jc282322
Tutor

R8000P - Speed Issues

I have been reading many of your posts concerning the router mentioned above...I am battling the very common issue of the router bottlenecking speeds.  I have 1gig speed and have all of the standard items turned off, traffic control, QoS, etc.  Directly connected to my Netgear CM1000 modem, I am hitting nearly 900.  Directly connected to my Nighthawk R8000P I am getting around 300.  And wirelessly I am getting capped at 50?!?  

If downgrading the FM is the next step...which one would you recommend?  Currently I am running.  Firmware Version  V1.4.1.50_1.3.10

I have been reading so many posts about this I feel like I am spinning in circles....anything else to try?

TRULY appreciate your help!

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: R8000P - Speed Issues

First thing I'd try?

Factory reset (i know you've done it) and test it with everything default. 

See what speeds you get with it setup in default mode. 

Next step, enable ipv6 and test speeds. 

Also make sure you're testing using a hardwired in pc to the router. don't use the built in app as it doesn't pick the best server usually. 

If you do decide to downgrade, i'd recommend version 1.4.1.42

CM2000-> RAX200-> GS716v2-> EX8000
Message 2 of 9
jc282322
Tutor

Thanks!  I will give all of these steps a try and let you know the results!

Thanks!

Message 3 of 9
jc282322
Tutor

I believe the downgrade has provided me with some of the speed I am paying for...this is with the firmware V1.4.1.30.  I had tried that before you had responded to my post.  I am going to walk through your proposed steps because I do not think I am getting all of the 1gig speeds that I should.  So I will keep trying to squeeze out every last drop.

Using a new laptop on the 5G wifi I am able to get 606 down and 54 up.  Using a new xbox one (I know not the best test) I am able to get 486 down and 21 up. 

I will report back official findings once I follow your steps.  But I did want to ask one additional question....I have not found the answer in the search.

What is the best way to organize a house on the three bands?  I have nearly 50 connections.  Smart switches, tvs, laptops, iphones, ipads, sonos, printers, garage doors, etc.  Is there a best practice for what items use the 2 and which use the 5 bands?

Thanks!!!

Message 4 of 9
jc282322
Tutor

Factory reset complete.  Running the speedtest on the same new laptop I get 645 down and 62 up.  Running the test on the same xbox I get 257 down and 20 up.  

On to your Step 2.

Message 5 of 9
jc282322
Tutor

The only selection under the ipv6 section of the router settings I chose was Auto Detect.  With that selection applied, I am hitting the following:

Laptop:  613 up and 62 down

Xbox:  244 up and 21 down

Message 6 of 9
jc282322
Tutor

All settings remain the same.  I UPgraded the firmware this time to the one you suggested in the original post.  Now I am getting the following:

Laptop:  570 down and 59 up

Xbox:  258 down and 17 up

Message 7 of 9
jc282322
Tutor

Turn ipv6 back to Disable in order to try another variation.  

Laptop:  565 down and 62 up

Xbox:  245 down and 19 up

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

@jc282322 wrote:

I believe the downgrade has provided me with some of the speed I am paying for...this is with the firmware V1.4.1.30.  I had tried that before you had responded to my post.  I am going to walk through your proposed steps because I do not think I am getting all of the 1gig speeds that I should.  So I will keep trying to squeeze out every last drop.

Using a new laptop on the 5G wifi I am able to get 606 down and 54 up.  Using a new xbox one (I know not the best test) I am able to get 486 down and 21 up. 

I will report back official findings once I follow your steps.  But I did want to ask one additional question....I have not found the answer in the search.

What is the best way to organize a house on the three bands?  I have nearly 50 connections.  Smart switches, tvs, laptops, iphones, ipads, sonos, printers, garage doors, etc.  Is there a best practice for what items use the 2 and which use the 5 bands?

Thanks!!!

If those speeds are wireless, they're amazing speeds. You won't max out your gigabit speeds wireless because of network overhead and interference. 

In terms of organizing the bands, a lot comes down to useage. I put all my higher bandwidth devices on the 5ghz. you can seperate them out so they're not all on one band.  I mainly have IoT devices and those devices without 5ghz on the 2.4ghz. 

Basically 2.4ghz is much slower but broadcasts further and through more materials. So it makes sense for those devices that don't need high bandwidth or are at the maximum range of the router to be on there. 

CM2000-> RAX200-> GS716v2-> EX8000
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements