Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000P Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Firmware Issue

lanny119
Aspirant

R8000P Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Firmware Issue

My router right now is on V1.4.1.50. The latest firmware is 1.4.1.64. I tried manually updating it and the version number didn't change. I’ve reset it by pressing the button and set it up again. I’ve been trying to research this issue and find I’m not the only one.

The suggestions say to to manually update and it restarts but still has old firmware number and the update icon still shows.
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
drjameso
Aspirant

Router would not update, so I manually updated firmware to 1.4.1.64_1.3.25 from 1.4.1.50_1.3.10 and it stopped working.  returned to factory setting and restarted.  Works ok for now with old firmware

Anyone else have the probem? Solution?

Message 2 of 8

@drjameso wrote:

Router would not update, so I manually updated firmware to 1.4.1.64_1.3.25 from 1.4.1.50_1.3.10 and it stopped working.  

Stopped working? Which of the many functions that the R8000P performs failed?

@drjameso wrote:

returned to factory setting and restarted.  

Did you try that with the new firmware?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

You can reduce the hassle of reconfiguring all those settings by creating a backup of your settings before you reset. Then if something is still broken after the reset, and the new firmware has not fixed it, you can restore the device to its pre-reset state.

You could even try restoring the settings even if the new firmware has fixed the problems, but be prepared for the restore to also bring back your problems.

Message 3 of 8
jpiacente
Tutor

I just got off the phone with support. Based on everything I have read on these forums, the upgrade from V1.4.1.50 is a known issue. They wanted to charge me to try and solve a 'known' issue. How does a company get away with this??

"You are outside of the 90 days support"

I purchased the device on July 1. I enabled auto update on the firmware. v1.4.1.64 has a knowledge base entry on the Netgear website on September 30. My device should have auto updated within the 90 days. But because I did not check it, shame on me? It is my fault that the auto update did not work and I did not check it? What standard household user would EVER check that?

I requested them to simply send me an RMA and I will return the device. They cannot do that unless they first troubleshoot. Fine, we can troubleshoot. I am ok with that. You will be charged for this. OK, I am NOT ok being charged to troubleshoot a known issue!

I requested to speak with a manager, after being put on hold for 5 minutes, I was told there were none available.

They will send me the manual update process to do myself and I can call back if it does not work.

My biggest issue? How many other people have bought these devices and just trust the Netgear? How many people are sitting out there thinking they are getting the security updates they need because they clicked 'auto update'? People whose kids or grandkids installed the router and are not there to check it for them?

Shame on Netgear during this time when no one is allowed to go to their parents/grandparents house to look at things like this.

Message 4 of 8
DRTheMighty
Initiate

I am in this exact same situation.  Did you ever resolve or did you send it back?

Message 5 of 8
njmoleman
Guide

Michael,

I have see you all over these forums treating people like they are stupid. all you have to do is google r8000p firmware issues and you will see what the issue is. I'm a network admin with over 30 years in the business. never have I seen the lack of support for a known issue by a company. I too was told that they would only help me AFTER I purchased a support package. What is worse is that mine came with th e.42 release and I trusted the auto update.  It updated to .50 and I am now stuck.  I get all the netgear emial warning me how unsecure my router is as there is new firmware to address security flaws, but I can not even manually or via TFTP the new firmware.  In short it appear that the .50 update locked the router from receiving any firmware updates. You can not even install an older version of firmware, hopeing to skip over the .50 blunder. And I see this across several of the 7000/8000 series router. All stuck from a firmware update that can only be fixed by returning the hardware for replacement... a replacement by the way that is a "refubished" unit. I bought the router for over $300 only to end up with a used model and having to pay for a service contract on top of that. Hell no. 

Message 6 of 8
DRTheMighty
Initiate

So many people with the same experience. I finally got mine resolved after Netgear sent me a new unit. Lucky for me they didn’t have any refurbs in stock so mine was brand new. The first time around, they sent me a downgrade. It wasn’t even the AC4000/R8000P. I had to go way up the chain to ultimately get it resolved properly and it took several weeks and lots of calls to do so.
They need major work with their support department.
Message 7 of 8
njmoleman
Guide

What I really liked was support portal being down for weeks. keep getting greeted by a page saying "It's not you, its us". gives you that warm fuzzy feeling when support can't even keep their page up and running and it takes weeks for them to fix it... 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7