Re: R8000P

htroudi
Apprentice

R8000P

Slow progress in the firmware updates. Why is it like this Netgear.

Many people out there have bought routers from you for hundreds of dollars.

But you are threating your customers like this!

In my case I've bought a Nighthawk R8000P for around 300$.
Last time you published a firmware was back in the beginning of October!!!

Shame on you for that. I don't own the router anymore. I gave it to my father. But I still I am concerned about their safety while they are online.

I hope a Netgear employee could answer this. I hope you have at least so much decency
Message 1 of 27

Is there something broken in the R8000P that needs fixing?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 27
htroudi
Apprentice

I would rather ask this question. Is there anything that really is working.
The whole development of such an expensive router is nothing more then embarrassing!
I'm way to tired and fed up with Netgear in general. But I will get back to you with a list of alpha/beta functions that are either unstable or working as it should. Not to mention the security aspects of some part of the firmware itself.

Once again....it's bad for you reputation Netgear.
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 27
myersw
Master

Boy if your r8000p was like the one I sold I would not have even given it to an enemy much less a father. 

You are correct that Netgear does not seem to be able to put out firmware without major flaws like wireless dropping. 

I moved on and decided Netgear routers will not touch my wireless network again. 

Shame as they used to be my go to and recommended routers. Not anymore. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 27
Datahog
Initiate

I too have been a netgear dedicated user for many years and have the R8000P thats less than 6 months old. Have to say I'm not impressed.The wifi signal drops and really doesnt have the range as advertised. It looks like a real badass with those six antennas but I'm getting to the point I may need a change. My old 1900 model worked better and had better range but unfortunatly I gave it to my daughter when I bought this one.

I have Spectrum 200 Mbps cable, Arris Surfboard SB6190 cable modem.

Message 5 of 27
htroudi
Apprentice

😂😂😂as far as I know there haven't been any news about threats to routers from almost every brand since the absolute beginning of October last year. So yeah Netgear. We are good with this development speed of your organisation. Keep up your damn good work........You're a complete joke. Bye bye
Message 6 of 27

We still don't know what is going wrong on your router. That makes it hard to pass it on to the Netgear team for their comments.

I presume that you are not one of those tedious people who proudly boast that they would never allow any Netgear device on their network and hang around here solely for the purpose of complaining and misleading poor souls who turn up in search of informed advice.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 7 of 27
myersw
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

We still don't know what is going wrong on your router. That makes it hard to pass it on to the Netgear team for their comments.

I presume that you are not one of those tedious people who proudly boast that they would never allow any Netgear device on their network and hang around here solely for the purpose of complaining and misleading poor souls who turn up in search of informed advice.

Well he must be doing something right as well for members. 10 accepted solutions, 100 kudos. Am sure you have more, just pointing out that he has been helpful to folks, unlike your insinuation that he is not helpful.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 8 of 27
IrvSp
Master

@myersw , I suspect you picked the wrong User. Check them all in the thread.

Message 9 of 27
myersw
Master

@IrvSp wrote:

@myersw , I suspect you picked the wrong User. Check them all in the thread.

@IrvSp 

Could be. I am used to Michael picking on me so assumed. Smiley Wink

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 10 of 27
htroudi
Apprentice

Alright I will let you know whats wrong with my router

1. Drops Wifi connection almost every day
So I need to reboot the router. Speedster back to normal and connects arter that
2. Gives my bad performance over ethernet when playing games. Latency shows above 30 m/s. It's not like that with my new Asus AC-86U.
3 . Tried factory reser so many times that I lost the count.
4. Best Day is to choose manual DHCP reservation. Then it works ok for 5-7 days in best case.
4. Dnsmasq is a very old version (with security breaches)
5. OpenVPN server is a joke. Works randomly and not configurable through GUI what so ever. The total opposite of Asus in this case.

I can give you guys even more .....but I'm feed up totally. I mean google "Netgear R8000P problems " and there you've got a bottom less search
Message 11 of 27
htroudi
Apprentice

Alright I will let you know what's wrong with my router

1. Drops Wifi connection almost every day
So I need to reboot the router. Connection and speeds are back to normal.
2. Gives me bad performance even over ethernet when playing games. High ping values. Gives me above 30 m/s. It's not like that with my new Asus AC-86U. Around 5-6 m/s
3 . Tried factory reser so many times that I lost the count.
4. Best way is to choose manual DHCP reservation for connected devices. Then it works ok for 5-7 days in best case.
4. Dnsmasq is a very old version (with security breaches)
5. OpenVPN server is a joke. Works randomly and not configurable through GUI what so ever. The total opposite of Asus in this case.

I can give you guys even more .....but I'm feed up totaly. I mean google "Netgear R8000P problems " and there you've got a bottom less search
Message 12 of 27
GuenterZ
Guide

I have a R8000P with firmware V1.4.1.30_1.2.26.
1. The WIFI connection is interrupted several times a day and the router needs to be restarted.
2. There are problems with setting up / deleting ports. Once a port has been deleted, it may not be assigned to another device.
3. Tried OpenVPN in all combinations on IOS and Android. It does not work!
Unfortunately I replaced my Linksys E4200 with this router because I wanted to have VPN functionality. I've never spent so much time on the router administration as now. Never again Netgear !!!

Greatings from Austria / Vienna

Message 13 of 27
htroudi
Apprentice

Still no firmware upgrade in sight. It's a heavy beast and you will sink to the bortom with it!!!
You better try to sell it . But it's bad for your own reparation. If you're planning to get paid for it
Message 14 of 27
Mimi888
Aspirant

Same problems!!
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 15 of 27
Madoow
Aspirant

I am having the same issues with OpenVPN. Works after a reboot for an hour or so, after that stops working till the next reboot..

Connected devices list is empty, but i do see them when make an DHCP reservation.. 

Message 16 of 27
Normanthegr8
Aspirant

Network hard drives are not visable on my laptop

Installed yesterday and I can't access 2 Hrd drives plugged into my router (My Book and My Cloud )  the old router showed the drives and I could use them like I should be able to now it sends me to a browser

Why doesn't my 90 day tech support have an access number or contact info

Bought ready to take this back to Best Buy and buy a different brand

Message 17 of 27
myersw
Master

Re: Network hard drives are not visable on my laptop

Bought ready to take this back to Best Buy and buy a different brand

IMHO, that would be a good move. There have been nothing but firmware issues with the r8000p. Also the firmware that controls the USB and drives is not very robust either. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 18 of 27
IrvSp
Master

@Normanthegr8 wrote:

Installed yesterday and I can't access 2 Hrd drives plugged into my router (My Book and My Cloud )  the old router showed the drives and I could use them like I should be able to now it sends me to a browser

Before one can answer you some more data is needed?

• What was the OLD router?
  • Is the new router at the same IP Address as the old one?
  • Did you set up READYSHARE or just plug in the drives?
  • What size drives are they?
  • Are they self-powered (Desktop External drive) or use power from the port (Portable drive)?
  • How did you use them before?
  • Is the LED for the ports on on top of the router?
  • What do you mean by "now it sends me to a browser"?
  • Although the OS shouldn't matter in this case, but what OS are you on?

What I suspect is you never set up the drives in the browser Genie for the router under ReadyShare? Might also have not set the network name if your OS is not using the same default? Could the drives be password protected?

As for calling NG Support, no number, at least in the US. You have to go to SUPPORT -> MY SUPPORT (and if the router is registered and you created an account, if not, you must), locate the router and CONTACT NETGEAR via e-mail. They will contact you, possibly first via e-mail with answers to your case information you provided or even call you.

Taking back the router and exchanging it because you think it is bad or getting a different one may not solve the problem, depending on what the problem is?

Message 19 of 27
schumaku
Guru

@Normanthegr8 wrote:

A WD My Book is connected by a USB cable to the router. Permitting the disk is recognized and the NEtwork FOlder is created automatically (see the router Genie Web interface -> ReadyShare), I would expect the My Book does show up as a computer/PC named ReadySHARE

A WD My Cloud is a NAS and is connected to the router by a network connection. Not much the router does with it beyond of establishing the network connection, assigning a LAN IP by DHCP, ... I would expect that the My Cloud does show up as a computer/PC in WIndows Explorer -> Network or ins MacOS Finder (under it's name).

Message 20 of 27
Normanthegr8
Aspirant

old router R7000

the 2 drives are eithernet connected ,show up on Netgear Genie , they show up on network but when clicked on instead of the drive opening and files appearing a browser opens and I have to log into the western digital cloud site , I shouldn't have to go onto the internet to access a drive on my network that is literally 1.5 feet away

Returning the router and buying a NON netgear router would get better customer service . Because even tho I have looked extensively no email address or phone number ever appears  It does say my 90 day free Customer service expired in September 2019 and directs me to Pay for Customer Dis Service.

Message 21 of 27
Normanthegr8
Aspirant

both are Eithernet connected

Message 22 of 27
schumaku
Guru

@Normanthegr8 wrote:

the 2 drives are eithernet connected ,show up on Netgear Genie , they show up on network but when clicked on instead of the drive opening and files appearing a browser opens ...

Ok, so it can't be a WD My Book IMHO.

Anyways, there are different categories shown e.g in Explorer - its not that the "same" catergory icon does behave different...

Talking about Windows here?

Used the same wireless network name, the same IP subnet for the LAN as on the R7000 before?

@Normanthegr8 wrote:

Returning the router and buying a NON netgear router would get better customer service .

Well, here in the community board you talk to just (mostly) other Netgear customers.

@Normanthegr8 wrote:

Because even tho I have looked extensively no email address or phone number ever appears  It does say my 90 day free Customer service expired in September 2019 and directs me to Pay for Customer Dis Service.

Where was this product bought from? Offered as new or "open packet" or "refurbished"? The Netgear moderators are typically able to help with the re-registration of routers sold that way. However, similar to the support, they are not working on the weekends. @Christian_R  please.

Message 23 of 27
IrvSp
Master

If you log into the router using a Browser, and on the ATTACHED DEVICE LIST, what do you see for WIRED DEVICES? Both should be there. They both should have an IP Address.

How did you access them before? Using what? If you assigned them a 'name', the problem could be that 'name' was associated with a different IP Address for the disks. You'd need to change that to match what is on the Attached Device list.

Message 24 of 27
Normanthegr8
Aspirant

purchased from Best Buy last Friday brand spankin new It registerd just fine  

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements