Re: R8000P Firmware 1.3.0.10 Issues

jaytuthill
Aspirant

R8000P Firmware 1.3.0.10 Issues

Hi Community,

Have had to reboot my X6S AC4000 several times since upgrating the firmware to 1.3.0.10 because the internet connection stops. This is happening on wireless and wired connections. Is anyone else experiencing this behavior? If so, any suggestions. Thanks

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 28
JamesGL
Master

Hi jaytuthill,

Did you reset the router after the update?

Message 2 of 28
jaytuthill
Aspirant

I'm not sure if I did an internal reboot, but if it came on during the update, I most likely did a reboot from the admin net gui. I have done several hard reboots from the device itself using the on/off switch with a 30 count. Today I did an internal reboot from the advanced page of the net gui after loggin on as an admin. It can take a few days for a failure; so I will be watching closely to see what happens.

Regards...jaytuthill 

Message 3 of 28
antinode
Guru

> Did you reset the router after the update?

> [...] reboot [...] reboot [...] reboots [...]

"reset" and "reboot" are spelled differently for a reason.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Instructions for saving,
restoring, and resetting settings should be in it.  Look for "Factory
Settings".

Message 4 of 28
jaytuthill
Aspirant

I performed the reset as requested and reloaded the cfg file. No issues have occurred during the past 8 hours. If this does not fix the problem, I will repost. Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 28
jaytuthill
Aspirant

The router failed today at 9:30 am EST. I am going to load the original firmware V1.1.3.2_1.1.74 that the router was set to when it was purchased and see if that version has issues. If so, I am going to submit for a replacement product. If not, I will reload the revised firmware versions one at a time and let each one run for one week or until there is an issue: whichever comes first. If I get another failure, I will return the router for replacement while it is on warranty.

Message 6 of 28
Deepsix
Tutor

I'm having the exact same problem. I bought up the app and it said there was an update and so i updated. I guess if my router is working fine I won't be updating anymore.

Oh and when you follow the directions to update and the router reboots itself that should be it. No need to reboot again or do anything thing else but enjoy the new firmware. The whole did you try this and did you try that = I buy a different router and this one gets tossed in the garbage.

Message 7 of 28
htroudi
Apprentice

Is this true????????

After making a typical firmware update you need to do another reboot????

I've updated through the app three times since I've bought the router.

Still no issues......am I only lucky or what?

Message 8 of 28
Jetsk1
Initiate

Same issues here. I have to power-cycle my R8000P also with firmware v1.3.0.10_1.2.2 every other day. I'm really not impressed with the lack of stability and last of testing on Netgear's part PRIOR to releasing so called production Firmware. We are not beta testers here. We spent a lot of money for these routers and expect better.

Message 9 of 28
Savagepa9an
Tutor

Ppl suggest that it may be a hardware issue rather than firmware. If so, could it be the power not putting out enough amps?

The R7000/R7800 power supply put out 3.5 amp, but the R8000P has an additional radio. I would assume it needs at least the same amps that the R7800/7000 needs. But for some reason, the R8000P gets a max of 3.16 amps from its power supply.

Sometimes I have to power cycle just to log into my router.

Message 10 of 28
htroudi
Apprentice

Ok this sounds interesting. I hope some Netgear employee will get back with more information according to this thoughts. At least that you're own us. Your customers. !!!
As someone said earlier in this thread......WE ARE NOT BETA-TESTERS. Frankly we're quite the opposite cause we all bought one of your flagship modells. And they are not comming for free. That's for sure!!
Message 11 of 28
Savagepa9an
Tutor

Sometimes I think Netgear just got lucky with the R7800.

Message 12 of 28
IrvSp
Master

I assume the R8000P has the same power requirements as the R8000 I have, and the PSU is rated at 19V/3.16A DC output.

The R7000 is quite different, 12V/3.5A DC output.

Even though the amperage is higher on the R7000, the voltage is quite a bit lower.

All depends on the inside design of the router and chips used.

Message 13 of 28
Savagepa9an
Tutor

I see. Do you think the firmware is buggy or is the hardware the culprit?

Message 14 of 28
IrvSp
Master

@Savagepa9anwrote:

I see. Do you think the firmware is buggy or is the hardware the culprit?

Wouldn't think it were a h/w problem, otherwise other issues on a fairly old released router would have surfaced on the R8000. Possible a firmware problem I guess on the R8000P, but is has more bandwidth than the R8000 which is AC3200 vs the R8000P which is AC4000.

Again, probably only Netgear would be able to answer the question, but comparing PSU's to the R7000 is meaningless.

Since that is a fairly new router if you're still in Warranty, call Netgear.

Message 15 of 28
schumaku
Guru

@Savagepa9anwrote:

The R7000/R7800 power supply put out 3.5 amp, but the R8000P has an additional radio. I would assume it needs at least the same amps that the R7800/7000 needs. But for some reason, the R8000P gets a max of 3.16 amps from its power supply.

The R8000P (just like the R8000, R8900, R9000) is coming with a 60 W power supply, while the R7000/7800 does come with a 40 or 42 W unit. That's plenty to operate it.

Message 16 of 28
Deepsix
Tutor

This forum is useless. I can’t unsubscribe from it fast enough. Is hardware the issue? Hardware? HARDWARE? People are using this router for months with no problem and then updating their FIRMWARE and within minutes are getting drops in connection. So I guess I went back to the previous firmware and didn’t have an issue anymore. Thanks for the advice on doing that. Lololol just kidding. I did that myself. Now which other router brand to Buy with my new found stability. It’s a shame though the HARDWARE is great! You millennials might not remember but it was around the year 1996 that companies in mass started to make you the customer be their product tester. So how do you like that free service you give to netgear?
Message 17 of 28
Savagepa9an
Tutor

@Deepsixwrote:
This forum is useless. I can’t unsubscribe from it fast enough. Is hardware the issue? Hardware? HARDWARE? People are using this router for months with no problem and then updating their FIRMWARE and within minutes are getting drops in connection. So I guess I went back to the previous firmware and didn’t have an issue anymore. Thanks for the advice on doing that. Lololol just kidding. I did that myself. Now which other router brand to Buy with my new found stability. It’s a shame though the HARDWARE is great! You millennials might not remember but it was around the year 1996 that companies in mass started to make you the customer be their product tester. So how do you like that free service you give to netgear?

What firmware version are you finding to be the most stable for your router?  I've used the latest firmware and a few of the older firmware without any success. I reset to factory default and hard resets and nothing makes a difference. After a few minutes I lose internet and I can't even log into my router. I will not use the original firmware as it is full of securiy holes and so is most of the other older firmware.

Message 18 of 28
GaWd
Luminary

I came to the forums to see if I should update the firmware on my R7900P, but I can see things are going *real* well with new updatees. lol

Guess I'll keep my ancient-but stable-firmware for a while longer.

Message 19 of 28
Noroxus
Aspirant

Is everyone else that is having this issue using a VPN? I'm having this issue as well and I noticed the release notes for 1.3.0.10 say "Fixes VPN reconnect issue". I'm thinking there is a bug introduced with this fix that is causing the connection drop when our VPNs reconnect since some are reporting the connection drop every other day and others sooner etc. Mine is dropping every single day in the afternoon when I get home from work. Idk, just a thought...

Message 20 of 28
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

If you have intermittent Internet connection issue, please check the beta firmware below.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Beta-Firmware-for-R8000P-only-if-you-have-th...

Message 21 of 28
purescripts
Guide

Same model, same firmware, same issue. Router two weeks old hasn’t worked consistently since it was plugged in. If this isn’t resolved I will be discarding this and staying away from netgear for life as well as anyone I talk to since I’m their go to for stuff like this
Message 22 of 28
vipsin
Aspirant

R8000P Firmware 1.3.0.10 Issues (Attached Devices List)

Found very strange issue in R8000P firmware - 1.3.0 that devices connected on 2.4ghz appears & disapperas in attached devices. Already had ticket for the same issue with support engineer but still no luck. At times devices connected on 2.4ghz also stops responding & the only fix is to reboot the router. I think it would be better if the router has somewhere to configure to reboot once in 24hours to let it keep working rather than getting hung / stuck.

Please suggest, if any one facing or observed the same issue with R8000p

Message 23 of 28
ZappaFan
Aspirant

Re: R8000P Firmware 1.3.0.10 Issues (Attached Devices List)

@vipsin wrote:

Found very strange issue in R8000P firmware - 1.3.0 that devices connected on 2.4ghz appears & disapperas in attached devices. Already had ticket for the same issue with support engineer but still no luck. At times devices connected on 2.4ghz also stops responding & the only fix is to reboot the router. I think it would be better if the router has somewhere to configure to reboot once in 24hours to let it keep working rather than getting hung / stuck.

Please suggest, if any one facing or observed the same issue with R8000p

I have a similar issue.  I have devices that I know are connected to the router on 2.4 or 5 band and sometimes they show up in the Connected Devices list and sometime sthey don't.  I reset router to default and reconfigured.  Still same issue.  I just gave up and stopped looking on the router to see what is connected.  Not a big deal but annoying none the less.

Message 24 of 28
AlexGardi
Initiate

Re: R8000P Firmware 1.3.0.10 Issues (Attached Devices List)

Hey everyone,

I was having lots of issues with this beast (!). The WiFi was disappearing unexpectedly (devices could not connect), or internet was becoming unavailable randomly. The only solution would be to reboot or to re-factory-reset the device. As 1 month passed, I could not return it to Amazon.

Finally, as the beta firmware link had also been removed, the only chance I had left was to re-install the V1.3.0.10_1.2.2 firmware. (I know it sounds unnecessary and redundant, but I did it anyway).

So far, so good. All is functional for the last 12 hours.

I will report back with my findings in a week, unless the router stops responding sooner.

Alex

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements