Re: R8000P Firmware Won't Upgrade

Hi @Alix9112,

Are the Trolls realy that bad in this forum?

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 51 of 64

@kenemt3949588 wrote:

Hi @Alix9112,

Are the Trolls realy that bad in this forum?

No, which is why they stand out when they surface.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 52 of 64

Hi Alix9112,

Thanks for the heads up, where is the idiotic, moronic trash

in this post, I'd like to read it.

Message 53 of 64
Alix9112
Star

> Thanks for the heads up,

> where is the idiotic,

> moronic trash in this

> post, I'd like to read it.

If you can't see, you are part of the problem. I'm done.

Message 54 of 64

So was there ever an answer for this or did the issue just get sidetracked?

Message 55 of 64

@Krislafreniere wrote:

It might not be the answer you expected, but this conversation is marked as SOLVED.

Solved: Re: R8000p can't update firmware - Page 2 - NETGEAR Communities

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 56 of 64

The solution is to buy another router?
Message 57 of 64
MSTEVEN5
Tutor

Been trying to get this resolved for months.  Called support today and after speaking to two different people I was told that they know this is an issue but that they "cannot replace everyon'e router".  She told me that the senior engineers are working on a resolution and that "soon" there will be an update that will work.  Couldn't tell me when, but said to keep trying to update..........  Netgear is a complete JOKE!

Message 58 of 64
StoryTeller
Aspirant

My router will not update to the latest version either wirelessly or through Ethernet, no matter what anybody else claims.  Marking it "SOLVED" doesn't mean NETGEAR has fixed the issue. I like many others bought my router about a year ago, so to even speak to somebody in tech support to troubleshoot it will cost me about half of what I originally paid for it. What a racket!

Message 59 of 64

@StoryTeller wrote:

My router will not update to the latest version either wirelessly or through Ethernet...

Sadly, this does not tell us what you actually did over those connections.

Wireless is always a bad idea. (It can fall over in midstream.) Wired Ethernet is best, but there are several ways to update firmware using a wired connection.

Is this what you did?

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

What update were you trying to implement? Which before and after versions?

@StoryTeller wrote:

Marking it "SOLVED" doesn't mean NETGEAR has fixed the issue.

Where did you read SOLVED? That button is usually there for the person who posed the question to report SOLVED.

This conversation is not marked SOLVED.

@StoryTeller wrote:

...even speak to somebody in tech support to troubleshoot it will cost me about half of what I originally paid for it.

This place is free – and sometimes better informed than the official support crew –  but first you have to explain what you are doing and where it goes wrong.

Just another user.

Message 60 of 64
StoryTeller
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Krislafreniere wrote:

It might not be the answer you expected, but this conversation is marked as SOLVED.

Oh semantics, the conversation is SOLVED, but the issue isn't.

And the problem that I am having is stated in the original post that started this thread, and about a dozen or more threads on the same subject. I have spent a day trying everything that has been suggested to resolve this issue, and it's clear there isn't a resolution.

I was really amused by the three screenshots posted in this thread because it's a static image that doesn't show the process on how it was resolved.  A video might've been more convincing; however, with non-linear editing that could be faked too.

Message 61 of 64
StoryTeller
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Krislafreniere wrote:

Solved: Re: R8000p can't update firmware - Page 2 - NETGEAR Communities

Are you the same @michaelkenward that said this conversation wasn't marked SOLVED? What did you mean when replying to @Krislafreniere?

Message 62 of 64

That's a different conversation.

Scroll up to the top of this conversation and read the subject.

Spot the difference?

Just another user.

Message 63 of 64
StoryTeller
Aspirant

If your R8000P is less than a year old and you have the receipt or you can get a duplicate, then i have the solution.  Call NETGEAR customer service at (888) 638-4327, and then press the option for Tech Support, then press the number for routers and finally press the number for Nighthawk.

It seemed like all of those numbers were 1.  My tech support ran out about 9 months ago, and I didn't have GearHead support; however, the rep still spoke to me.  He tried to sell me a six-month GearHead tech support plan; however, I told him that my hardware warranty expires on June 6, 2021, and the receipt I uploaded shows that I purchased it on May 30, 2020.

He then said that I needed a tech support contract to proceed further.  I then told him that there are dozens upon dozens of posts on NETGEAR's own website in the Community section that state there is no solution to this specific firmware problem other than getting a refurbished router that has been rolled back and then update it to the latest firmware version.  He said "Yes, you are correct. I will email you the RMA instructions."  

I got the email while we were still talking on the phone. I paid $16.90 to get it shipped to me, and once I receive the refurb, I have 10 days to return the router that won't update the firmware.

I am fortunate that I purchased it at a retailer that keeps your receipts by your phone number or your rewards number because I didn't save the hard copy,

Message 64 of 64
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 63 replies
  • 54 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E