have the newest Firmware 1.4.1.24  etc for my Nighthawk X6S R8000P-100NAS AC4000 unit.  The OS is Windows 10 Home on a home computer.  I have a new Motorola modem  model MB8600.  One of the problems I have besides multiple daily reboots is the Block List.  If I enter a word in the Block List, I get 6 to 8 emails from my router Log using that word and appending a www.  and a .com to the word.  This can happen for a couple of days before stopping.  It lists my iPhone every time as the source of the attempt to go to the fictious site.  I have set the iPhone Restrictions to on and block the words enterred in the Block List in an effort to stop this from happening but it does not stop it.  This has been going on since the I installed the Beta Firmware and has continued after the installed the newest Firmware.  PLEASE! Netgear, find what is causing this.  It may be part of a bigger problem and that makes me concerned about the routers security.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
Christian_R
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: R8000P AC4000 Block List Problem

Hello @Stohr

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your R8000P. I would like to ask what firmware were you using before you installed the beta firmware and if this issue was introduced in firmware's prior to the beta firmware. 

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 2 of 6
Stohr
Tutor

As stated in the original message, this started when I installed the last Beta Firmware.  Now, a new strange occurrence has begun.  AFTER POSTING MY ORIGINAL MESSAGE, my email inbox has become flooded with router log messages, nearly 300 emails, claiming that my main computer or my iPhone has tried to contact www top com (dot removed to avoid creating a link).  This has to be an attack on my network that is coming from the router.  i have a lot of security in place to try and prevent any harmful programs from installing on my computer.  I use Kaspersky and CCleaner which are updated properly and I have set Windows Powershell not to install anything with out my approval.  I have Remote Access turned off on the router and on my PC.  Plus I have turned off any Windows Service that is not necessary for basic computer use.  The router is the security risk.  If new firmware is not released soon, this router is going bye-bye and I buy another brand.

Message 3 of 6
Christian_R
NETGEAR Moderator

@Stohr

I would like for support to get in contact with you if you are willing to work on the issue. Please let me know and I will send you a PM. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 4 of 6
Stohr
Tutor

I just spent the day Resetting the router and replacing the Firmware with the oldest version then updating to the newest Firmware.  I am now waiting to see if it paid off.

Message 5 of 6
Stohr
Tutor

I talked to Support and worked with them on the Block Site list.  They informed me of a router page I did not know about, .... / debug.htm.  I used it to generate some router report which I checkedout and saw nothing helpful.  However, I say an option at the bottom of the debug page, Automatic Debug, which I selected.  I have had no more unusual Block Site list problems.  I also, used the Restricted feature on my wife's and my iPhones to match the words that were triggering this unusual problem.  There has been no more problems with the Block Site list.  Unforunitly the need to reboot the router multiple times per day still exists but has been reduced in number.  I am going to login to the router debug page and turn off the Automatic Debugging feature and see what happens.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements