Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000P dropping wifi connection

stan21
Guide

Re: R8000P dropping wifi connection

Hi, the firmware version i use is 1.3.0.8_1.2.1. The hard drive i used was Western Digital WDBKUZ0040BBK-UA Easystore 4TB Portable Backup.

Message 51 of 193
stan21
Guide

Re: R8000P dropping wifi connection

Hi Anongw65,

If I were you I would not set the reboot daily so this way you know whether you have a problem or not and I would max out the USB use. It's better to know now than when you need it and it's out of warranty. Just my 2 cents. I also had an issue with the USB3 after the hardwire reset. The router reassigned the drive letters. Initially the drive was set to U: drive and it was called USB_Storage and there was a system files drive named T:\\T_Drive. After the hard reset it flipped the drive letters so the U became T but it was still calle USB_Storage and the T drive becaue U but was still called T_Drive. When that happened. I could no longer do the Map Network Drive as it didn't appear as a valid drive. I aslo had issues with the drive mapping after reboot before that while it worked. As soon as Windows rebooted i got a message saying that Windows can't recognize some of the drives and the drive would be shown with a red X mark. I would have to manually disconnect and then remap. Selecting the SMB1 server option allowed me to just click on the drive link and reactivate it as opposed to disconnecting and reconnecting but from what i've read it makes PCs vulenerable as it's very old technology from the early 90's. I read on another forum that R8500 and R9000 got firmware updates to SMB3 and no longer have the drive mapping issues. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue? To me the USB was definitely a part of the problem as the router would have a total meltdown and nothing would work and sometimes several times a day. I have a ton of music on the drive but i hadn't even mapped it yet to any client software, so the drive was not even in real use. After disabling all USB functions on Saturday night it lasted unitil last night so that's actually 3 days and before the last Wi-Fi only freeze i thought I had isolated the issue. But there is apparently something else causing the Wi-Fi to freeze while ethernet connected devices still worked. I am getting guidence from Netgear tech so I'll update you if this gets resolved.    

Message 52 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Re: R8000P Bricked after recent update

Hi DjRiDe.

I do understand your decision to return and consider getting asus or linksys router, after many headaches that you went through. Btw, I am also a favorite user of asus routers in the past, but I also like Netgear due to their solid hardware and stability in the past. I think Netgear recently tries to update most of their newer router models and this cause lots of problems. I myself had many days of headaches with my R8000 router which has been stable prior to updating to new firmware in early December last year. 

Since then, I reversed back to the old stable firmware version and the router works flawlessly with some minor inconveniences.

Last straw for you, if you do not mind, is to reverse to earlier FW version, may be v1.2.1.6 or earlier v1.1.4.6 for your R8000P or any version that DOES NOT involve Disney Circle (parental control) feature, because I suspect that  this feature more likely causes the problems with USB connection, internet connection instablility and a host of other problems involving DNS server etc. 

Let me know if you really want to downgrade again and give it few days more before you return the product. And that is totally understandable..

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 53 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

Hi Terry,

On my R8000P I updated this morning to:
Firmware Version
V1.2.1.6_1.1.86

I'm a little skeptical in keeping it though.  This is my first netgear router - always had linksys in the past.  My house recently having more and more smart devices throughout that why I went with this router to have a stable connection for all my tv's, thermostats, doorbell, camera's and all personal devices.  I wanna say there's probably at least 30 things connected to wifi in my 3000 square foot (2 story) house.  Like I said when this router is working its amazing!  Just in the middle of the night it will hang up the internet upload or download (no internet) but network still there and connnected.  Reason for being skeptical i have probably a little over a week before I lose my return window.  I'm happy if it continues to work fine on this lower firmware but afraid that after my return window I will have issues with newer firmware releases and I'm stuck with this.  So i'm actually at a loss as to what to do.  Seen some good reviews on the linksys ea9500 and the asus 5300.   So I gotta really decide quickly whats the best thing to do as well.

Thanks for your assistance! 

Message 54 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Yeah. If this is the case, I would do the same, returning the router, too , because one week is too short for any hesitation.

Asus has been excellent in their routers, particularly high-end ones. Their AC routers seems to be very stable ( My other 2-story-house 

with ASUS RT-AC3200 works perfectly with covergage more than 3000 sqft).

Well, good luck for you then.

Message 55 of 193
windsaga
NETGEAR Expert

Hi DiRjDe,

Did you connect USB device ? I would like to know if uSB device let DUT crash and let sustem reboot.

System reboot let internet disconnect.....

Message 56 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

Thanks Terry!

Hi Windsaga,
I did not connect any USB devices currently as my main concern was to have stable internet. After that I was gonna worry about adding a hard drive for network storage.
Message 57 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Hi DiRjDe.
Since you just downgrade to older version, and I don't have R8000P to confirm, can you
1. Confirm if the version you are running on your router has the Disney Circle feature on It?
2. If it does not have Circle parental control or anything involving Circle , can you let us know tomorrow if your router running stable. You have one week left to return if it gets "crazy"again😊😊.
3.FYI. Just received email from NETGEAR Production Manager confirming what I thought was the root cause of problems.... and they are working hard to debug it.
Thanks
Terry
Message 58 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

Hi Terry,

I had to create an account access the parental side of the router settings.  I just did and when i went to it I didnt see anything about disney controls - Here's a screen shot of it.

Snip20180110_8.png

Message 59 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Hi DjRiDe,
I assume that you created parental control account by DDNS account, if you don't have Circle, and this confirms that you are running older firmware version.
Please, please, please let us know tomorrow if any problems at all with the router functions.. This is also for my curiosity...
Thx
Terry
Message 60 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

Hi Terry,

That is correct - thats what I had to create the account for.  As of right now I'm still up and running with no issues on 

Firmware Version
V1.2.1.6_1.1.86

I put this on this morning around 9am - normally its about 48hrs to 72 hrs where I get the hang ups - will report back tomorrow (24 hrs) as well - just think its too soon to conifrm as well

Message 61 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Good to hear that. If by tomorrow you don't have problem, then chances are you will be ok. Let's just hope it will be stable until Sunday evening, that is way past 72 hours and still have few days left for return...
Best,
Terry
Message 62 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

Update:

24 hours on:
Firmware Version
V1.2.1.6_1.1.86

So far no issues - internet hasn't went down
Message 63 of 193
windsaga
NETGEAR Expert

Hi DjRide,

May I know your internet type? PPPoE or DHCP?

ISP is Arris ?

Message 64 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

Windsaga,

DHCP
ISP: xfinity/Comcast
Modem: attached
Message 65 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

😊😊😊. I just wonder again if you can reconnect the SUB storage back to router. If it fails, there goes the router back to shop for return.
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 66 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Hi DjRiDe
😊😊😊. I just wonder again if you can reconnect the SUB storage back to router. If it fails, there goes the router back to shop for return.
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 67 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

Hi Terry,

I never had one connected but I will try one after I clear the 72 hour period. Just want to rule out that firmware is the only reason why the internet stops every few days. So far still good btw. Keep you posted.
Message 68 of 193
aataree
Guide

I had the router locking / hanging issue during the month of december. 

However, I installed the newest firmware the last few weeks and now i have no issues of needing to manually reset the router. You guys should give the new firmware a try.

It would be nice if netgear had a Router auto-reset function. Example: if the device does not respond to devices in 30 seconds, reboot the router.

Model R8000P

Message 69 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

Update:

2 1/2 days
Firmware Version
V1.2.1.6_1.1.86

So far no issues - internet hasn't went down

Note: I did try the newest firmware and had issues with the internet hang ups that's why I reverted.
Message 70 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

Update:

3 Days (72 hours)
Firmware Version
V1.2.1.6_1.1.86

So far no issues - internet hasn't went down 🙏🏽
Message 71 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Hi DjRiDe
☺☺☺Yaay.... It's good news to start a good weekend. I suppose by tomorrow you would want to load up the router with all heavy loads, ie. USB connection, all your 30 gadgets that you have .... to see if all go well...
Today I'm working on debugging a test FW that was sent from NETGEAR PM. Cross my fingers, hopefully I can find something interesting that causes the problems...
Best
Terry
Message 72 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

Hey Terry,

All of my devices where connected all along through our testing phases. So far still good. Will attach a hard drive by tomorrow. 🙌🏽
Message 73 of 193
mazrimne
Tutor

The best part is that this spendy little product dropped while I was typing a reply. There is *nothing* smart about a router that you have to massage the firmware version to an older, less secure version to reduce the number of drops. 

Message 74 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

mazrimne,

I agree with you. That's why I'm still in debate mode whether to keep it. I got it at a great deal on Black Friday which is making not want to spend more for a comparable router. 😩😩

Message 75 of 193
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7