R8000P Firmware

BobStevenson
Apprentice

R8000P Firmware

Please help in this issue or point me to the actual fix. I have read, and read, and tried and tried but have not been able to update this router to anything other than what it came with....Firmware Version
V1.4.1.50_1.3.10

I have rebooted, reset, used ethernet cable, used routerlogin.net, .chk file on desktop....everything I know or have read and can not update this firmware manually at all. A little blue box pops up telling me the firmware is updating but at the end.....same version as before! I even tried re-applying the 1.4.1.50 version a second time....it told me that I was trying to install the same version therefore the new version (1.4.1.62) is simply not being accepted for some reason. Not stupid here....I have successfully reprogramed Linksys routers with dd-wrt....what the heck is the problem? I read where other folks update without a hitch. It's as if the unit is locked preventing ANY firmware changes. Just about ready to return to Best Buy as defective. Please help and thank you in advance!

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
CalCal23
Apprentice

Re: R8000P Firmware

@BobStevenson 

I would try a hard reset of your cable modem and router.  Then go to the R8000P support page on Netgear.com and download the latest firmware.  Remember to unzip it.  Make sure to connect directly to your router via an ethernet cable.  Then login to your router and manually install the update.  If that doesn't work then your router is definitely defective.  I think there are some settings to allow automatic updates to the firmware of your router.  Possibly try toggling those to see if that can shake things loose.  Otherwise I would get another router.  Sometimes these routers are just defective or returned items that accidentally make it back into restock, when they shouldn't.  Hopefully you bought it new and recently, to allow a return to your retailer.  Please keep us posted.

Message 2 of 11

Greetings,

There are 2 threads ongoing regarding this issue.  

No need to reset your cable modem.

Your R8000P is not likely defective.This appears to be a firmware issue.  Although I was able to upgrade to 1.4.1.62 without any problem, others have also reported this issue when trying to upgrade.  I escalated this issue last week.  Its with the development team at the moment.  There is nothing wrong with 1.4.1.50 ( I ran it for months) Its very stable..  1.4.1.62 appears to be stable as well, except for the firmware update reported by some.  

1.4.1.62 is still the latest FW avaialble. (As of this morning).  Considering the number of people who have reported a problem, I suspect a new viersion will be released. Its not a hardware defect, just a bad firmware release.  

Here is one of the other threads <<<

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 3 of 11
BobStevenson
Apprentice

I have completed ALL the suggestions EVERYONE has given EVERYWHERE. I used to flash Linksys routers with DD-WRT even by soldering in the serial cable and blah, blah, blah so this is not rocket science to me HOWEVER, it IS a fluster cluck at the very least. I could not even make a TFTP connection using Windows or a client. Unit does bring up a blue status box as if the update is being installed and the unit reboots as if it was installed however, the version never changes.

In response to stability....instability was the reason I wanted to update. 5G-2 drops out intermittently for no reason AND IP addresses reported by the R8000P for connected devices is incorrect also. It reports that I have 3 devices with the same IP (192.168.1.100) however, when the devices are checked they all have different assigned IP's despite the R8000P indicating duplicate IPs AND obviously, the automatic update feature does not work AND the Check for an update button returns a NO UPDATE FOUND when there IS an update AND there is a bazillion DoS attacks logged that have to be false reports. I do NOT call that stable at all.

Unit was bought new on the shelf with it's original shrink wrap. I am beginning to seriously regret my changing from Linksys to Netgear at this point. I mean the firmware date is 2018! That's two years old!! Got a feeling I got duped with aging and outdated equipment.

Message 4 of 11
dvs_xerxes
Guide

Has there been any updates regarding this issue about being unable to update the firmware?

Im still unable to update the firmware on this router.

Message 5 of 11
BobStevenson
Apprentice

NOPE! Here's the last put-off......

NETGEAR Support

2020-09-06 8:23:38

Hi, Robert, I do apologize that it takes so much time. I already re-escalated this case and hoping a feedback asap. We will make sure if we replace the device, the replacement will have the latest version. I'm so sorry again. Sincerely, XXX | Technical Support Expert - NETGEAR Operations
.....I even offered to send the thing back AT MY EXPENSE and they send me a same model that properly works or an upgrade and I would pay the difference! NOTHING! Is this company a joke or what?? I have NEVER sat around this long waiting on a solution to a problem! Even Sprint provides solutions faster than these guys. Garage Operation????
Message 6 of 11
CalCal23
Apprentice

@BobStevenson,

I don't know what's taking them so long???  This is obviously a defective router.  I mean you sound pretty reasonable in your request to Netgear.  Unfortunately with COVID-19, and a lot of additional people on home networks, having a solid and stable internet connection is critical.

I actually have the same router and thank God that I haven't had any significant issues with it.  There are problems, don't get me wrong, like especially the attached devices function working sparsely at best, but the router is actually a good one, for WiFi 5 users.  Not the smartest or the best, but quite stable.  I have all Netgear networking equipment...don't know if I will do that again, but I'm with them for now.

I wish they would fix the attached devices functionality to make it accurate and dynamic instead of static.  It seems like you have to setup static IP addresses to make that work, and I'm not keen on doing that.

Also, the channel select function is automated only for the 2.4 GHz frequencies.  I'd like to see it work for the 5 GHz frequencies as well.  But it has to be smart, and not pick a crowded channel, or a channel with few users but high signal strength from another access point / router.  For the 2.4 GHz frequencies it picks other channels besides 1, 6 and 11 which is just dumb, given that I live in a condo.  Honestly, it should just stick to those frequencies on the 2.4 GHz band.

If Netgear can get good solid stable and upgradeable firmware and take care of these issues on the router then I would be an enthusiastic camper.  I am content but not thoroughly satisfied just yet.  I hope that they have smart network engineers working on these issues and don't end support and enhancements on our router.  It is relatively new still, maybe 2-3 years old.  Even Netgear says that you shouldn't replace a router any more than 4-5 years at a time, unless you have a driving need.

I wonder if they can add WPA3 or if you need a special chipset to do that??  Our routers can do 1024 QAM and most other things WiFi 6 routers can do, except for the Mu-MIMO on the upstream...this is a top end WiFi 5 router.  I only hope that Netgear makes this right for you, a knowledgeable user with experience.

A phone call couldn't hurt either...without having to pay an absorbatant fee.

Again, please keep us posted!!!

Message 7 of 11
BobStevenson
Apprentice

I guess NetGear closed the other thread as solved....there is no solution on that thread! So.....

NOT SOLVED!!! Here everyone go here and file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

https://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/submit-consumer-complaint-ftc

Filing mine now. You simpy can't sell a defective product and then ignore the customer requests for replacement or repair.

Message 8 of 11
maximusB
Initiate

I'm having the xact same problem and unable to upgrade. Seeing a ton of DoS spam in the logs and Circle is also no longer working correctly. This is a MAJOR screwup Netgear - you guys need to get moving to fix this broken product or its firmware. 

Message 9 of 11
BobStevenson
Apprentice

Well, I made it to the NetGear Endless Support Loop (NESL)...you know where they send emails, then phone calls, then more emails, then more phone calls, then escalation to a "higher department", then more emails, then more phone calls...I got a case number...even made a deal with a certain support rep (which I have kept SO FAR)....and the case file is growing exponentially....just got off the phone with a support female with a very heavy asian accent, which for me, was hardly intelligible but I did understand, "unable to process" and "higher department" and "phone call between 24-48 hours". That was after being on hold for over 25 minutes. It is becoming painfully apparent that these folks are in the business of exaspiration....YOURS! They apparently want you to give up and do something else. What they don't realize is I don't work that way. 

Funny because the bait is on the phone while you wait.....something like, For faster service with your netgear product go to the Netgear Support website blah, blah, blah....Now you are at the website and let the NESL begins....

My unit is less than 90 days old....In fact, it is less than 60 days old! What an absolute unprofessional way to handle something. Glad to see their stock at such lows...glad I don't have any.

This copied straight from the R8000P updates page:Firmware/Software

• Firmware Version 1.4.1.62

Release Notes

• NETGEAR Nighthawk App (Android)

• NETGEAR Nighthawk App (iOS)

• ReadySHARE Printer Utility Version 1.36 (Windows)

• ReadySHARE Printer Utility Version 2.46 (Mac - Supports MAC OS 10.13 and above)

Release Notes

MINE = 1.4.1.50 !!

I can't even blunt force the new version into the machine using any shell commands or other protocols.
Message 10 of 11
maximusB
Initiate

I have the exact same problem w/ unable to upgrade + using CIRCLE (Disney but supported via Netgear) The Circle system is failing to keep its data and has missing chunks. This has been going on for months ever since CIRCLE/NETGEAR took a 2 month OUTAGE.. Many lingering problems..  

I too have attempted to sit on hold for 30+ mins only to be routed to someone who is a CSR who asks the same questions - has no answer or technical expereince and routes me to a tech queue which takes another 45 mins, Any attempt to do this via Chat or tickets results in "we can't do this in tickets please call us.." and ticket is closed. SADLY I believe the CSR team is "managing" or POLISHING their call/ticket statistics to look like they are helping people but are actually doing NOTHING and are mismanaging their service. 

Netgear if you read this thread - FIX YOUR problems - stop misdirecting your customers. Get your Sh%$T together. 

NETGEAR LEADERSHIP - You need to recognize the shift that most of us went from home general use IOT to now DEPENDING on your equipment to do our OWN jobs.. So critical infrastructure to us - YOUR customers.... Perhaps you should start acting like that. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements