R8000P Can’t update firmware and wrong country code

El_Gato
Aspirant

R8000P Can’t update firmware and wrong country code

I have tried updating the firmware multiple times. I have been having issues with the router generally. Recently I scanned my network and saw that my router’s country code is set to CA (Canada) when in fact I am US. I had been connecting to the router and it has incorrectly labeled the country in which I am operating it in. I’m not even close to the border to Canada. This problem was only recently spotted and might explain the difficulty I sometimes would have connecting to the network. This issue is especially worrisome because I use “smart connect” and rely on the router to decide which band to place devices. When I looked further into the scan the 5G bands show with a “US” country code. So when I connect with smart connect I am always on a country code north of the border. But not on the 5G apparently but I can’t be sure. Meanwhile, I cannot update the firmware either via the a Nighthawk app or by connecting network cable to router to access the user interface and load new firmware. I need help getting the country code corrected and updating the firmware. All help, please.
Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: R8000P Can’t update firmware and wrong country code

@El_Gato wrote:
Recently I scanned my network and saw that my router’s country code is set to CA (Canada) when in fact I am US.

This issue is especially worrisome because I use “smart connect” and rely on the router to decide which band to place devices. When I looked further into the scan the 5G bands show with a “US” country code.

So when I connect with smart connect I am always on a country code north of the border. But not on the 5G apparently but I can’t be sure.

I need help getting the country code corrected and updating the firmware.

Same regulatory area/regulations for the 2.4 GHz band - answered a hunderd times already.  Should not cause an issue - looks silly however.

@El_Gato wrote:
Meanwhile, I cannot update the firmware either via the a Nighthawk app or by connecting network cable to router to access the user interface and load new firmware.

Current firmware?

Any problem reported by the App?

Do not use automatic check and update.  Its unreliable and almost as bad as trying to update wirelessly.

To perform the update manually, downloading the file to your local machine connected via ethernet.  (best, safest method).  Downoad the file and extract it.  It has to be unzipped.  The file you will use for upgrade has the extension .chk.  Do as you did previously, browse to the folder where you unzipped the download from and point it to the file ending in .chk.

Press the upgrade button and wait for the process to finish.  The router will reboot when complete.

Message 2 of 5
El_Gato
Aspirant

V1.4.1.50

The App gives a "Your Firmware is Up To Date" message. But the current version remains. 

I will give the .chk a try and see what happens and provide the result. 

Thank you for the help.  Much appreciated.  

Message 3 of 5

Greetings,

What these users are reporting is unfortunately (likely) correct. I am only aware of a handful of users who have been successful updating from 1.4.1.50 to 1.4.1.62.  I being one of them.

I reported this a month ago to the mods who said it was now with the development team, however I haven't seen a new FW release.  This is affecting more than the R8000P, others reported the same issue on the R7960p which shares the same FW.

I don't know how many people thiis is affecting, as I only saw about 6 threads in total, but all are reporting the same issue/challenge and have tried updating manually via a wired connection unsuccessfully.  Router goes through the update process, completes successfully, restarts but displays the same FW version it had prior to the update.   

I have been running 1.4.1.62 for about 6 weeks now and have no issues with connections, speed or reliability, but realize it doesn't help others much if they can't upgrade as well. 

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 4 of 5
JI3ird
Aspirant

Same Issue. Can't get any support out of Netgear. Can't get them to RMA the device without paying for phone support.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E