Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000P dropping connection. Best firmware?

Lab161
Follower

R8000P dropping connection. Best firmware?

I have used firmware 1.4.1.42 for a long time. With this firmware the router worked with no dropping of the connection. I updated the firmware to latest version (1.4.1.68) and the trouble is back. Today it drops the connection every 15 minutes😳 Is my old firmware the best for me?
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
lexllp
Tutor

Re: R8000P dropping connection. Best firmware?

X6S AC4000 (Nighthawk R8000P) connected to ONT, Verizion FiOS

Firmware 1.4.1.50, Windows 10; MacOS Big Sur

I noticed that my router is dropping connections in a random way. All LED indicators are blinking normally but neither wired nor Wi-Fi is connected to the internet.  

I have had the problem of the router refusing to upgrade from 1.4.1.50 to 1.4.1.68_1.3.28 since late last year. I tried upgrading through the Nighthawk App, via routerlogin.net, and finally mannually with an ethenet cable. Each time the status was successful but the display shows the older version. It also wouldn't allow me to downgrade the firmware to the previous version. Same process, same outcome. I then read on one of these message boards that this could be a hardware bug; i.e. if the unit is in the free return period, you exchange for a new one of the same model, and you firmware upgrade goes through without a hitch. I gave up at that point and am wating for a newer version and hoping that I'll have better luck skipping a version. I just ignore the red "Update" banner in the Nighthawk App.

The reason I am back here is that the router started to drop internet connections intermittening lately. I know it because I am always connected to Bloomberg and VPN, both would tell me that I (lost and) am reconneted to the internet. It was fine like that for a few months until the connection doesn't come back by itself. Shutting off and restarting the router always solves the issue, but onle for a while. And it's a hassle especially when kids are in the middle of a class. It's happening more frequently, like 2-3x a day. 

It's disappointing that Netgear never responded to consumer complaints on this firmware problem. There is also a probable cause connected with Disney's Circile, but I am not positive on that. I am starting to think my two problems are related. It's a pity that I spent $260 to upgraded from the 6900. Even thought the unit is under warranty, I probably can't claim it as the issue happens only intermittenly and it's a lot of work to contact Netgear.   

@michaelkenward Any good tips?

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7