Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000P dropping wifi connection

Sinsayshin
Aspirant

Re: R8000P dropping wifi connection

I'm rude? I just stated what happened to me. But sure ok....
Message 176 of 193
myersw
Master

Rude is also being asked to provide the version number of firmware running without issue and refusing to do it. 

Message 177 of 193
Sinsayshin
Aspirant

What ever crack your smoking? Go some where else with this b.s. this is for the r8000, I dont know what your using but if you did read my comments. I just went back on it today. So it's been less that 3 hrs why would I give any feed back. And the firmware is on what I wrote. Look or read better
Message 178 of 193
myersw
Master

@Sinsayshin wrote:
What ever crack your smoking? Go some where else with this b.s. this is for the r8000, I dont know what your using but if you did read my comments. I just went back on it today. So it's been less that 3 hrs why would I give any feed back. And the firmware is on what I wrote. Look or read better

If you are talking about a r8000 why are you posting on a r8000p thread? Maybe you are the one smoking? 

Message 179 of 193
Sinsayshin
Aspirant

My fault I didnt do your research. I guess you just have to man up and do your own research.
Message 180 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@Sinsayshin

The whole "rudeness" event did not initially involve you, any way. I think that is between @StarwoodZero and @myersw to start with.

Any way, kindly chill out since this forum intention is to share and help out each other to get Netgear problem solved, as much as we can.

I was also curious to find out what firmware version that @StarwoodZero has been using on his R8000P router which renders it stable, with his setting of Acess Control with Netgear MAC filtering. 

I have been running my R8000 stable with version 1.0.4.10 with DLNA disable alone. My hookup with R8000 is intensed with both USB drives, and all other things wired and wireless. So far it has been very stable. Parental control with Circle or Open DNS seems to work ok laterly.

I am expecting R8000P coming to my way in very short time. and I will try my best to see if I can get it work ok

Cheers,

Terry

Message 181 of 193
Sinsayshin
Aspirant

Looks like some people rather start crap and not ask for the proper help. See how far that gets them. Anyways I'm done with this form. Deleting my account, ain't going to help anyone anymore. See ya
Message 182 of 193
rayny2e
Star

I was the original poster of this Router Issue back in october,2017. I also came up with the last known working firmware which is 1.1.4.6_1.1.85  I have quietly been monotoring this thread every day. I have tried every new Firmware Including the latest one as late as 2 days ago. I absolutely know HOW to properly install new firmware, factory reset the router,power it off,then go through a complete new setup. I'm just touching base to say this latest attempt worked for ONE FREAKIN' DAY... just like all the other Firmwares Netgear has released since October 2017.. I have figured out 2 choices,since it is QUITE CLEAR now that Netgear Has NO CLUE how to fix this issue. I'm gonna install digital timers for modem and router to reset each morning around 5 AM, and possibly again around 5 PM. This will eliminate the NETGEAR Issue and will clear out any junk cache files,etc.. Kill 2 birds with one stone I guess. My only other method that i KNOW works is to run that outdated Firmware that I provided in this post!! It is very stable but has security risks!! Thanks for NOTHING Netgear!! $329.99 for this router and almost a year later and you still CAN'T FIX IT!! I'm just sick N tired of being sick N Tiired....!!!!!! 😞  

Message 183 of 193
StarwoodZero
Aspirant

Hi @rayny2e

I wanted to respond directly to you. I too followed this thread for a while until recently. First, wanted to thank you for posting way back when. It has helped a lot of people, including myself.

I bought by R8000P about 2 weeks ago, and had the same issues as described by everyone - where the connection is lost on all bands after a day of continuous running.

A few days after reading this thread, I tried a could of things, and the one item that seemed to get me somewhere was when I applied v1.4.0.10 - https://kb.netgear.com/000058837/R8000P-Firmware-Version-1-4-0-10

There seemed to be no change. So I decided to factory reset and re-apply all of my settings manually. This time everything seemed stable. However on the 6th night, I noticed that the 2.4GHz band dropped (the 2 5GHz bands seemed ok for some reason). I powered off my cable modem then my router, and tried to observe again. It has been 3 days now with no issue, but still monitoring.

My expectation is that at some point in the near future, the bands will drop again. If that happens, I plan on returning my purchase to Amazon (I have until Aug 2 to do this). If it's still up, I think I may keep it and try to see if Netgear gets around to fixing long term.

I like the router, but it's a shame about this issue. From what I could research, this is not the only model affected, and it seems to be 100% software-related.

Let me know if you have any thoughts, or if you tried what I did above.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 184 of 193
myersw
Master

One question is are is the 5 wireless set to auto for channel selection?  DFS could be your issue as it will cause the router to drop wireless connection on the 5GHZ. 

Dropping of wireless on 5GHZ.
Problem can come up if the router is set to auto channel select which is default. What can happen is the router has selected a DFS (Dynamic Frequency Selection) channel. If the router is on one of these channels and it detects what it thinks is radar, which can be things like a microwave oven, the router will shutdown the wireless for a period of time. You can see that depending on channel the router will shutdown the wireless for 1 or 10 minutes by regulations. It is possible that due to firmware issues it may not restart the wireless.

If operating on channel 52,56,60,64,100,104,108,112,132,136,140, 5GHZ devices should detect radar signals for about 1 minute, and it should take for about 10 minutes when operating on channel 116,120,124,128 according to ITU-T Radio Regulations. Wireless client are not able to find the wireless signal broadcasting by the AP during this period.
Although DFS give you the choice to use DFS channels but it may be annoying when there is radar operating nearby. To mitigate the effect of DFS you may choose a fixed non-DFS channel if available.

My suggestion is that a channel should always be configured and pick on outside of the DFS channels listed above. I typically use 149 or 36 and do not have issues of loosing wireless channels.

Message 185 of 193
rayny2e
Star

No,not set to auto at all. I tried that in 2017 but I don't use auto. Thx for all you wrote. I'm a ham radio operator,NY2E is my call letters from the fcc,so I'm familiar with frequencies and what you wrote. I'm using digital timers now on the modem and router. I'm done waiting for netgear to fix this. The old firmware never locks up for months on end,it just keeps working. None of their new firmware work .
Message 186 of 193
StarwoodZero
Aspirant

That is a very interesting post. Thank you. So you are saying that this might be occurring by design and by fixing the channels to a non-DFS channel, it may stay up. I will need to check when I go home, what the netgear software will let me choose. If I can specify the channel, I will try what you proposed. Hopefully I configure it properly.
Message 187 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@myersw

Very interesting topic, Bill, regarding the DFS. My observation is that, for 5G wireless broadcast, the channels usually defaulted to <32,146>. outside the radar range, but it is good to know to set the wireless parameter signal transmission outside this range.

One side note, most of the time when the router disconnects the wireless internet connection, it also disconnects the wired connection, and this puzzles me, particularly, when I had to deal with this issue months ago: total loss of internet connection wired and wireless with my R8000. Presently it is resolved with quite stable operation.

One day ago, I acquired the R8000P (thanks to generous exchange with the seller, you know who @myersw), and it has been running with version 1.3.0.10_2.1.46.1 which is one version earlier than the present published version 1.4.0.10_2.1.46.1 on NG website . I will keep a close monitoring the router's behavior for next 7 days  for any hickups... and let you all know.

Cheers

Terry

Message 188 of 193
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi All,

A new firmware is available that believed to address the Internet connection or intermittent connection issue. Please update the firmware to 1.4.1.24. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059559/R8000P-Firmware-Version-1-4-1-24

Regards,

Blanca  

Community Team

Message 189 of 193
myersw
Master

Have wondered for sometime now if when "the Internet is down" for both Ethernet and wireless devices if the issue is possibily a DNS/DHCP issue caused by dhcpmasq crashing. Folks quite often do not tell the state of the Internet connection light.  Have seen a very similar exerience running DD-WRT on a router and having dhcpmasq crash. If you are on windows go to a command prompt and do a ipconfig /all. See info about DNS server and DHCP server as well as IP address. If no DNS server you will never get to Internet even if you have a IP address. You can try ipconfig /release clear the IP info and then ipconfig /renew. Should get IP address, DHCP server and DNS server. If not then dnsmasq is probably at fault. 

Message 190 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@myersw

Yeah, that was, DNS server problem that I had before with my R8000 (any FW version, either beta, older and newer versions). But what was interesting was why dnsmasq failed? Was it due to hardware memory limitation while executing it or what? I could not figure it out, but with DLNA scanning function OFF, it took care of problem with DNS and DHCP proxy. But so far my R8000 has been running free of serious problems with internet connection for months... 

As you know, I am trying with R8000P now to see if I can get satisfied results.

Terry

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 191 of 193
myersw
Master

Thanks for the info. I hope that the Netgear firmware folks look at this possibility. Saw it with DD-WRT on r8000 and also Linksys wrt3200acm.

Message 192 of 193
DarthSaint94
Initiate

So, obviously this router is trouble. When it works for me, it works great. But every other day it craps out, and that's just unacceptable. Do any of you guys have recommendations for a router that has 5G and will actually work how it should?

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 193 of 193
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7