Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000p can't update firmware

TheodlR
Star

I have now been in contact with the importer in the Netherlands. My R8000P could be returned without a problem and I should receive a new device.

Message 101 of 197

Ok thanks. Do they guarantee that it will have the newest firmware on it?
Message 102 of 197
TheodlR
Star

Oh, that's a good one. I haven't asked that Smiley Frustrated

I will email them to ask it.

Message 103 of 197

When I arranged my replacement I specifically asked if it would come pre loaded with latest firmware.  I was told it would be.  However I won't be convinced until I get it.

Looks as if its arriving tomorrow.  Need to pick time to swap out as the the other four people in the family always go into melt down whenever there is any Internet downtime.

When I get round to it - probably Thu\Fri I will report back.

Message 104 of 197

Got replacement today.  Not set up but I connected to check firmware

Firmware Version V1.4.1.62_1.3.22
GUI Language Version V1.4.1.62_2.1.46.1

So thankfully it is above the dreaded  V1.4.1.50_1.3.10 but still below the latest 1.4.1.64.  I will download the lastest formware and do a manual upgrade.

Message 105 of 197

Wishing you best of luck Sir!
Message 106 of 197

Just updated my replacement router from V1.4.1.62 to 1.4.1.64.with no issues.

Netgear should do the decent thing and replace all routers that are stuck on V1.4.1.50.  Seems the only way to get past it

Message 107 of 197
vinceroebuck
Apprentice

Glad to hear everything working good. (So Far)... tks for the update
Message 108 of 197
nwork
Apprentice

My replacement router has been up and running for one week with no issues. There's no problem if the replacement comes with an older firmware than .50. You just need to update directly to .64 (or anything except .50).

Message 109 of 197
city6121
Initiate

I am having the exact same issue as many on here and it is very concerning that Netgear is turning a blind eye and a deaf ear to this obvious bug.  I am so upset because i am past the 90-day window because it was just recently that I discovered this issuethat I cant update from V1.4.1.50_1.3.10 to 1.4.1.64_1.3.25.   If Netgear doesnt make this right I will never purchase from this company again.  It is also sad that the only way they will talk to you is by purchasing a 6 month support contract for another $89 on top of the $270 I paid for this worthless hardware.   I am open to any suggestions.  Has anyone successfully loaded the firmware by TFTP?  I tried but cant get to the mode needed to upload it.  I have tried everything.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 110 of 197

Previoiusly - "

Just updated my replacement router from V1.4.1.62 to 1.4.1.64.with no issues.

Netgear should do the decent thing and replace all routers that are stuck on V1.4.1.50.  Seems the only way to get past it"

Now - 

You can't make this up.  Installed new router with latest firmware as mentioned above.  After about half an hour the wireless dropped all connections.  Could see SSID but could not connect.  Reboot fixed it - but again only for about minutes.  Did a full factory reset.  No good.  Re installed latest firmware over the current latest firmware - no good.

Then I could see the NTP would not connect to either Netgears own NTP server or any that I added.  So date and time currently stuck at something random in September.  This renders any scheduling or logs useless.

The only thing I could do was put back the old one (courier due to pick up on Monday) as at least it has stable connection and connected NTP server

So tomorrow (no time today) I'm back on the phone to demand a full refund and a refund of the £15 to send me out a worse POS than I already had.

Anyone suggest a good replacement - I'm after speed and range.  Can't spend more that I did for this POS.

Message 111 of 197

@city6121when you call choose option to say you are within 90 days.  Then explain that the issue is not a fault outside the 90 days but an inherent issue with this model.  I did this and they opened a ticket.  Not that it has gained me anything!

Message 112 of 197
nwork
Apprentice

Mine also doesn't connect to the Netgear NTP server (the automatic setting), but it does connect if I input it manually. Like I said in a previous post, this stops the false DoS attacks showing up in the logs. It might be connected to other issues as well. Not sure if it's worth pointing out that you might want to try with multiple servers and make sure you click "apply" and wait for a bit (I'm pretty sure you did this, but, with this router, you never know...).

As for the TFTP, like so many other users have said, it doesn't work. Nothing works if you're on .50. Except a new router.

Message 113 of 197
vinceroebuck
Apprentice

Steveblencowe
I reverted back to my R-7000 no problems with it... have a TP-LINK Archer C-4000 at the Ready... 😁
Message 114 of 197

Un F’n believable, these POS’s. I’m just going back to TP-Link. I’m not even going to hassle with it. I know it will just piss me off more. My TP-Link C9 was solid for years until one day it started dropping connections randomly. Overall, it was the best router I’ve owned. I’ll be looking for a new TP-Link this weekend. I’ll cut my losses on this Nighthawk POS ($330 Best Buy) and move on.
Message 115 of 197
TheodlR
Star

So, here's an update from the Netherlands.

As I posted earlier I returned my device to the importer last monday. Yesterday I received the replacement device. 

I just turned on the router and first updated the firmware from my Mac. So not via the device itself. (I had downloaded that update before.) The router had firmware .42.
And it works! I now have firmware V1.4.1.62_2.1.46.1 on it without any problem.

Oh yeah, and I didn't buy off any additional service paid when I bought it. And it's been more than 90 days since I bought it. But according to the helpdesk of the importer, I have a 2-year warranty here (in the Netherlands at least). And in addition, according to this employee, it should never be a problem to install an update of the firmware. That is just part of it.

In addition, he was not familiar with this problem (?), But he was going to escalate it within Netgear.

I'm going to leave this thread now, my problem is solved.

Message 116 of 197
BobStevenson
Apprentice

That's all you can do. NetGear is in TRUMP mode denying, ignoring, and deceiving. Only one thing to do.....DUMP it and move on to something else.

Now one thing that I never did with the boat-anchor was to go to DD-WRT, or even look for a third-party firmware. If the igits have connected all the parts and pieces together properly, it is probably electrically and technically sound. Just need the CORRECT instructions to put in the PLC to make all the parts work together in harmony as designed. NetGear obviously doesn't know how to do that correctly since even at .64 there are serious thru-put and connection issues. Unfortunately the darn bean counter opts for the minimum amount of memory to save that one bean, so onboard memory can be issue and probably is!

For most people the unit may perform as they want or need HOWEVER, running a couple of VPN's and Live market data and streaming TV with several phones connected and a security system is just too much for this thing....it drops connections, is slow to access DNS servers (even giving a "no found" error occassionally), and does have issues with access control. They use YOUR secure router to try to market to you and the auto update doesn't work and TFTP doesn't work and to have to go thru the BS to get a new router just because the firmware is locked and stuck at .50 is absolutely ridiculous. There's an igit at NetGear that has a software tool that would probably unlock the eeprom and allow .50 to update to the latest......WAY TOO MANY ISSUES for 300+ dollars!! and then to FLEECE people out of money for support for a FACTORY defective product should be criminal. When I received my replacement unit the clock for support did NOT start over! So, you get another boat-anchor that has the original 90 day support...not a NEW 90 days. I consider the behavior as THEFT BY DECEPTION....regular people go to jail for that.

Message 117 of 197
THEFORENSIC
Guide

I just called regarding this same issue, and they wanted me to purchase the service contract.  I originally purchased router in June 2020, as of course out of the 90-day window.  I explained that it wouldn't even downgrade, etc.  Just stuck on the current version firmware.  I got off the phone after saying it is ridiculous to buy a $90 phone suport contract on a close to $300 router that won't update properly.  I left negative feedbake in survey.  Doubt anything will come of it.

Anyone know how to force an update for Firmware V1.4.1.50_1.3.10

Message 118 of 197

@THEFORENSIC Unless you are very lucky there is NO way past that firmware.

Don't take any of the 90 days free support crap from Netgear.  This is not a support issue with your router but a fault with this model on that firmware version

When calling them I just select to option for within 90 days (I bought mine on July 3rd 2020) and just tell them this needs to be sorted as its a general problem with this mode;/firmware.  Unless you are very lucky there in NO way to get past it.  I tried and failed under my own steam and with the help of 2nd line Netgear technical support. 

In the end they gave up and RMA's me a new router that had a later firmware.  I had to pay £15 so I could keep the original while awaiting the new.

Unfortunately the replacment was faulty (would not hold wireless connection and NTP did not work).  I called them demanding a full refund plus refund of £15 postage costs.  They claim they can't offer refunds - which is nonsense as I am in the UK and if its not fit for purpose they have to refund by law.  They offered, and I accepted, to replace the second router with a different and higher spec model - the AX6000-Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi 6 Router.  They are sending it with free shipping while I keep the working original router.  Lastly they refunded the £15 I paid for the first RMA!

So keep at them and you will hopefully get a resolution that suits you.

Message 119 of 197
veroebuckjr
Aspirant

Keep us informed
Message 120 of 197

Received the replacement Nighthawk RAX80.  Installed without issue and running fine.  Nice to have a Wireless 6 router I suppose but my confidence in Netgear routers has been dented somewhat.

Message 121 of 197
THEFORENSIC
Guide

Glad things were resolved.
Message 122 of 197

I decided to move on from Netgear and purchased a TP Link Archer AX 6000. I have had it for a week now and no issues I can speak of so far.
Message 123 of 197
THEFORENSIC
Guide

I may be jumping the netgear ship, nothing is getting done here. I had high hopes. All my contact information was sent in and no contact back.
Message 124 of 197
city6121
Initiate

If I dont get this resolved I'm never buying netgear again.  I wasn't expecting to buy a $330 Brick that cant be upgraded and doesnt work as expected.  Severely Dissapointed to the fact that I might report them to the BBB and FTC.   Its unreal that after 90 days they want you to pay $90 for a problem that is most definitely a known software bug.  It seems like a raquet and a scam.

Message 125 of 197
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7