Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000P Bricked after recent update

TerryPh
Virtuoso

I agree wholeheartedly with security aspect of it. That is why it is so understandable that if you are not so comfortable with older version, presumably less secure, then it is so understandable that the router should be returned.
My thinking is that may be in a short time, they may get the main problem with newest firmware fixed...
I'm optimistic myself . But that is just me
Best regards,
Terry
Message 76 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

Terry,

I'm hoping for that lol! I'll prob end up doing a return/exchange so I get another 30 days I hope lol. I don't want to spend an extra $150 for the asus or linksys. That's why I been here trying to stick it out with you 😂
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 77 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

DjRiDe
😉😉😊. That was exactly my motivation to dive myself into trouble shooting, and preserve myself from additional financial burden, unnecessarily.
With peace,
Terry
Message 78 of 193
rayny2e
Star

I think my Original post was in November (i'd have to look for my post to find the exact day)..  about this same issue. I believe I was the first one to discover to Roll back the firmware and also what version worked. I also don't like the security issues involved with usig an outdated firmware. I was stupid in not returning my $320.00 router while i had a few days left. I talked myself into thinking that "surely" Netgear would care enough to finally FIX this issue,but i can see now what a fool i was to think that way. I regret not returning it..now I have to live with it.. yeah,my OLD, OUTDATED,Security proned Firmware is still working without the router locking up every 24 hours,but the LACK of caring by Netgear really sux! This will be my LAST Netgear purchase... i'm DONE!!!!!  

Message 79 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

Ray,

Guess I should return while I have the chance 😩
Message 80 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

As I am typing this message, I was debating myself.how to respond to raymy2e's post Just like I mentioned in earlier post, I am optimistic about the aspect of how fast and how efficiency Netgear will try to fix the problem that has been occuring since late November, 2017., but one thing for sure that this problem involving some integration of a new feature and they are since aware of it. 

People have freedom of choice and with it the consequences. Personally I always look at bad consequences as a learned lesson, and always find the way to remedy it. Life is not always smooth, anyway..

Best

Message 81 of 193
rayny2e
Star

I was optimistic also... but that was 1/4 of a year ago... when is enough enough?? Has Netrgear even admitted they recognize this issue and that they are working on a fix??  They are a HUGE company and could write a new firmware update anytime they want.. oh wait... theyt HAVE updated the firmware.... several times already... has it helped with this issue...??  NO..... soo why are you optimistic...?  They could at least acknowledge this concern... they KNOW we are using vulnerable NETGEAR FIRMWARE... I don't see ANYTHING from them that shows me they care! This is just my opinion... we ALL have one! 

Message 82 of 193
rayny2e
Star

Forgot to say I AGREE with you about lesson learned!!!!  NEVER BUY NETGEAR AGAIN!! PERIOD...END OF MY STORY... 

Message 83 of 193
mazrimne
Tutor

Unfortunately too late for me Smiley Sad

Message 84 of 193
jason-c
Tutor

Another angry Netgear customer here. I bought this router for our office and we now have to reboot it about once a day. Quite a headache given that this is a work environment where everything grinds to a hault when the internet is down.

Yesterday, I tried downgrading to V1.2.1.6_1.1.86. Today, it went down again and required a reboot to restore service.

This is absolutely the last Netgear product I will buy. As a tech, I'm also going to work my hardest to spread the link to this thread on every available forum on the internet. Netgear should be ashamed of themselves for letting an issue like this drag on for months.

Message 85 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

Firmware Version
V1.2.1.6_1.1.86

I been on this since 1/10 and no issues thus far. Not saying I want to be on older firmware but it's helping for now. I have an exchange router coming giving me another 30 days to fully evaluate to return. Almost positive I'll be returning just giving me some time to see if the price drops on the asus or linksys replacement lol.
Message 86 of 193
jason-c
Tutor

After you rolled back to the older firmware, did you do anything else (e.g. a factory reset)?

Message 87 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

Updated firmware (to older) then unplugged for a few mins and plugged it back in. That was all I did and so far no issues at all.
Message 88 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Technically speaking, after upgrading/downgrading FW, one should do resetting the router by 30-30-30 resetting method.. That is for sure the router will get to factory setting , clearing all catches, clearing NVRAM etc, and returning the router to clean factory setting.
Message 89 of 193
jason-c
Tutor

Will give that a try. 

I'm curious if others have had success eliminating this issue with the V1.2.1.6_1.1.86 firmware rollback.

Message 90 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

Literally just received this (attached) email from netgear. Whose gonna be the first to try 😂
Message 91 of 193
Calbenzo
Tutor

@jason-c wrote:

Will give that a try. 

I'm curious if others have had success eliminating this issue with the V1.2.1.6_1.1.86 firmware rollback.

1.1.4.6_1.1.85 has been the most stable for me thus far, with the smart connect turned OFF.

Message 92 of 193
rayny2e
Star

Just to say again the only Firmware I have found to work for me is V1.1.4.6_1.1.85  It has been working non stop for almost a month now and I'm NOT about to TRY netgears NEW Upgraded Firmware until I see GOOD reports about it. I HATE liing with a security risk, but then again I HATE living with Netgears inability to produce a firmware that just WORKS the way it should! This is/has been a disgrace from the start! This is a defective Product plain and simple until such a time that Netgear can make it work as it should!! 

Message 93 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Just received it, too. Nothing new
Message 94 of 193
aataree
Guide

Well, I turned off QoS on the 1.3 firmware, here's hoping that helps with the problems, will report back in a few days. 

I also documented my symptoms at this post. wondering if any of you have similar.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Router-drops-internet-connection-once-a-day-...

Message 95 of 193
stan21
Guide

I had the same problems with daily lockups with my old router under 1.0.3.8. Are you using any USB3 devices too? That really aggravated the problem for me to the point where the router bricked and hard resets couldn’t revive it. I got a replacement R8000P but didn’t update the firmware to see how stable it was (1.0.1.8_1.0.68) and it has been rock solid for 10 days. The only issue is when a connected a USB3 again 2 days into it. It froze up after 2-3 hours with the USB3 plugged in. I had to do a hard reset to get it back up, unpluging it multiple times made no difference it would no longer connect to the network. Last time i had used HFS+ formatting. So before i reconnected this time i formatted to NTFS but that or the firmware version didn’t make a difference. Netgear asked for the old router so they can test it in the lab. For now i will stick to the old firmware until Netgear issue a stable new version and hopefully fix the USB issue.
Message 96 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

So here's my update....

Still on:

Firmware Version
V1.2.1.6_1.1.86

Decided to plug in my hard drive to the router - and few mins later network connectivity stopped.  Could not access the internet or the network on my connected PC or my phone via wifi.  Phone was asking me to re-input password and it wouldn't even take it.  unplugged hard drive and few mins later connectivity came back and everyting working normal again.  So looks like I cant connect a hard drive to this router because its causing the issue. 

Come on NETGEAR step up and fix it....

Message 97 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Hi DjRiDe.
One new thing I just discovered. If you don't need DLNA enabled, then uncheck the checkbox under Advance Tab, USB Functions, Media Server.
This will possibly help while they are working on fixing it. (USB storage Media Server causing httpd drop, leading to massive problems that we all know).
Best,
Terry
Message 98 of 193
stan21
Guide

I had disabled all USB functions on my 1st router with 1.0.3.8 but it would still lock up just about daily after i figured USB connected HDs make it unstable.
The USB issue with hard drives goes back to the release of this router i think. I am on release 2 of 8 right now and plugging an HD is a no-no, even though the router is stable wothout using USB at least. And i tried different HDs. I didn’t try using USB2 to see if makes routers unstable.
Message 99 of 193
aataree
Guide

I do have a Western Digital USB 3.0 HDD attached to the Router. It has hundreds of H.264 movies on it for my household DLNA server. 
Very weird that a Hard Drive may be crashing IP packets, even when not in use.

Message 100 of 193
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7