R8000P QoS Setup

myersw
Master

R8000P QoS Setup

Do not understand QoS on the R8000P with firmware V1.3.0.10_1.2.2 I have. Does not act like any QoS I have used in the past. I have 100Mbps down and 10Mbps up (tests 120 down and 12 up). If I enable QoS and select let speed test detect my bandwidth I get a much slower speed down then what I would expect. Using dslreports speedtest website I get 25.6Mbps down and 12.18Mbps up. Why such a low value for the download test. Would expect more like 115Mbps, as the link tests at 120Mbps for the speedtest. At least something much higher then 25.6. If I do things manually, define my bandwidth, with 120.00 and upload 12.00 I still get very slow download speed. Another thing I do not understand is I have to either restart the PC or unplug/replug the USB wireless adapter for changes to take place. What I mean is if I set QoS and getting download of 25Mps I will still get that even though the r8000p QoS has been deselected until I unplug/replug the wireless adapter. Have never seen that before and do not understand what is going on with the r8000p and Windows 10 Pro to cause this issue. Why does having to reactivate the USB adapter have to take place to see changes in the QoS settings?  

Obviously there is something either really broken or something I do not undersand. Have done searches and come up blank for both setting up QoS on a R8000P and also why you need to cycle the adapter to make changes that place. I see references on other routers and setting QoS about priority. I do not see anything like this on the R000P.

I have configured QoS on multiple routers using, OEM, Openwrt/LEDE and DD-WRT and have never seen QoS act like this. As I see it QoS is broken on this router. 

Another issue is the downloadable manual does not have any info on setting up QoS. That information is misslng. I know it was not in the original firmware, but would have expected the manual to be updated on line when it was.  

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
myersw
Master

Re: R8000P QoS Setup

Been playing more. It seems the biggest issue is when I make a change to the QoS on the r8000p I MUST either restart the PC or unplug/plug the USB wireless adapter. Do not understand why? I started way high and moved down using the dslreport web site for the buffer bloat testing. If I start high I can then get down to the value I was using before getting horrable download speeds. Not sure why. Looks like working as it should now. I did go in and change the speed allowed on this device. Maybe that was the issue as it was set to medium before set it to high now. Lots to learn with this QoS and it does not help that the printed user manual and the downloadable manual do not discuss QoS. Downloadable manual needs to be updated to reflect QoS and how to setup. . 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements