Re: R8000P second 5ghz wifi missing

nwork
Apprentice

R8000P second 5ghz wifi missing

Hi,

I just bought a Nighthawk R8000P and I have to admit I am a bit puzzled by the number of issues it has for which I find no explanation. The most annoying one by far is the disappearance of the second 5 ghz network. Technically, everything seems ok: LED is on and the settings are all in the green, but the network does not show up on any device. I rebooted, changed the network name, changed the channel and basically any other available setting to no avail. Interestingly enough, if I reboot the router, the network is sometimes visible right after it starts, but only for a few seconds.

There's one other post with the same problem (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Routeurs-WiFi-Nighthawk/Troisi%C3%A8me-band-5Ghz-devenue-innaccessi...), which is apparently related to connecting two storage drives (one for each USB port). I have the same setup, but the solution provided there (not using the USB 2.0 port) is not really a solution.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

By rule of thumb I would expect some SmartConnect feature is active - but I must admit I'm not on speed when it comes on the R8000P current status.

Taken form the thred referenced: "Pour le problème de raccordement des disques durs j'ai aussi trouvé une solution : en branchant les 2 disques durs sur la prise USB3 via un Hub USB3 et en laissant l la prise USB2 libre, je conserve les 3 réseaux WIFI. Par contre si j'utilise la prise USB2 je perd le réseau WIFI 5Ghz-2. Mystère ?"

Is this mistery what you are experiencing today on the current R8000P firmware? Yes if I got you right.

Current R8000P firmware version?

@Christian_R  please - yet another old unresolved issue (after years...). How is this possible?

Message 2 of 6
nwork
Apprentice

Hi!

Smartconnect is not active. I contacted support and they said I should do a hard reset and firmware reflash and potentially a downgrade as well. Strangely enough, it won't let me downgrade and hopefully it's not one of those things where the firmware update is busted (I did a quick search and there are quite a few threads with other NG routers that do not allow firmware flashing for some unknown reason).

I did a reset. Removed all the cables (except the power one, of course Smiley Happy ). Unfortunately I still can't see the 3rd network. So it appears that it's not the storage drives after all. I'm really at a loss here and am looking for anything that could solve this issue without having to return the machine (it's brand new and I'm starting to feel sorry for switching from Asus Smiley Sad ).

Message 3 of 6
nwork
Apprentice

Some additional information: same behavior if I activate the guest network. All ok for 2.4 and 1st 5 ghz guest networks. Nothing for the 2nd 5ghz. It's like the third band is a fake menu option altogether.

Message 4 of 6
nwork
Apprentice

Ok, so it appears I've found an empirical solution. I'm not sure if this is embarassing for me or for Netgear, but the thing that worked was -- believe it or not -- simply aligning the antennas. The three antennas on the right hand side of the router were not in line (must have moved them when I plugged in the drives). As a last ditch solution I played around with them and, voila!, everything now works fine (I didn't even have to reboot!). I'm not an expert, but this seems quite silly. The manual says the antennas need to be positioned in a certain way for maximum wifi efficiency, but I couldn't find anywhere where it says that if you don't align them you will not get full functionality (which, again, would make no sense to my mind). I'm happy my problem is solved, but I'd really love to see an explanation.

Message 5 of 6
Shreygehlot
Aspirant

The option is go for a replacement. Nothing else you can do. And in the replaced device don't update the firmware. I replaced my device. And make sure you ask for a new device and not a refurbished one
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements