Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R800P forward ports disappearing!!

startrk1995
Tutor

R800P forward ports disappearing!!

Router:  R8000P just purchased

Firmware Version: V1.3.0.10_1.2.2
I have setup and reflashed this router 5 times now.  It works great but for one thing.  The port forwarding page will randomly show up as blank after setting up all the ports or even in the middle of setting them up.  If you try to readd a port, an error of Port already in service will show up.  Nothing resets it....  Even a reboot does not bring them back.  The only thing that will work for a time is to reflash the firmware.  Then the ports will show up but will eventually disappear.  

Different settings I have tried based on the crap ton of other people having the same issue:

1.  Set WAN IP to static from DHCP.  (Still the ports will disappear eventually)

2.  Disable UPNP. (Still the ports will disappear eventually)
3.  Reflash older firmware. (Still the ports will disappear eventually)

Settings:

A.  All wifi radios are enabled.

B.  Dynamic DNS is setup. I have left this blank and it will still occur

C.  Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection is checked

D. Respond to Ping on Internet Port is checked

E. Disable IGMP Proxying is checked

F. NAT filtering is set to open

G. Disable SIP ALG is checked.

What else do you need to know because this is totally unacceptable on a $400 router.  After messing with this for 5 firmware reloads, I decided to save a config file.  After a restore of that exact same config...  They show up now but will disappear soon enough I am sure.

Thanks,

Nate

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
startrk1995
Tutor

Re: R800P forward ports disappearing!!

The R8000p has been stable with no issues since the below steps.  About a week now.  Crossing fingers it will hold.

Any time you upgrade firmware (even if it the same firmware) you should do the following:

1.  Write down your configuration. NOT A BACKUP FROM THE ROUTER.

2.  Under Advanced => Administration => Backup Settings. Click revert router to factory settings.

3.  The router will reboot.  When it comes up, it should be clean of all settings.

4.  Flash the firmware to whatever version you want.  As of today Firmware Version
V1.3.0.10_1.2.2 seems to work.
5.  When it comes back up!  Very important to start doing this!!  On the clean firmware reset. Make a backup of the config. Advanced => Administration => Backup Settings => Save a copy of the current settings.  Name it 1_R8000p_clean_config.cfg
6.  Change the internet settings to what you want.  Save config.  2_N8000p_internet_settings.cfg

7.  Change LAN/WAN settings to what you want.  Save config. 3_N8000p_LAN_WAN_settings.cfg
8.  Change DYNDNS settings to what you want. Save config. 4_N8000p_DYNDNS_settings.cfg
9.  Change anything else you want expect port forwarding.  Save the config.
10 . The last step is to change the port forwarding on the router.  Once that is done and you have the router exactly the way you want.  Save the config as N8000P_Final_Backup.cfg

This does a couple of things.  
A.  If at any point the settings are lost. You can always go back to the last known good config.
B.  If at any point the port forwarding disappears or any other setting, you can go to the lowest level of the config and fix it.
C.  ALL FIRMWARE UPGRADES SHOULD BE DONE LIKE THIS IF YOU WANT TO HAVE A STABLE NETGEAR ROUTER.  Sucks but it seems like the only way to keep your settings if you don't want to start over from scratch.

Thanks,

Nate.

I will marks this closed.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi startrk1995,

Have you tried to reset the router to factory default and reconfigure it manually?

Message 2 of 5
startrk1995
Tutor

So I have re-flashed the firmware so many times and set it up manual as well. To be honest, since my last post, it has been very stable and nothing has disappeared. The recommended steps to reset the config before flashing the firmware and then resetting the config after the firmware has been flashed seems to have worked. That seems very convoluted for this expensive router but I am happy it is stable now.

Thanks
Nate
Message 3 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Hi startrk1995,

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Message 4 of 5
startrk1995
Tutor

The R8000p has been stable with no issues since the below steps.  About a week now.  Crossing fingers it will hold.

Any time you upgrade firmware (even if it the same firmware) you should do the following:

1.  Write down your configuration. NOT A BACKUP FROM THE ROUTER.

2.  Under Advanced => Administration => Backup Settings. Click revert router to factory settings.

3.  The router will reboot.  When it comes up, it should be clean of all settings.

4.  Flash the firmware to whatever version you want.  As of today Firmware Version
V1.3.0.10_1.2.2 seems to work.
5.  When it comes back up!  Very important to start doing this!!  On the clean firmware reset. Make a backup of the config. Advanced => Administration => Backup Settings => Save a copy of the current settings.  Name it 1_R8000p_clean_config.cfg
6.  Change the internet settings to what you want.  Save config.  2_N8000p_internet_settings.cfg

7.  Change LAN/WAN settings to what you want.  Save config. 3_N8000p_LAN_WAN_settings.cfg
8.  Change DYNDNS settings to what you want. Save config. 4_N8000p_DYNDNS_settings.cfg
9.  Change anything else you want expect port forwarding.  Save the config.
10 . The last step is to change the port forwarding on the router.  Once that is done and you have the router exactly the way you want.  Save the config as N8000P_Final_Backup.cfg

This does a couple of things.  
A.  If at any point the settings are lost. You can always go back to the last known good config.
B.  If at any point the port forwarding disappears or any other setting, you can go to the lowest level of the config and fix it.
C.  ALL FIRMWARE UPGRADES SHOULD BE DONE LIKE THIS IF YOU WANT TO HAVE A STABLE NETGEAR ROUTER.  Sucks but it seems like the only way to keep your settings if you don't want to start over from scratch.

Thanks,

Nate.

I will marks this closed.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7