Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000P Static routing to ISP router for internet access.

Umair
Guide

R8000P Static routing to ISP router for internet access.

Good day

I am struggling in setting up the Static routing for R8000P (Not sure if this would I need)  I am not interested in using Access Point. 

R1 = ISP provided router allows me to connect to Internet via its WAN port

Private IP network address: 192.200.1.0 

Router Gateway address: 192.200.1.254

R2 = Netgear R8000P 

Public IP address (WAN port) = 192.200.1.68

Private IP network address: 10.1.1.0

Router Gateway address: 10.1.1.2

I also have WiFI active on 2.4 and 5.0 G. 

Moreover, I have a security camera connected to R2 and is operational. Unfortunately, I couldn't access the camera outside of my network and that's where I felt I may need to use the Static routing between R2 to R1 or vice versa. 

So... my question regarding Static IP setup in R8000P. 

What should I use for my destination IP ?  would it be R2 public (WAN) IP address ? 

What should I use for my Gateway IP ? would it be R2 Gateway address i.e. 10.1.1.2 or would it be R1 Gateway i.e. 192.200.1.254. 

Anyone has ever attempted this ? 

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Umair
Guide

Router is a L3 (Layer 3) device and its job is to offer data traffic from one network to another. If they can't do that than to me they shouldn't be classified as Router to begin with. 

Now to configuration part. If I have a subnetwork, it shouldn't be difficult to configure. Unfortunately, This problem is mainly associated with unmanaged routers. As NAT does the automatic Network translation and is restricted only to Class A, and Class B IP address scheme. That being said, the Class C IP address scheme is what used mostly for private networks and sub networks. This should be able to handled by having static routes with in the route.

Having sub-network is the way to Isolate the devices especially IoT (Internet of Things) devices. As they can easily get DOS attacks.  Thus preventing other networks and devices to get compromised.  And to communicate among the networks one need routers. 

In my particular case, the issue was that my ISP router didn't have the route as stated in previous replies. And guess what as soon as I include the Routes, The devices started working. 

Thank you all for your kind assistance and sharing wealth of knowledge.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 11
Umair
Guide

Thank you so much! I did configured it exactly. I suppose my ISP router needs to be configure in other way as well.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the brand and model# of the ISP modem? Looks like it might have a built in router possibly? 

Message 4 of 11

@Umair wrote:

I am struggling in setting up the Static routing for R8000P (Not sure if this would I need) 

Why? You have some sort of network problem that you want to fix?

It might be easier to start by describing that rather than seeking advice on stuff that may have nothing to do with the problem.

For example, you might want to set up two independent local networks that aren't allowed to talk to each other.

Message 5 of 11
Umair
Guide

Actiontec T3200. Probably five year old
Message 6 of 11
Umair
Guide

Well I needed to know if I have configured the router correctly. Problem is that NAT doesn’t work with Class C IP address scheme. And is usually prescribed for Stub Router as is the case with ISP provided routers.
Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/24104/How-do-I-change-my-Nighthawk-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-s...

Message 8 of 11

@Umair wrote:
Actiontec T3200. Probably five year old

One of these?

T3200 - WiFi 5 Fiber Bonded VDSL2 Gateway vectoring G.fast/PON GigE - Actiontec.com

If so, it is a modem/router. So you are piling router on router,

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local addressing problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

In your case, you said you didn't want to use the R8000P as an AP. But we still don't know why you want to set up "static routing", a concept that is often misunderstood.

From your message, a first move to fix the symptoms you describe would be to put the T3200 in bridge (modem only) mode.

actiontec t3200 bridge mode - Google Search

Message 9 of 11
Umair
Guide

Router is a L3 (Layer 3) device and its job is to offer data traffic from one network to another. If they can't do that than to me they shouldn't be classified as Router to begin with. 

Now to configuration part. If I have a subnetwork, it shouldn't be difficult to configure. Unfortunately, This problem is mainly associated with unmanaged routers. As NAT does the automatic Network translation and is restricted only to Class A, and Class B IP address scheme. That being said, the Class C IP address scheme is what used mostly for private networks and sub networks. This should be able to handled by having static routes with in the route.

Having sub-network is the way to Isolate the devices especially IoT (Internet of Things) devices. As they can easily get DOS attacks.  Thus preventing other networks and devices to get compromised.  And to communicate among the networks one need routers. 

In my particular case, the issue was that my ISP router didn't have the route as stated in previous replies. And guess what as soon as I include the Routes, The devices started working. 

Thank you all for your kind assistance and sharing wealth of knowledge.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You could have used the DMZ on the ISP router for the R8000P as well.

Glad you got it working.  Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7