Highlighted
Tutor

R8000P Firmware Won't Upgrade

I am running firmware 1.4.1.50 and have the message telling me that a firmware upgrade is available.  It's showing that 1.4.1.64_1.3.25 is available.  I have tried to update multiple times, both automatically and manually to to avail. Of course I bought the router in March 2020 so they won't help me without paying.

I've read other threads but didn't see a definite fix.  Does anyone have one (besides trashing this piece of junk)?

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: R8000P Firmware Won't Upgrade

This could likely be due to a known issue...if so, you are likely under the 1 year warranty so should be covered to submit an RMA request to replace it..

But first try the real manual process listed here, as i wasnt sure if this is what you meant by trying manually...

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

--

@MSTEVEN5 wrote:

I am running firmware 1.4.1.50 and have the message telling me that a firmware upgrade is available.  It's showing that 1.4.1.64_1.3.25 is available.  I have tried to update multiple times, both automatically and manually to to avail. Of course I bought the router in March 2020 so they won't help me without paying.

I've read other threads but didn't see a definite fix.  Does anyone have one (besides trashing this piece of junk)?

Message 2 of 13
Highlighted

@MSTEVEN5 wrote:

I have tried to update multiple times, both automatically and manually to to avail.

What happens when you try?

I'm afraid that "to no avail" provides few diagnostic clues.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 13
Highlighted
Tutor

It goes through the process but the version doesn't change and I continue to get the message that there is an update available.

Message 4 of 13
Highlighted
Luminary

@MSTEVEN5 wrote:

It goes through the process but the version doesn't change and I continue to get the message that there is an update available.

Pretty much the end-all...factory reset via the reset button, TFTP firmware upload, factory reset again, TFTP firmware upload second time.

Sounds like you may be there..if so, then submit the RMA request w/ Netgear.

Message 5 of 13
Highlighted
Initiate

So what is the solution here?  I see there are TWO firmware updates released after the version that I currently have.  I am unable to update firmware either automatically or manually.  This is ridiculous.  I can't open a support ticket becuase I purchased this in June 2019.  So this was Netgears flagship router and cost me over $300 and I can't do a simple firmware update?  That is insane!  Also, how does the average user deal with this?  I am looking at threads and people are doing hard resents and all these technical adjustments and what not - I am not a network engineer.  Why can't I click the button - UPDATE and have it just update??   This is NUTS!  

I currently have v1.4.1.50   I can't update to ANY firmware after that and there are TWO!  

Message 6 of 13
Highlighted

@BOGY25 wrote:

So this was Netgears flagship router...

Not really. In fact, far from it.

I assume that you have been through all the usual steps that the people before you in this discussion have tried to update the firmware. They should work for this device, but clearly not.

TFTP is the heavy duty move, but it isn't the easiest thing to do, so there is a chance that people haven't quite got it right.

Before you go down that road, there is more severe, recovery reset, that you could try:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

If it works, you may be able to use the usual method to flash the firmware again.

Download the latest firmware for your device – or an older version if that is what you want – and read the Release Notes for how to install it.

If that fails, you are into TFTP country.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This also explains how to tell Windows to use TFTP on your PC.

This isn't the easiest operation, so if you are forced to use it, you could try a web search to find videos that guide you through the process.

For other updates, Netgear sometimes tells people to restart the router before the update. It might help to try a reset before and after the restart.

It might be wirth trying these moves without an Internet connection. Just connect the router to a PC and work from there.

Whatever you do, do not update over wifi.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 7 of 13
Highlighted
Initiate

I appreciate all the info but I have tried these options you list and have not been able to get the firmare to update.  What I did NOT try is TFTP and like I said earlier in my post should the average user know how to do TFTP updates??  If that is the case I can't see recommending Netgear for ANYONE other than network engineers or somehting.  As for the 'flag ship' issue - at the time of my purchase it was Netgears 'best' option so I went with it thinking of future proofing my network.  Had I known a simple firmware update would be such a chore I wouldn not have purchased this router.  I have the R7000 and it was overheating so I attached a fan to it and that solved the problem.  However it was 5 years old so I thought I would purchase another working from home and all I wanted a solid router.  So I went with the R8000P - wish I didn't at this point.  Well, I will just leave it in firmware v1.4.1.50 and hope it lasts for a few more years.  Then I will purchase some other brand.  Take care

Message 8 of 13
Highlighted

@BOGY25 wrote:

What I did NOT try is TFTP and like I said earlier in my post should the average user know how to do TFTP updates?? 

Indeed, TFTP should not be necessary. So why did you turn up here late in the day? To rant?

Everyone else seems to be looking for solutions.That's why I tried to add to the roster of things to try.

After all, you did ask "So what is the solution here?"

Flagship and "cutting edge" are not the same thing. The R8000P was never going to be a "flagship". It just tried to feed a demand from "informed" buyers for "AC4000" wifi, one of those marketing labels used to excite gullible punters, few of who would notice any difference.

The R7000, by contrast, was a flagship product for its time. Hence it sales.

Hot on its heels came the R7800, which many experienced user still swear by as the current "go to" router for people who are not impressed by "go fast" labels and gewgaws that they will never notice in operation.

Just another user.

Message 9 of 13
Highlighted
Tutor

> I ndeed, TFTP should not be necessary. So why did you turn up here late in the day? To rant?

> Everyone else seems to be looking for solutions.That's why I tried to add to the roster of things to try.

> After all, you did ask "So what is the solution here?"

The point is, when the router shows an upgrade is available. and you click "yes" and it appears the upgrade is ker-chunking along, the device reboots and you login back in the expectation is the upgrade was good (if not, you need an error log message of some kind), yet, you see "Upgrade available", and you rinse/lather/repeat.

This is rediculous. This is not 1979, where you tftp software around or use 5.25" floppies. Remember those commercials where a computer wasns't working during a presentation and some shouts from the audience "Try edit config.sys". We are way past this days with software upgrades.

Netgear needs to fix this.

Message 10 of 13
Highlighted
Tutor

I too tried the auto-upgrade, and experienced the same issue as the OP.

NETGEAR, PLEASE LISTEN UP... more observations: After the "upgrade", I tried to connect via wireless and couldn't, never had this problem with previous updates. I had to connect via UTP to logon to the router. It as if it has done a pseudo-factory reset. As I went through the initial set-up process, the password I was given for the WiFi was different than the default provided with the device, even the login password had to be changed; I did have to do a factory reset a few months ago, and the factory password was recovered.

No idea what occured as the installed version still said V1.4.1.50_1.3.10. I have not tried to manually download and install. I'm going to wait until the next update is released, probably V1.5.1 (V1.5 would be a minor release and V1.5.1 would be the patches for V1.5 - been doing computers for a very long time....)

I do keep a backup config, reloaded it and my config came back.

There is something odd about the V1.4.1.50_1.3.10  to 1.4.1.64_1.3.25 upgrade.

Have others had had this experience? Like I said in a previous post here, Netgear is not a cheesy vendor. I've used Netgear routers, switches and WiFi devices for ~15 years. I'm just surprised this passed regression testing for bug clean-up and that the installation process was tested in-house and then with external beta customers before production release. I don't think I'm asking to much for QA.

I'm an IT infrastructure consultant with Tier 1 service providers, defense contractor, Cisco, Comcast, Gartner, The IMF, US Treasury/FedReserve and major companies.

I know a thing ot two because I've done a thing or two the past 37 years.

Message 11 of 13
Highlighted
Tutor

I had the same experience of it doing a partial reset after the last upgrade that worked.  Had to reload my settings.  It looks like Netgear removed the version R8000P-V1.4.1.64_1.3.25 that was posted on their download page.  They now have version 1.0.4.62 posted.  Hopefully this means they are aware and working to fix the issue.

Message 12 of 13
Highlighted
Guide

I'm in the same boat.  I can't update to the latest version.  I also can't rollback to 1.4.1.30 and can't find a fix anywhere.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 19 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements