Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000P dropping wifi connection

TerryPh
Virtuoso

Re: R8000P Bricked after recent update

Aataree.
Did it crash your router?
If it didn't, what is your router model and its FW running on it now?. My curiosity...
BR
Message 101 of 193
aataree
Guide

TerryPh

Using V1.3.0.8_1.2.1  Model R8000P

This problem really started occuring around when the QoS update firmware was patched in during December, was fine before then, but that's only my memory on that, but it was around that time period. I have turned off QoS, and should know within 72 hours whether it made a difference. Maybe there's a conflict between QoS and DLNA where the memory allocation on the CPUs is slowly causing a bleed.

I wonder if it's possible for Netgear Developers to live log entries to a text file on the USB 3.0 hard drive in a live way, so if the router crashes, we can see the last entries, since rebooting clears the log file cache. where after every 1,000 lines or so, it starts a new log file on the USB drive. This would be infinitely useful from a customer perspective. text files are so small these days compared to data size, should be easy.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 102 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Aataree
Actually Netgear PM did send debug FW with that capability to create logs on attached USB drives as events happened with routers. I have R8000 and been debugging few trial fw's for this model.
If you read my posts, just a few (I do not want to postulate too much on thie forum,) the contemplation now is memory allocation with new feature supported, and MAY BE QoS, and other packets routing stuff in networking.... All are being worked on now. How long will it take? I leave it up to NETGEAR sw development department to figure it out. As a consumer, I'm really not good in patience, but I understand also solution does not come in short period of time..
Message 103 of 193
muh
Guide
Guide

Re: R8000P dropping wifi connection

I hve the same problem for my new R8000P. Is there any way to set the router reboot it self by daily or weekly? I have tryed everything I can but still have to unplug the power cable to let router reconnect to the internet. This is my second router brout from Staples, I don't thing return and exchange will help. Any other solutions?

Message 104 of 193
Anongw65
Aspirant

@muh wrote:

I hve the same problem for my new R8000P. Is there any way to set the router reboot it self by daily or weekly? I have tryed everything I can but still have to unplug the power cable to let router reconnect to the internet. This is my second router brout from Staples, I don't thing return and exchange will help. Any other solutions?

Fortunately, since I replaced my original R8000P with another R8000P, I haven't had any issues, but I still reboot the router daily.  As I consider it a computer, which, in reality, it is, rebooting isn't necessarily a bad thing.  That being said, I don't think there's a way for the router to reboot itself.  I use a digital timer, much like this, and set it to shut off for one minute every night.  

Message 105 of 193
windsaga
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Muh,

May I know your ISP and Internet setting ? (PPPoE ? DHCP?) and Modem model name ?

Did you attached USB device to router which contains media file ?

Message 106 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

How about trying to disable Circle parental control (if you have newer firmware) AND disable DLNA under USB Functions Tab-media Server? Whether you have USB storage attached devices or not..
Best,
Message 107 of 193
muh
Guide
Guide

Windsaga:

The ISP is Mediacom the router has been configured as DHCP. The Ping test result for the largest non-fragmented packge size is 1472 so I  am using the default MTU 1500.

The modem model name is R8000P Nighthawk X6S-AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router.

I do have an Seagate external hard drive connect to the Router through USB3 port. which contains media files

The router has the newerst Firmware 1.3.0.8

Message 108 of 193
muh
Guide
Guide

TerryPh:

I will try it and let you know.  Thanks.

Message 109 of 193
windsaga
NETGEAR Expert

So far, R8000P doesn't support Circle.

wrote:
How about trying to disable Circle parental control (if you have newer firmware) AND disable DLNA under USB Functions Tab-media Server? Whether you have USB storage attached devices or not..
Best,

Message 110 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Thanks  windsaga for letting me know that Circle is not implemented on R8000P.

Possibly DLNA turning off alone would help stabilized the router away from memory shortage during its process silently running in background of scanning and piling up the catch size in the memory. They are working on this problem but not completedly and optimally solved yet.

Just my 2 cents.... My router R8000 has been stable since DLNA was turned off. 

Message 111 of 193
aataree
Guide

If this problem does have to do with DLNA, that's disappointing.

I bought this modem specifically for the bonded four 5GHz antenaes and DLNA. I would not have bought it if the DLNA was buggy. (which it wasn't before December)

Message 112 of 193
aataree
Guide

If this problem does have to do with DLNA, that's disappointing.

I bought this modem specifically for the bonded four 5GHz antenaes and DLNA. I would not have bought it if the DLNA was buggy. (which it wasn't before December).

I put the router on a remote controlled 120v reboot plug this week, so if it goes down, I can just turn it off and on with a remote. I have the router positioned near the ceiling to increase coverage in many rooms over furniture density (which works). and having a remote to easily do cold reboots would be nice, but unnecessary if this hanging problem didn't exist.

Message 113 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@muh

Jus wonder how is the router functions now, after you tried to disable DLNA?

Message 114 of 193
muh
Guide
Guide

I have not reboot the router for three days.

Message 115 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

That should be the good sign. At least the router is stable until Netgear put out another good fix for all.
Message 116 of 193
MrJace
Tutor

I'm really thankful to find this thread - going to try TerryPh's DLNA-disabling trick tonight and see how things go.  Couldn't hurt to have yet another confirmation of a fix.

Though, to be clear, has anyone downloaded the latest firmware AND disabled the DLNA?

And here I thought I just bought an expensive router that couldn't keep up with my neighbors...

Message 117 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

Curious of the above as well if latest firmware with dlna off. If it's stable. I'm still on the old firmware and no issues of needing to reboot. Just no USB hardive capabilities.
Message 118 of 193
muh
Guide
Guide

First, I am using the latest firmware and after disable the Dlan the router did not drop the internet connection( four days).

But in the same time I am start to read the log file for this router. I found out there is a remote IP access from outside I am not aware to access my DVR ( I am using port fowarding). So I disable these ports and secured the DVR. For last few days I always delete the log file after I check on it. I don't know is this will help to provent the reboot router or not. The router log file may increased very fast because it will record all of DoS port scan access for your router. It is easy to find out there are over huadreds port scan has been droped buy this router everyday. That showing the router did a good job on security part. I am still testing the ReadyCloud now and I will update if I find anything that may affect this router need to reboot issue.

Message 119 of 193
muh
Guide
Guide

I am using USB3 port to connect a seagate external HD for ReadyCloud.

Message 120 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@DjRiDe

Hi again DjRiDe.

I am glad that things are ok with you. Just to remind me that you exchanged the router to get the new same model, R8000P?

I guess the old firmware that you are running on the router does not have Circle parental control app implemented, and that should be ok with DLNA on as default setting.

I am activelyl testing multiple trial fw version for R800 with various setting protocols, and like I mentioned in some other posts, Netgear is aware of the messy problems involving multiple models, but it boil down to a root cause, hypothetically a limitation of memory and the way memory allocate various apps in background running that really causes the problems.

In short, they are working on it.

I will take a plunge today to install the newest firmware from web site (knowing that it will fail again) and try to manipultate the setting with DLNA off and load it with all other features on to see what happens... Cross your fingers....

Best regards,

Terry

Message 121 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Hi muh
Readycloud should be ok. It does not matter whether you delete the log file or not.
Best,
Message 122 of 193
aataree
Guide

I use DLNA all the time on my R8000P. so turning it off isn't an option.

I did turn off QoS in the newest firmware 4 days ago, and I have not needed to restart the router since. If that changes, will update. 

To me, it appears to be a resource problem between QoS monitoring and DLNA. Either way, I hope Netgear figures out this problem.

Message 123 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

They are working on ways to reduce the impact of DLNA catch file on memory. So far still in the beginning/testing period.

Message 124 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

Hi Terry,

Correct using the same old firmware with no circle parent. It's fine but just wish I had my USB storage lol

Will wait to hear back updates from you 😊
Message 125 of 193
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7