R8000P Wifi Half Speed of Connection

layne81
Tutor

R8000P Wifi Half Speed of Connection

Hello all,

I actually have a R8000P. Anyhow, my wired connection is around 450mbps. However, if I am on wifi 5ghz my speed is around 220mbps and on 5ghz2 it is around 110mbps. I have tried every channel and all yield the same results.

Any ideas as to what could cause this?

I am on latest firmware. I have tried hard reset.... and hard reboot about 10x....QOS off, nothing works.

Thanks in advance,

Layne

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 2
IrvSp
Master

Re: R8000P Wifi Half Speed of Connection

@layne81 wrote:

I actually have a R8000P. Anyhow, my wired connection is around 450mbps. However, if I am on wifi 5ghz my speed is around 220mbps and on 5ghz2 it is around 110mbps.

Really odd, especially the "I have tried every channel and all yield the same results." part?

Those 2 5Ghz channels have different frequencies and to have it work differently on those different channels is probably a hint to why " I have tried every channel and all yield the same results." is different. First, what is the device doing the testing on wireless? Maybe they can't handle the Security or the speed of he device's network adapter doesn't support the speed of the possible wifi connection.

Generally speaking an N Speed device might be 300Mbps or lower. AC device would allow a higher speed connection than 400Mbps though. Some info here, https://www.lifewire.com/how-fast-is-a-wifi-network-816543, but realize that some higher figures require specific h/w that can handle it. Read this one that compared N to AC speeds... https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/12/30/802-11ac-vs-802-11n-wifi-whats-the-difference/#2..., and again, what it can do and real world numbers.

So, what is the device you are testing with (make and model)? Are both 5Ghz bands set to the same Mode?

I can tell you that my 4 iPad's we have have different speeds on wifi even though connected to the 5Ghz SSID. Why? Simple, the iPad's 2 & 3 have fewer antennae's than the iPad Pro's... and iPhones have the same problem in the different versions... newer ones connect better and work faster.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E