Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000P Unable to download GUI language file from Netgear server

JeffMcL
Guide

R8000P Unable to download GUI language file from Netgear server

Have tried multiple time to upgrade my firmware, both manually and through the browser.  Neither works.  Please help!

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 24

Re: R8000P Unable to download GUI language file from Netgear server

@JeffMcL wrote:

Have tried multiple time to upgrade my firmware, both manually and through the browser.  Neither works.  Please help!

Start by telling us what the current firmware is and what version you want to install.

Then tell us what happens when you try the update.

I'm afraid that "Neither works" is a bit thin on diagnostic details.

I assume that you are following these instructions:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 24
JeffMcL
Guide

Current GUI Language Version:1.4.1.64_2.1.46.1
New GUI Language Version:1.4.1.66_2.1.46.1
Current Firmware Version1.4.1.50
New Firmware Version1.4.1.68_1.3.28
Message 3 of 24

I assume that you are following these instructions:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 24
tfournie89
Tutor

I am having this same problem as OP. Has there been a resolution to this issue?

When I followed the instructions you linked, it did do a full reboot but didn’t upgrade the firmware.
Message 5 of 24
JeffMcL
Guide

The message I get is:

Unable to download GUI language file from Netgear server

I know how to manually update the router and it "goes through the motions" and reboots but does not actually update the firmware.

Message 6 of 24
JeffMcL
Guide

This is rediculas.  Is there NO solution to this issue that a lot of people seem to have???  I does not matter if you attempt to upgrade through "automatically" or manually.

Message 7 of 24
tfournie89
Tutor

Also I am unable to use the Dynamic QoS Optimizer as it doesn’t have a firmware listed. I assume that’s due to the similar bug in this same firmware that doesn’t allow us to use these processes?
Message 8 of 24
JeffMcL
Guide

I guess Netgear DOES NOT have a fix or any helpful solutions in order to upgrade router firmware.  Very sad...

Message 9 of 24
tfournie89
Tutor

Wow I’m very surprised there’s been no response to this. Still actively waiting for help on this also
Message 10 of 24
djojmommy
Initiate

I am having the exact same errors and the exact same issues with the same firmware update.  I have tried following the directions that were posted here exactly - it tells me the firmware has been updated successfully and it reboots and the firmware hasn't changed AT ALL.  I factory reset the entire router using the button and reset it up all over again.  Says it is updating the firmware in the process.  Same old version when its done.  I tried manually downloading the firmware and going to advanced settings to manually upgrade it.  It says it is complete - reboots - same old firmware is still installed.  So I found a suggestion to do it in AP mode - I did - and the same thing happened and didn't do upgrade it.  I have done these steps from my Samsung Note 10, from my laptop, and from my Toshiba All In One Desktop.  Same results.  Just now I decided to try from a third desktop, my son's gaming set up.  Something different happened when I tried this time - I got the same error that someone else on this thread mentioned saying that the GUI language update could not be downloaded from the Netgear server.  I bought this router and put out the $350 so that I wouldn't have stupid issues like this. This is very very frustrating.  This router cost way too much money for it to be having these problems and receiving no response as to what to do about it.    I want my money back but of course no one will do that either.

Message 11 of 24
atexasfeller
Initiate

I'm having the same issues and can't find anything to help at all.

Message 12 of 24
Killroy99
Initiate

I am having the same issue, same version and yes I have followed all of the proper directions.

Message 13 of 24
Abraxsis
Initiate

Thought I'd toss in my brief account of unsuccessfully dealing with this issue.

I've tried both the automated and manual update.  I also tried hardwiring to the ethernet port rather than manually updating via wi-fi.  During automated update the routher reports the failure, "Unable to download GUI language file from Netgear server."  During manual update it runs though the process, but upon restart it is still at the original firmware version.

Current GUI Language Version:1.4.1.50_2.1.46.1
New GUI Language Version:1.4.1.66_2.1.46.1
Current Firmware Version1.4.1.50
New Firmware Version1.4.1.68_1.3.28

I'll be glad to see a solution so we can update to the latest GUI Language Version and Firmware Version.

Message 14 of 24
tobrien22
Initiate

I am having the exact same issue and have been all over the internet looking for the answer. I am tempted to buy the $50 support (which is a huge scam), and record the process to share it to the whole world. I think its rediclous that a router that I bought less than a year ago can have problems like this. And I hope someone from the netgear community can solve this problem that I have been having for months now.

Message 15 of 24
JeffMcL
Guide

I agree this is unacceptable!  I am in the process of looking for a router, which will probably not be from Netgear.  I have been a big fan of this company, but they have dropped the ball.  Very dissappointing!

Message 16 of 24
AIIonsy
Initiate

Another annoyed user with the exact same issue.  I have the same versions as Abraxis above.  Received an email last week from Netgear recommending that I update my firmware to the latest and greatest.  I have attempted both auto and manual with several versions since my current 1.4.1.50, all with the same result, either can't download the "GUI language" when in auto or simply says that it is updating, reboots, and then nada, while attempting to update via manual method.  

Netgear... anything?

Message 17 of 24
JeffMcL
Guide

So far, Netgear has ZERO help on this issue

Message 18 of 24
AMF5091
Aspirant

Are Netgear PErsonnel not monitoring their own community?  Why is there not a least one post from NetGear that says the following:

"We are aware of a problem updating firmware or downloading the Gui file.  We are working on a resolution and hope to have it posted within the next ____ Weeks"  OR

We are aware of the problem. Users will just to live with the security vulnerabilities or other issues the latest firmware updates fixes.

How about Netgear provide some indication that they are aware of a problem.

Message 19 of 24

@AMF5091 wrote:

Are Netgear PErsonnel not monitoring their own community? 

You should know that this community is essentially a user-to-user venue with some input from a small band of Netgear techies.

Most of the answers come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They just have a lot of collective experience and are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here.

If you want "official" support then you should go through the right channels.

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

Message 20 of 24
Killroy99
Initiate

I have seen multiple post about the same issue of not being able to upgrade to latest firmware. If a "small band of Netgear techies" monitor the forums. Then no one at Netgear cares that we can't upgrade the firmware on a Netgear router, or maybe no one at Netgear monitors these forums, which mean no one at Netgear cares what their customers concerns or issues are.  I personally bought a new (not Netgear) modem to correct the issue. I would suggest everyone else do the same, and never buy another Netgear router ever again. I know I won't, and I have been buying Netgear for along time. 

Oh we shouldn't have to call support to upgrade the firmware on a device, so the comment of "If you want "official" support then you should go through the right channels." is a moot point. 

Again, if Netgear cared and wanted to keep all of us as customers, they would have fixed this issue long ago. But going back and fixing poorly written code is time consuming and cost money. Obviously Netgear does not think it is worth the effort or cost.

Message 21 of 24
grumpwithupdate
Aspirant

I am having the same issue as everyone else.  This device will not accept the new fireware update.  It gives a GUI languarge file error everytime with any version I try to install. Hardware Version R8000P Firmware Version V1.4.1.50_1.3.10 GUI Language Version V1.4.1.64_2.1.46.1
Message 22 of 24
SikkNTarrd
Aspirant

Did you do it ???
Message 23 of 24
SikkNTarrd
Aspirant

The WiFi On/Off button at the bottom of all the lights on top of the router itself. Hold it for 2 seconds if it is not lit up already. This solved my problem.
Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7