Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000P Slow Wired speed

JonV
Guide

R8000P Slow Wired speed

Hi All!

Looking for a resolution to slow wired speeds.  Not "SLOW" but not what I was getting with Spectrum's router.

Wireless I get ~460mbps (Pay for 400) throughout most of the 2800sq ft house.  Directly wired to the router, however, I get max speeds of 140mbps.  This is on a PC that has had no updates between changing from Spectrum's router (has zero coverage and drops habitually with less than 15 items connected) and installing the Nighthawk.

Spectrum has added the router to my account so it's pulling valid data.  Before I moved to this new house, I had ATT Fiber and had 1gbps wired speed.  

Not really sure what else to check.  Cables are fine - another PC connected to same cat6 cable still gets 140mbps maxed.  Wirelessly will get ~450.  Downloaded VPN to see if somehow wired connections were being metered and no go.

On most recent firmware version and QoS and Traffic Meter are disabled.

Any help would be appreciated!

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
JonV
Guide

Dear EVERYONE!  A new MS update was the culprit.  The crypto mining / ransomware patch fubar'd my NIC.  I took my desktop to the neighbors and got 140mbps hard wired as well - so I did a system restore to late December (whaaa) but thanks MS!  It was a security update I couldn't uninstall 😞

Thanks everyone for the assistance.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 18

All Replies
JonV
Guide

I should add that I checked other related articles for other routers in the Nighthawk brand and did try enabling IPV6 config in Advanced options.  This did nothing for my speed.  Is there a safe, reliable version that's not the most recent firmware?

Thanks!

Message 2 of 18
plemans
Guru

Which version of the firmware are you on?

What modem are you connected to? 

Did you try factory resetting and reinstalling? Sometimes when you update firmware or change ISP's, its not a bad idea to reset and start over. 

Message 3 of 18
JonV
Guide

Firmware version - V1.4.1.42_1.3.4

Modem - Spectrum's E31U2V1

I have not performed another factory reset since the update to the new firmware version.  I did, however, perform a factory reset when I decided to use this router prior to the firmware upgrade.

The oddest part is that the speedtest in the router GUI says it pulls ~450mbps.  You'd think it would deliver that speed to any of its Lan ports with no issues.

Do you recommend the 30-30-30 or just hold the reset pin for a few seconds until it resets?  Also which firmware version do you recommend to try first?

Message 4 of 18
plemans
Guru

Here's the order I'd go in. I'd also check/swap cables to make sure that isn't the issue. 

1. factory reset just by pushing and holding reset while its powered on. The lights should change when you've held it long enough.

2. re-install the current version of the firmware. Sometimes it gets corrupted and a re-install can fix this.

3. Downgrade 1 version of the firmware. anytime you downgrade, factory reset afterwards.

4. Try 1 more version down of the firmware.

That's how I'd start. 

Message 5 of 18
JonV
Guide

So I'll go to +Previous versions and download two versions of the firmware.  Factory reset just by hodling the button for a few seconds.  Install the CURRENT firmware version then factory reset again.  If it doesn't work as expected, do the same but with older FW versions.

Thanks Plemans

Message 6 of 18
plemans
Guru

When you push and hold, its usually 7-15 seconds. The lights will change on it when its been held long enough

Message 7 of 18
JonV
Guide

I'm assuming this should fix the issue - but in the case that it doesn't I'm actually looking to move to WiFi6.  Would it be worth it to just start doing research and move to something new with less firmware issues?

What are your suggestions?

Message 8 of 18
plemans
Guru

My suggestion? Wait.

Wifi 6 is still a bit buggy for netgear and most manufacturers. even wpa3 support is coming slow. 

the R8000P is a pretty decent router. Unless you truly need the concurrent broadcast capabilities now, I'd wait a bit on firmware to mature. If you read about the rollout of of wireless AC (wireless 5) it was a bit rough for a while. 

Message 9 of 18
labatt
Mentor

Wifi 6 is not certied yet either so there can still be changes. I personally would wait. Get the r8000p stable and it should do the job for you. 

Message 10 of 18
JonV
Guide

Hi all - thanks again for your help prior to this update.

I'm all the way back to 1.2.1.6 with no changes in speed, regardless of options and the like.  A factory reset every time a new version is uploaded (via ethernet) as requested.

I even ran a brand new cat6 (Type A termination) through the house for a sanity check and no dice, still 140mbps.  

Can an ISP throttle wired connections but not wireless?  I don't know what else to try to narrow down the issue.  How does one do a speedtest from the PC to the router?

Thanks again!

Message 11 of 18
plemans
Guru

I've used lan speedtest before to check my local lan.

https://totusoft.com/lanspeed

Seems weird that everything worked fine on fiber, it works fine over wireless, but only the lan speed is reduced. 

Are you using access controls?

What all are you setting up when you reset the router? I'd leave it with default settings and speedtest it to see if it works fine. I'd even leave the ssid. 

I'd also probably go back to the V1.4.1.30 firmware. so install that, factory reset through the advanced-----backup----erase menu. then only do the basic install and see what you get. I'd even leave the wifi for the time being. 

I'd also move it to right where the modem is. 

I'd also look at the computers you're testing with. maybe something is setup different with the lan port on the computer. Try a couple different computers if you have them. 

Message 12 of 18
JonV
Guide

Seems weird that everything worked fine on fiber, it works fine over wireless, but only the lan speed is reduced. 

Are you using access controls?

no access controls

What all are you setting up when you reset the router? I'd leave it with default settings and speedtest it to see if it works fine. I'd even leave the ssid. 

no custom config after firmware installation

I'd also probably go back to the V1.4.1.30 firmware. so install that, factory reset through the advanced-----backup----erase menu. then only do the basic install and see what you get. I'd even leave the wifi for the time being. 

back on the newest firmware after another factory reset.  no change in speed. no custom config.

I'd also move it to right where the modem is. 

modem is directly beside router with a tested 1gbps+ capable ethernet cord

I'd also look at the computers you're testing with. maybe something is setup different with the lan port on the computer. Try a couple different computers if you have them. 

neighbor used laptop he gets 900mbps wired at his house (same ISP) and 150 wired through r8000p with my service.

Going to try the software you recommended and post results.

Message 13 of 18

I would check to see if has gigabit ethernet port and update everything on that pc including the network card.
Message 14 of 18
JonV
Guide

Dear EVERYONE!  A new MS update was the culprit.  The crypto mining / ransomware patch fubar'd my NIC.  I took my desktop to the neighbors and got 140mbps hard wired as well - so I did a system restore to late December (whaaa) but thanks MS!  It was a security update I couldn't uninstall 😞

Thanks everyone for the assistance.

Message 15 of 18

See computer updates are usually the hidden culprit. Because they can etheir help fix the problem or the reason for it.
Message 16 of 18

No problem that's why we belong to this community to help each other.
Message 17 of 18
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it working!

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements