R8000P - WiFi Speed decreases on speedtest, Wired speedtest is perfect

theronin_hunter
Luminary

R8000P - WiFi Speed decreases on speedtest, Wired speedtest is perfect

Hi,

My issue is a bit bizare, if I run a speedtest using speedtest.net the speed will increase as per normal but then start to decrease for a few seconds.

An example is I get upto 320mbps and then it falls to 240mbps before climbing up again.  This only happens on Wireless and my laptop is a Surface Book 2 sat 5Metres from the router, wired connection I get a solid 380mbps.

The router is on the latest firmware

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
Pingili
Luminary

Re: R8000P - WiFi Speed decreases on speedtest, Wired speedtest is perfect

I've owned the R8000p/X6s router for about 6 months now. It delivers great wi fi speeds much of the time (and great wire speeds even more of the time), but slows down from time to time (especially on 5g wi fi) - mostly as a result of firmware updates in my experience. I just uploaded the following firmware version (one version behind the most recently release one) and it seems to have sold both my wired and wifi speed inconsistencies.

https://kb.netgear.com/000053218/R8000P-Firmware-Version-1-3-0-8

Some users have gone down to even earlier versions, but I wouldn't recommend that. I've tried this and they don't seem to really help fix the wi fi speed issue and also probably open you up to vulnerabilities that later firmware versions have attempted to fix via security updates/patches.I find channel 161 to consistently deliver the best speeds. The lastest firmware is causing a lot of problems and it is a shame that Netgear has not fixed this even though that firmware was released over 2 months ago. 

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E