Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000P dropping wifi connection

windsaga
NETGEAR Expert

Re: R8000P dropping wifi connection

Is there google home or Chromecast in your network ?

if so, try to remove it

Message 126 of 193
mazrimne
Tutor

How does that even make sense? Isn't the point of buying an expensive router so that you *can* use Google home, etc.?

I work in IT. Over a duration this long, if they had an apppropriate sense of urgency  around fixing this problem it would be fixed.

FWIW, and not that Netgear cares, but upgraded the modem this weekend. Netgear products were not considered.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 127 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Back to the game.

I have been trying on newest firmware for my router R8000 for past 2 days with DLNA off., QoS off, Cirlce parental control on

1, Day oneL No problem with all router function (except DLNA off) including attached USB drives' files that can be aceesed to either locally or remotely, wired or wirelessly through wireless devices. This was good only for around 24 hours and then thigns went bad again, ie. loss of connection, router was "freezed". Noted that during the later 23 hours, access to USB drives' content thorugh ReadyShare and ReadyCloud became flaky, ( not all files are displayed on Readyshare connection nor acessible) 

2. Reset router, this time turning on DLNA with QoS on. and it was good only for approxmately 2 hours and then router got "freezed" again.

I have managed to reverse the firmware to previous stable one, and voila, things are good again.

Conlcusion:

Bad newest firmware out there. Just have to wait until they come up with the good fix.

Again, this is for model R8000, but I assume if the same problems persist for R8000P, then the newest firmware for it can be as Bad as well.

Terry.

Message 128 of 193
muh
Guide
Guide

TerryPH:

I did not catch you last post so I did upgrade last night. I will update later. I just want to know when your router drop the internet can you login to the router to see the log file?

Message 129 of 193
aataree
Guide

I disabled the QoS about a week ago now on my R8000P. 

My router has not crashed / hung since. 

I still have DLNA enabled with the hard drive connected and used the DLNA several times during this week.

My theory remains that the problem only started occuring when QoS was patched in and it conflicts with the DLNA file database for resources.

Message 130 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

Aataree,

Thx for the update. What firmware you using. Thinking to update to what your using. Thx!
Message 131 of 193
MrJace
Tutor

aataree, the QoS you're talking about - is it under Setup -> QoS Setup -> Dynamic QoS (tab) -> Enable Dynamic QoS?  Mine is already unchecked anyways?  Unless I'm looking in the wrong area.  Yeah, disabling DLNA on the latest firmware didn't really do anything for me, either.  Still had a crash or two, just not as often.

Unrelated, and anyone can feel free to PM me the answer so we don't go off topic - Why is Advanced Setup -> Wireless Settings -> "Enable MU-MIMO" disabled by default?  Wasn't one of the big things that the 8000P boasted over the 8000 that it had this support?  Are there drawbacks to me enabling it?  Perhaps I just don't understand the added value in the first place...

Message 132 of 193
muh
Guide
Guide

After I disable the DLAN the system has not drop the internet for a week even the router has upgradeted to the newerst firmware. The QoS is disabled on my 8000p. --- Just an update.

I  am going to continue watch this topic.

Message 133 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

From the ecperiences, the 2 things can not be concurrently on DLNA, QoS. So, either one of them has to be off.
This is for R8000P.
My router has 3 applications on it DLNA, QoS and Circle parental control and they can not run simultaneously and will result in router crashing.

Message 134 of 193
daravelli
Aspirant

I am having the same issue. Everything is still connected but any speed test shows a VERY slow connection (under 1mbps, I have a 300mbps connection). The router was stable on the firmware that I orginally had on it (1.2.1.6). Today I've downgraded to 1.1.4.6 and will report back if it fixes the problem. I've had to reboot my router about once every two days since the problem started. I don't have a hard drive currently attached.

Message 135 of 193
Tren
Aspirant

I have been having the same issue with the R8000P dropping every 24 hours with tech support no help. They actually act as if they have no knowledge of this issue. Is there a fix yet?
Message 136 of 193
windsaga
NETGEAR Expert

Did you use Comcast ISP ? Maybe ISP's problem.
Message 137 of 193
Tren
Aspirant

No I do not use comcast.
Message 138 of 193
MrJace
Tutor

I'm assuming there are no new updates on the progress of the actual fix.

I'm on the latest firmeware version.  I had disabled QoS at one point, but after seeing no improvement, I turned it back on.  And oddly enough - it went from an every day reset to an every 4 or 5 days reset.  Not quite sure why there's a difference, but I'll take it until we get a resolution.

Message 139 of 193
JamesGL
Master

Hi MrJace,

You have done factory reset on the device after the update?

Message 140 of 193
MrJace
Tutor

I did not. Is that procedure with a firmware update?
Message 141 of 193
aataree
Guide

Update, 

It has now been two weeks since I turned off QoS, and maintain DLNA enabled.

I have not needed to reboot my router a single time.

As stated above by Terry, there seems to be a resource problem between QoS, DLNA, and Parental Controls competing for resources.

Message 142 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@aataree
The most progressive memory consumption is the DLNA while it scans the media in the attached USB drive.with high capacity. It will immediately halt the router operation when it does not have enough memory resources.
For my R8000, I left QoS and Circle parental control off, and the router works perfectly fine.
Best,
Terry
Message 143 of 193
MrJace
Tutor

I correct my previous statement:

I'm on the latest firmeware version.  I had disabled QoS at one point, but after seeing no improvement, I turned it back on.

I had disabled DLNA and it did not help.  Do one of you mind pointing me out where the QoS setting is that helped so I can disable, too?  I found something that stated something along the lines of "Dynamic QoS" previously (as memory serves me, as I can't currently check), but wasn't sure that was the only QoS setting in there.

Message 144 of 193
MrJace
Tutor

I saw that they released another version, has anyone given it a try to see if it made a difference?  Though, 1 day isn't much of a sample size.

Message 145 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@MrJace

I did not see new FW update on website for R8000P. The most updated one was v.1.03.10, last Updated:01/28/2018.

Wonder where you found the newest FW version just so recently?

Message 146 of 193
MrJace
Tutor

I guess I mistook the e-mail to download the new app that updates firmware as a new version being available. Ignore my comment.
Message 147 of 193
DjRiDe
Apprentice

I still can't believe netgear has not fixed this issue...
Message 148 of 193
mazrimne
Tutor

You must be new here.

Message 149 of 193
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@DjRiDe

Good to see you back. How are you doing with your router?? Please update me as I am thinking they are coming up soon with something good. 

Message 150 of 193
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7