Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000p can't update firmware

Mitus
Star

I hear what you're saying @shadowsports . 

I identified the issue upgrading my firmware while troubleshooting my main issue, which I have not been able to get any feedback on. Netgear told me that I have to pay them for premium support because It's been 4 months since I purchased the router and they only provide support for the first 3 months.

I have a 1GB connection from my ISP, which I get if I connect directly to my modem. However, when I connect to my R8000P, I get 1/3 of that connection on average (somtimes much lower). I read every similar post I could on here and tried everything... I identified that there was a new firmware out for the router and that's how I ended up on this post asking for firmware help. To be honest, I could care less about the firmware. I just want to get the speed I'm paying my ISP for and this was the last troubleshooting step I had available to me.

Message 26 of 197
nwork
Apprentice

I'm sorry, but 1.4.1.50 is definitely not stable.

So far, I've encountered the following issues:

- second 5GhZ wifi missing (I am one of the few encountering this problem who managed to fix it by randomly rearranging the antennas -- yes, it sounds ridiculous: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R8000P-second-5ghz-wifi-missing/m-p/1952896#...).

- router needs reboot every few days. it simply freezes for no apparent reason (all LEDs are ok, nothing in the logs)

- router freezes and requires reboot if I access too many video files at the same time from the 2 USB storage drives I have connected to it. I've replicated this countless times already.

- constant DDoS attack false flags in the logs.

From what I've read here, there are quite a few people encountering the same problems. I'm hoping a new firmware will solve at least some of these problems, but the fact that firmware update is unavailable is really the cherry on the cake. Like I've said before, I'm extremely disappointed with this machine. I used to run an asus RT-ac87u in exactly the same setup with absolutely no problem for several years (I think I never had to reboot it manually). My mistake for thinking this would be an upgrade.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 27 of 197
Mitus
Star

@nwork - That sucks man, I'm sorry to hear that. 

I actually don't have any of the issues you mentioned. Besides the fact that I get 1/3 or less of my bandwidth and I can't change the firmware, the router works normally. 

Message 28 of 197
nwork
Apprentice

On the other hand, I don't have your problem: I have a 1Gbps connection which works just fine at full speed.

Message 29 of 197
Mitus
Star

@nwork I don't know if I would trade you issues. Your situation sounds much worse than mine. 

This whole experience with Netgear has been a bit exhausting. I don't want to have to go buy a new router, but I feel like my options are slim at this point. I have tried everything (or everything I know) to identify the root cause. There's a bunch of other people who have posted about having the same issue. Nothing in their posts lead me to a solution. I really doubt that a firmware upgrade is going to be what solves it for me, but I remain hopeful.

Since you have experience with the R8000P, can you tell me if you had to tweak any settings or turn off/on any functions to get your 1GB speed?

Message 30 of 197

Greetings,

I ran 1.4.1.50 for 5 months without any issues. I can only speak to my experience with it. 

Both wired and wireless has 100% uptime.  No drops, dips, lag or performance issues.  No wireless broadcast issues or missing bands.  Definitely no freezing, or the need to restart or reboot my device.  

I'm running 1.4.1.62 for about 5 days now. I've been using Netgear products long enough and can say they are not without faults, but in general, the issues people experience are related to firmware or user error.  This includes updating over a wireless conenction, using the Genie App or similar (auto check and update) or Automatic update.  Applying a saved back up configuration (.cfg) from a older firmware over the top of a new branch, etc.  Occassionally a reset and starting from scratch after upgrade is a good idea.  

Hardware issues include not protecting the device from power flucuations.  A UPS or at the very least a surge protector can make a big difference over the course of a product's life.  Power supplies are sensitive and not as robust as we'd all like. Of course its possible to get a faulty device, but in general, there are more problems with firmware than any thing else.   

Defintely have gigabit speed.

ST Results.png

Message 31 of 197
nwork
Apprentice

Can't really agree with you. There are so many people having similar problems that it really can't be attributed to user error. Frankly, I'm very tired of hearing the same story: don't update via wireless, reboot, hard reset etc. For me and so many other users out there with the same problems these are basic (that is, obvious) things yet the replies one gets here are stuck in this same loop for some reason.

Just to reiterate my case: problems appearead immediately after installing the brand-new router. I accepted the automatic 1.4.50 firmware update during the initial setup, which worked fine. No random events like power fluctuations (I have protection for that), no stupid user (I've installed dozens of routers from other brands and have faced no similar issues), no shady downgrades (can't even downgrade due to this problem, btw) not anything within my control.

I am really hoping these are firmware problems, but, like I said, the fact that the firmware update is also messed up is somewhat surreal. It's highly frustrating to read here that so many other people have similar problems (firmware not updating, router freezing randomly, 5 Ghz second network not visibile -- plenty of threats with these issues indicate that they're not random; given that most people probably don't even bother with a forum, they're probably much more common than we might think).

To tell you the truth, the only reason I've not returned this is the hassle of having to go through the process. I'm not in the US, so it's really a protracted process to get a replacement (which I would not want in the first place, since I'm never getting another NG product) or my money back (too late for that now)

Sorry if I seem pissed, but right now I'm thinking I have to open multiple video files on my storage drives and I know it'll freeze after a couple of minutes :(. I'd be a bit happier if I would see an official acknowledgment from NG that they are aware of these issues and are working toward a reasonably quick fix. Unfortunately, these threads just pile up with apparent result.

Message 32 of 197
BobStevenson
Apprentice

I'm from another thread just like this one but NOW.....I am convinced that this item has been canabalized during production somewhere....IOW, somewhere along the way I believe another version chip was used and someone didn't tell the SW writer about it and we have issues. ShadowSports.....tell me the version of your router and the manufacture date and anything else because it appears that YOU have the only unit that works as designed! Somehow, I got a crap version and you didn't.....how you do dat? Please quit saying how stable this crap firmware is...it is NOT stable because it has bugs! period. 5G-2 drops out! It also takes longer than the 2.4G and the 5G-1 to initialize and make itself available for connections. AND how I can have 3 devices connected with the same IP addresses and all of them work is beyond me AND, if it is so stable, why are we here trying to update the darn thing? Because we have stability and bug issues!! THAT'S WHY! There are BUGS and it appears that Netgear is NOT going to squash them....they can't even produce a firmware update that the darn thing can install!! Just how are they going to fix something they can't even figure out how to flash??? 2 freakin' years since the last update and the new one doesn't work!! I have made a serious mistake in buying this and now it is too late to return it. What a fleecing I have undergone. Probably need to look at flashing it with a third party firmware that actually works as designed. DD-WRT did unbelievable wonders with the old Linksys WRT-54Gs.....gave them functions like a $1000 router! Why don't these companies hire the guys that actually know what they are doing...the open-source gurus? I'm fed up and actively searching for a new router to use....I HAVE to because of HIPAA regulations and Netgear isn't doing a darn thing to insure me that this router is secure! ESPECIALLY with a bazillion GHOST DoS attacks being logged! If they were real I would NEVER be able to get online.

Message 33 of 197
BobStevenson
Apprentice

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R8000P-Firmware/m-p/1965536/highlight/false#...

A second thread...same issue. We have entered the stage of diminished returns. Geez, I switched from years of using Linksys to Netgear, bad move.

Message 34 of 197
nwork
Apprentice

@MitusI didn't have to do anything for the 1 Gbps to function properly (went through the standard setup and followed the on-screen instructions: shut down any other connections on my modem etc.). I'm getting something like 900 Mbps on a wired connection and for wireless it depends on the device. I'm having no problems with internet speed. Storage read/write speed is not that great, but that was mentioned as a possible issue in the reviews I read before buying this. Otherwise, this is, again, quite a bad machine. I was getting the same internet speeds on the ISP branded router I had before, so I really don't care that my internet speed is ok.

Message 35 of 197

There is only one hardware revision of the R8000P

R8000p.png

This is what you might see when more than one hardware revision exists.

WNDR4500vX.png

There is no conspiracy or chip swapping that made it into production.  It's a bad FW release nothing more.  The R7960P is having the same issue, reported here as well.  As far as my ability to upgrade, it appears to be luck, as only one other person that I see reported similar success with upgrade.  I hope this gets resolved soon for everyone else.

Message 36 of 197
BobStevenson
Apprentice

Last message from Netgear was:

Hi, Robert,

I consulted your case here with our senior technician and waiting for their advise.

Sincerely,
XXX | Technical Support Expert - NETGEAR Operations

So I am waiting.Makes me also wonder if the issue is with the last firmware version or the new one. If a lock was put on some part of the code, such as for developer debugging, nothing will be able to overwrite it. I've taken this Netgear unit out of service and have flashed one partition of my Linksys with the latest stable version of DD-WRT. I feel more confident with that configuration than I do with this Netgear unit being unable to apply a critical security hotfix. Very discouraged and feeling fleeced by Netgear.

Message 37 of 197
Mitus
Star

I'm not sure what to expect. I think it's great that end-user feedback made it all the way to their techincal support team. Even if I am eventually able to upgrade the firmware, it's not likely that it will resolve my main issue, which is that I do not get my 1GB connection from the router.

• Netgear: wants $89.99 just to talk to me because my initial 90 day period has passed.
  • Amazon: will not provide a refund or exchange becuase I've had it too long (4 months)
  • Asurion: Amazon's extended warranty program that I paid for... They are willing to pay for me to ship the router to them so their technical team can examine it. I am tempted, but then I'll be without a router for who knows how long.

I feel like I'm a patient person, but I'm at the end of my rope. I've tried everything I know to try... I'm frustrated and about to spend a few hundred dollars on a different brand of router.

This forum was my last hope, but I couldn't even get a single person to reply to the post about my speed issues. Meanwhile, you all have been amazing with the feedback regarding the firmware discussions. 

Message 38 of 197
BobStevenson
Apprentice

@Mitus Sorry, but i don't have 1Gbps service out here in Narnia, just got a "free" upgrade to 100Mbps from Spectrum that cost us $5.00 more a month. Handles quite a few devices without a hiccup tho. I'm thinking to not hold your breath for anything productive from Netgear since they obviously do not have a fix as evidenced by the constant putting me off...no different than the annoying transfering when calling on the phone eventually getting to the guy you first started out with. I did not realize I bought such an out of date model...2017 They have no compelling reason to help us. I was going to look for third party firmware for this. DD-WRT does not for the 8000P version...they do for the 8000 version. Just a waste of money in my situation. Maybe I'll put it on FB Marketplace. I should have researched better.

Message 39 of 197
BobStevenson
Apprentice

Interestingly, Netgear has sent me a couple of emails instructing me on how to give Kudos and how to close the thread. So this is their attention to detail: Email has hyperlinks that go NOWHERE! So this simple email from this highly sophicated electronic equipment company is broken....links simply have "http://link" Do they not understand by now that you are judged by your technical prowess and accuracy and attention to details? I was part of a company that designed large format printers....EVERYTHING; hardware and software. If there was an issue with software...we either IMMEDIATELY got back into the software and debugged the issue or put the customer back to a stable version until the issue was fixed, but we did NOT simply ignore the customer or the issue or try to hide like a kid that spilled the milk! THAT is what Netgear is doing and THAT is why they will never, ever receive any additional money from me, my family, or my friends...they all come to me for advice and recommendations. I haven't even received an response to my request for product repair/exchange or upgrade me to a device that works as designed. For the guys at DD-WRT to not have an R8000P version because they don't have a unit that operates properly tells me that here is an inherent engineering issue with this unit. It would not be the first time a factory in Taiwan or China or wherever has used a different version chip that they thought was the same or a chip sourced from another manufacturer that requires .01uf decoupling instead of .001uf. I am now going to write a letter to the corporate management team and send it certified. I want what I paid for....a unit that operates as designed AND marketed! Shame on Netgear!

Message 40 of 197
Mitus
Star

I've spent countless hours reading other posts on these forums, reading information on other sites, troubleshooting with Spectrum, troubleshooting on my own and I eventually hit a brick wall. So, I bit the bullet and purchased both a new modem and a new router to test with. Worst case, it didn't help and I can return them to Amazon quickly:

ModemARRIS SURFboard SB8200
RouterTP-Link AC5400

What do ya know... first speed test is in the target range and so are the next few after. So, I connect the Netgear R8000p to the new modem, just to make sure and the speed goes way back down again. I continued to switch the routers a few times to make sure I wasn't just getting a few lucky tests and the results stayed the same. I got my bandwidth with the TP-Link and I got 1/3 of that bandwidth with the Netgear. 

I setup the Spectrum modem to test with the TP-Link and got the same results so I'll be able to return the Arris and get some of my money back at least. My Netgear R8000p is going back into the box after barely 4 months of use.

If anyone asks me for a router recommendation in the future, I will certainly not be recommending Netgear... what a disaster this whole situation has been. I did learn quite a bit, so at least there's that. 

Thank you to everyone to tried to help and those of you out there dealing with the same stuff, I'm sorry. Best of luck to you all
@plemans @shadowsports @BobStevenson @nwork @wtdoor95 @

Message 41 of 197
CalCal23
Apprentice

@Mitus,

Did you have the Access Control feature turned on??  Bandwidth meter??  All of those extra functions drastically slow down the router.  Also, the timer function on the router to disable the network...I'm sure you've checked for all of these, but I was having initial issues too, when I got Gigabit service and I couldn't figure out why my router was so slow.  Thankfully, my cousin is an IT professional asked me some probing questions and we got it resolved within an hour.  On my own, it would've taken me days or weeks to figure this stuff out.  Essentially any extra security and management features in the routers firmware need to be turned off to get gigabit speeds.  The router is a dual core processor with 3 off-load processors for each band.  Honestly, they should've went with a quad-core processor, at a minimum, 3 cores.  Then I think we could actually use all of the extra features and still get maximum speeds from our ISP.

This maybe too late for you, but just something I thought about when reading this thread...

Message 42 of 197
Mitus
Star

@CalCal23 - I read every single thread I could find on this site where other people had a similar experience with the R8000p or another Netgear router. Yes, I tested literally every setting. I just hit my limit for time spent troubleshooting an issue that I feel I shouldn't be dealing with in the first place. I think one of the reasons people like myself pay this much for a router is because they want it to be mostly plug-and-play and/or user friendly. 

I simply plugged in the new TP-Link router and everything worked as intended. No issues at all

Message 43 of 197
nwork
Apprentice

Yes, sounds like nonsense if basic functionality is settings-dependent. This doesn't happen even for cheap routers. This is a very expensive and flawed machine. The fact that Netgear is not saying anything and that community members try to sweep the dirt under the carpet by always pointing out supposed user error and convoluted ways that allegedly make the router work properly makes me thing this is a flawed company altogether.

Message 44 of 197
nwork
Apprentice

Btw, why is this thread marked as "solved"???? This is ridiculous...

Message 45 of 197
Mitus
Star

@nwork Apologies, it's not solved. I guess that was sort of a joke to myself... I solved it by buying another router Smiley Very Happy

I first made a post to try and get feedback about the bandwidth issue I was having, but got zero replies. During my own troubleshooting, I identified that I was not able to update the firmware and made this new post. There were a quite a few people giving valuable input, but the truth is that I could care less about the firmware version if it doesn't address my main concern, the bandwidth. 

I work in IT and have for over 15 years. I believe that there is a root cause and solution for any technical issue you are faced with. However, I just ran out of patience for this situation and opted for the easy way out.

Message 46 of 197
BobStevenson
Apprentice

NOT SOLVED!!! Here everyone go here and file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

https://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/submit-consumer-complaint-ftc

Filing mine now. You simpy can't sell a defective product and then ignore the customer requests for replacement or repair.

Message 47 of 197
KennyG944
Star

I also have a R8000P that I can't upgrade the firmware on.  They told me they'll replace the router.  But if I have the same problem with a second R8000P, my first contact will be the FTC.  Either Netgear gets their act together, or I'm going to file a complaint.

Message 48 of 197
BobStevenson
Apprentice

@Mitus You have marked this as solved so now everyone is wasting their time reading for a solution when there IS NOT ONE. What a un-funny joke! So mr. funny guy....why don't you get a hold of the moderator and have him change it back to UNSOLVED as there is NOT a fix for this problem as of now. I am NOT finding ANY of this funny or amusing in any way whatsoever! In fact, just writing this to change something back to where it belongs absolutely pisses me off. I paid money for something that does not operate properly and this is our forum for issues like that...not for funny guys making jokes about everyone else's misery. Not happy with you sir/mam/whatever.

Message 49 of 197
BobStevenson
Apprentice

Brand new, in package R8000P. Opened, connected, and it wanted to update the firmware to 1.4.1.50 - NOT the latest), which is 1.4.1.62.

I refused the automatic update, downloaded 1.4.1.62 (The latest), unzipped and uploaded from my PC to the router and Voila! Now she shows 1.4.1.62

A. WHY is 1.4.1.50 getting precedence over the latest version?

B. Why is 1.4.1.50 NOT allowing an update OR not changing the version number?

Done with this unless 1.4.1.70 comes out and I can't update to that! Hard to be positive.at this point! Good Luck all!

Message 50 of 197
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7