Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000p VPN not routing internet traffic

inferno10
Initiate

R8000p VPN not routing internet traffic

I'm trying to use the R8000P's built-in OpenVPN server with an iPhone.  I've configured the router to allow VPN clients to access "All sites on the Internet & Home Network," but when connecting to the VPN using the supplied Smart Phone config files, the iPhone can only access the home network and not the internet.  I confirmed that the non-Windows config file works correctly on a Mac (can connect to the internet and home network through the VPN), however I noticed that the non-Windows config uses TAP instead of TUN, which the Smart Phone config uses.

I tried using the Smart Phone config on the Mac, and experienced the same issue as the iPhone; it can connect to the home network, but times out trying to connect to the internet.  DNS lookups are working, and I can ping the local gateway.  But any attempt to ping external sites fails.  Traceroute shows that it fails at the second hop.

Is there anything I can do to allow my iPhone to access the internet through the VPN?

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
damage31
Tutor

Just a heads up my VPN issue has been resolved by Technical Support. 

My issue was that using an iPhone 6s with iOS 10.3.3(14G60) and OpenVpn client on the IOS device wasnt able to access private or public internet, it was only able to access the router login page, and nothing else anywhere (public or private).

I'm not technical enough to know the why's or how's about this issue, but tech support did provide me with a resolution for the R8000P that works when using Open VPN iOS client 1.2.6

While I cant share the resolution due to an NDA, know that there is a fix and all I can say is that hopefully it will be publically released as I am not the only person with this issue. Also know that Open VPN v1.2.5 and v1.2.6 for IOS devices has been a VERY buggy product release in and of itself, which has nothing to do with Netgear at all. I wasnt even sure that the issue was with the router until they provided  me the resolution to my issue - for all I know it very well could have been the iOS OpenVPN client software.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
htroudi
Apprentice

I've noticed that the VPN connection from my android phone resists even if I turn it off on my phone. THAT makes next try impossible. 

I have to turn of the OpenVPN server in the router and turn it back again to manage to reconnect!!!!!

Please fix this issue Netgear!!!!!ASAP

Message 2 of 11
htroudi
Apprentice

Anyone???? With the same issue??
Message 3 of 11
htroudi
Apprentice

Is this forum totally dead or just inactive during hollidays?
Message 4 of 11
juliobrazil
Aspirant

i managed to get working on windows and linux.

with ios and mac os problema persists.

can you get to work on these os first?

remember you can only have one dhcp and even connecting from another network ip must be different. 192.168.x.y x6s and your remote location (cell tether as example) must be 192.168.y.x

once you confirm on windows or linux i will help with android. ios does not work and i opened one thread for r8000p but no answer from netgwar.
Message 5 of 11
damage31
Tutor

I've got a ticket open with Netgear support on this very same issue. IOS device is unable to use internet when connected to vpn, only access local network. I'm still waiting on a fix from support and the issue has been escalated to higher level support but not resolved yet.

Message 6 of 11
juliobrazil
Aspirant

can u share link to ticket or is it private to u?
Message 7 of 11
h7255
Aspirant

I have this problem too

Message 8 of 11
damage31
Tutor

Just a heads up my VPN issue has been resolved by Technical Support. 

My issue was that using an iPhone 6s with iOS 10.3.3(14G60) and OpenVpn client on the IOS device wasnt able to access private or public internet, it was only able to access the router login page, and nothing else anywhere (public or private).

I'm not technical enough to know the why's or how's about this issue, but tech support did provide me with a resolution for the R8000P that works when using Open VPN iOS client 1.2.6

While I cant share the resolution due to an NDA, know that there is a fix and all I can say is that hopefully it will be publically released as I am not the only person with this issue. Also know that Open VPN v1.2.5 and v1.2.6 for IOS devices has been a VERY buggy product release in and of itself, which has nothing to do with Netgear at all. I wasnt even sure that the issue was with the router until they provided  me the resolution to my issue - for all I know it very well could have been the iOS OpenVPN client software.

Message 9 of 11
inferno10
Initiate

Looks like firmware V1.3.0.10_1.2.2 was just released, and fixed the issue I was having. My phone can visit sites through the VPN connection now.

Message 10 of 11
juliobrazil
Aspirant

it did 🙂 finally!
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements