Re: R8000P Firmware Won't Upgrade

What is the point?

Are you trying to tell me that this product is not a firewall? And that it a router?

If that is the case then I guess Netgear has me, my bad.

I suppose the inabilty for firmware to upgrade on a router less than a year old must be normal functioning.

I'm sorry for wasting your time.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 26 of 64

@winfield123 wrote:

Are you trying to tell me that this product is not a firewall? And that it a router?

Not at all. Who said that? By saying "Where do firewalls come into the picture?" I was asking for clarification and enlightenment.

When Netgear issues new firmware, the only thing it says on the "release notes" is "Security updates".

The issue of "firewalls" rarely arises here, usually when people ask how they can access firewall settings on a router. The answer is usually "you can't".

I was hoping that you could provide useful insights into how Netgear's routers do their firewall thing and how the firmware is involved.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 27 of 64
BOGY25
Guide

Hey Michael, will you please go away? You keep questioning our posts as if we are making this up. Just like my post you questioned it, my reasoning for posting and also tried to correct me. Listen, the **bleep**ing firmware won't update. No matter what we do. And netgear won't give us a solution. Period. Fact of the matter is they can't figure out a simple issue like a firmware update problem. The most basic of all functions. That's a big problem if you are a customer and is concerning. If you were in my office I'd fire you for taking over a year to correct an issue. Just like that. Ok?
Message 28 of 64

@BOGY25 wrote:
Hey Michael, will you please go away?

Aren't we allowed to ask for clarification of interesting messages?

Where have I raised any doubts about this being an important issue? So far I have tried to lob in suggestions based on what has happened in the past,  often with positive results. That you don't like it, especially when people correct your misunderstandings, matters not a bit to me.

Perhaps, instead of hijacking the discussion, just one of several community "rules" that you have cast aside, you could leave the conversation to people who are trying to help @winfield123 with their problem.

On which, TFTP isn't the only way to attack the firmware issue. But you probably know all about that.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 29 of 64

Please accept my apology if I said anything inappropriate here.

Message 30 of 64

@winfield123 wrote:

Please accept my apology if I said anything inappropriate here.

You didn't. But I should have said that the person who kicked off this conversation was @MSTEVEN5 who I started off trying to offer the usual advice.

How old is your R8000P? Anything less than a year is still in warranty territory.

It can be a painful journey, but it will at least kick aside those "90-days are over" ripostes.

By starting the RMA process, you can at least prod the support people at Netgear to look at your issue.

Start the RMA process by checking MyNetgear.

How do I request a Return Material Authorization (RMA)? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Just another user.

Message 31 of 64

It's less than a year old but older than three months.

I called support on the 24th hoping they would RMA but they needed to go through troubleshooting, I didn't have time due to the holiday.

So I opened a new support ticket yesterday and was told that the device is working.

They would not help me with getting the firmware updated, I guess since I am past the 3 months.

Message 32 of 64

@winfield123 wrote:

It's less than a year old but older than three months.

I called support on the 24th hoping they would RMA but they needed to go through troubleshooting, I didn't have time due to the holiday.

So I opened a new support ticket yesterday and was told that the device is working.

They would not help me with getting the firmware updated, I guess since I am past the 3 months.

Not good. The three months limit has nothing to do with the warranty. If the firmware won't update I'd say that the thing is not performing as advertised.

If they refuse to let you start the RMA process, perhaps one of the Netgear moderators can pick up the pieces. Maybe @Christian_R, @ChristineT or @DexterJB can help.

Just another user.

Message 33 of 64
Uxorious
Tutor

Well Netgear might not want to help me, so I chatted with Amazon and they sent me a free replacement. Wonderful service. I'm pleased to confirm that the replacement router updated to the latest firmware. So happy for now.

Message 34 of 64

Netgear is replacing mine. 

Message 35 of 64
BOGY25
Guide

That's great for you but the rest of us have a firmware that prevents our routers from updating. I will never buy Netgear ever again. I purchased this thinking it would last me years. I don't want to get another router because I paid $330 for this thing in March 2020. I am not rich and can't afford buying $300+ routers ever few months because they can't do a simple firmware update. Very frustrating. I might take legal action as I have read others have.
Message 36 of 64
BOGY25
Guide

Well everyone. It's been nice chatting. I purchased another router from a different brand other than netgear. I bit the bullet and will try to sell this R8000P on ebay. Been a lifelong Netgear fan. But this was unacceptable. 9 months and no solution for a simple firmware update. Just unacceptable. Take care everyone will not be seeing you ever again.
Message 37 of 64

I just updated the firmware on my R8000P,  easy peasy... Lamon squezzy...

Router Update.PNG

Message 38 of 64

I just updated the firmware on my router, easy peasy.

Router updateRouter update

Message 39 of 64

Router update.jpg

Just updated my router firmware.

Message 40 of 64
BOGY25
Guide

@kenemt3949588.....
You're an idiot. We have a problem here and you post this? Also, thanks. I have moved on since and have been very happy with my new router. NOT netgear. So thanks for reminding me to delete my netgear account. Forgot until today.
Message 41 of 64

Angry by chance?

Message 42 of 64
Uxorious
Tutor

You are a troll.

Message 43 of 64

How so...
Message 44 of 64

@Uxorious wrote:

You are a troll.

The only trolls I see here are those who refuse to read the messages offered go them.

You have been told that the upgrade you lust after is possible.

Instead of asking why it works for some people but not others, you throw around insults.

Ask yourself how much your posts add to the learning experience for other people here.

I recommend that you read the rules of this place.

NETGEAR Community Terms Of Service | Answer | NETGEAR Support

• Behave with civility and mutual respect. Flaming or name calling will not be tolerated. Similarly, any message containing the following will be removed at the discretion of either a Community moderator or administrator:
    • Off-Topic posting
    • Thread hi-jacking

Unfortunately, Netgear allows the trolls to run free, even when they ignore those simple instructions.

Just another user.

Message 45 of 64

Thank you @michaelkenward, I found a solution that fixed mine,

and thought I would share it here, only to be called an idiot by 

one of the members, and then a troll.

Message 46 of 64

@kenemt3949588 wrote:

Thank you @michaelkenward, I found a solution that fixed mine,

and thought I would share it here, only to be called an idiot by 

one of the members, and then a troll.

With luck they will buy a different brand and stop insulting people here.

Just another user.

Message 47 of 64

@michaelkenward, why buy another brand.

Open the nighthawk app on your phone, and update the firmware

from there.

Message 48 of 64
Alix9112
Star

It's really unfortunate a few people add zero value by opening their pie holes with idiotic, moronic trash. This is a technical formum, not a SM site.

I really feel badly for you that you were trolled and trashed. On a formum like this, there is no reason for those posts to remain.

I hope NetGear is paying attention.

Message 49 of 64

@Alix9112 wrote:

I hope NetGear is paying attention.

Click the three button "menu" at the top of an objectionable message.

Then Report Inappropriate Content.

The trouble is that Netgear can't win in the face of dimwits. If it does clean things up the trolls will attack it for censoring them.

The best response is, as the saying goes, "don't feed the trolls".

Just another user.

Message 50 of 64
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 63 replies
  • 54 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E