Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8300 - Desktop WiFi Constantly Disconnects w/ "The default gateway is not available"

TonyRowlson
Aspirant

R8300 - Desktop WiFi Constantly Disconnects w/ "The default gateway is not available"

First post and I'm going absolutely insane trying to figure this one out. I've currently got an R8300 Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router. All my other devices 2.4 or 5 GHz maintain a steady wireless connection and my desktop appears to be the only one affected by this. The Win10 v1803 desktop wireless has maximum signal coverage but constantly loses internet connectivity every minute or so. It shows that it is still connected to the router but no internet. Using the Windows Network Diagnostics troubleshooting almost always shows "The default gateway is not available" resulting in being "Fixed" and internet connectivity temporarily resumes until the problem occurs again.

I've tried numerous fixes with no success thus far which include: 

- Use the Windows Network Diagnostics troubleshooter

- Rebooted Modem and Router

- Disable then Enable the WiFi adapter

- Change WiFi settings from Automatically obtain to Manually Assign 

- IPCONFIG /release , /renew, and /flushdns

- netsh int up reset

- netsh winsock reset

- nbtstat -RR

- Power Settings> Wireless Adapter Settings> Power Saving Mode > Maximum Performance

- Power Settings> USB Settings> USB Selective Suspend Setting > Disabled 

- Router firmware updated to current release (V1.0.2.130)

- Wireless Adapter updated to current driver (Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260) (Driver Date 11-Nov-2018; Version 18.33.15.1)

- Changed Wireless Adapter> Configure>Power Management to uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

- Changed Wireless Adapter> Configure>Advanced>"Wireless Mode" to reflect value "3. 802.11g"

- Uninstalled the wireless adapter then rebooted

- Antivirus uninstalled

- Task Scheduler to constantly ping the Default Gateway every second to try and maintain an active connection

- Actually started with a clean Win10 v1803 baseline install and no other applications installed

As an extreme case I figured the clean install might resolve but the problem but it has not. All of the above items has made absolutely no change to the problem nor the frequency at which it is occurring. Keeping in mind that any of the above would temporarily fix it for only a very brief period before the issues occurs again. I've Googled for days with no progress it seems. Any assistance from the community here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time

Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
TonyRowlson
Aspirant

Re: R8300 - Desktop WiFi Constantly Disconnects w/ "The default gateway is not available"

So I wanted to follow-up. I had continued researching and troubleshooting. Update drivers/chipsets, etc but still no luck. However, I came across something the other day that I believe may have done the trick oddly enough and I wanted to post it here in case someone else runs into a similar issue as it may solve a headache for them.

I went into Device Manager under Network adapters and clicked on "Update Driver Software..." but instead of searching automatically for the driver, I clicked "Browse my computer for driver software" and then clicked "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer".  I de-selected "Show compatible hardware", I selected "Intel" for the Manufacturer and selected the "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 (Microsoft)" instead of the (Intel) one. So far it's been 48 hours without any disconnects. So the Driver Date is now 22-Feb-2015, Driver Version 17.15.0.15, Provided by Microsoft and Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows. Funny how rolling it back to the original install didn't work but the end-state solution still involved rolling back to an older driver provided by someone other than the manufacturer.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 16

All Replies

@TonyRowlson wrote:

First post and I'm going absolutely insane trying to figure this one out. I've currently got an R8300 Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router. All my other devices 2.4 or 5 GHz maintain a steady wireless connection and my desktop appears to be the only one affected by this.

This sound suspiciously like a Windows issue. That everything else works suggests that your router is doing what it is supposed to do, churning out usable wifi.

I assume that you are using a wifi connection to get the PC to connect. Do you have an option to try a wired connection?

One of the regular issues that comes up here is that Windows sees new networks as suspicious and regards them as "Public". Making it "Private" can unblock the access.

In Network & Internet settings you should see Network status. If you go to Change Connection Properties this should be Private.

Message 2 of 16
IrvSp
Master

Is this correct?

============

- Wireless Adapter updated to current driver (Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260) (Driver Date 11-Nov-2018; Version 18.33.15.1)

- Changed Wireless Adapter> Configure>Power Management to uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

- Changed Wireless Adapter> Configure>Advanced>"Wireless Mode" to reflect value "3. 802.11g"

============

What other choices do you have?

Why did you set it to G speed? For N speed, see https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005544/network-and-i-o/wireless-networki... for proper settings. Full list of settings are here, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585.html.

By the way, this problem appears to be common, see https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&client=firefox-b-1-d&q=intel(r)+dual+band+wireless-ac+7260.... Although some are old, they might have useful information.

Message 3 of 16
TonyRowlson
Aspirant

@michaelkenward ,
  Thinking it was a potential Windows issue with no previous luck resolving is exactly why I decided to try a clean install. I used a Tier I ISO of Windows 10 - Pro v1803 (dated Aug 2018) from MSDN. However, during the setup process of selecting my WiFi network and almost immediately after getting to the desktop for the first time, the problem started again. So I pretty much eliminated any extra applications, the Netgear Genie app, Antivirus (except Windows Defender), etc.. I've also got a laptop directly next to the desktop at the moment that is running Windows 10 - Home using WiFi flawlessly. So not sure if it is a Pro vs Home issue or what.

In regards to your comments, I'm sure I may have missed a few details but under the Network Profile for the WiFi network, it is currently set as a Private network, Metered Connection Off, and IP setttings are back to DHCP. The desktop machine does have an RJ45 Ethernet port plus I also have a USB-to-Ethernet dongle. However, the problem is that I'm physically separated by the router by more than 50' and that's the longest CAT5 cable I have. Worst comes to worst I can just disconnect about everything and move it within the physical distance but was really trying to avoid it.

@IrvSp ,

In regards to the information, I'm assuming by "correct" you're simply asking if those are actually the settings/information and maybe not a typo. I've attached a compiled screenshot for clarification. With the exception of the Wireless mode, those settings are correct. The wireless mode change was simply done as an additional step as I saw another post saying that their issue was resolved by changing the wireless band to reflect g only and it fixed it for them. I had no such luck and reverted it back to "6. Dual Band 802.11a/b/g". There's 2 wireless modes though: an option for a/b/g (currently set at option 6. Dual Band 802.11a/b/g") and an option for n/ac (currently set at 802.11ac). The Intel article about recommended settings matches the current state of my adapter properties.

I've looked at the various Google articles and it definitely seems like a rampant issue across various OS and computer models. The most common responses seems to be checking for updated drivers or uninstalling/reinstalling them which I've already done.

Thank you both for taking the time to help look into this.

Message 4 of 16
IrvSp
Master

@TonyRowlson, dropped another important nugget here... "I'm physically separated by the router by more than 50' and that's the longest CAT5 cable I have. ". You are pushing your luck with that, especially with 5Ghz.  Articles like this state 150Ft inside, but that is line of sight. It further states it can be 25% or less with obstructions  in walls. 5Ghz doesn't do as well as 2.4Ghz either.

Some routers do have beam forming settings and that can help some. Personally, I'm at about a 65 foot limit in my house. Router (r8000 as well as the old R7000) has a hard time connecting to some devices at the far end of the house and some outside locations. iPad's and phones have the hardest time due to the low number of Antennea's they have.

You might be better off looking for Power LIne Adapters to spread the signal.

Message 5 of 16

When Windows problems bite you in the rear end it is always worth looking for driver updates.

Not the things that Windows Update delivers, but at the chipset level.

Makers of PCs and motherboards are hopeless at delivering updates for the chips that people like Realtek make. And yet they all rely on these.

From time to time I try to track back to the chipset makers for things like LAN, Sound, wifi and so on.

Start at the PC maker. You might be surprised by what it offers.

As I say, Windows Update finds none of this stuff.

Message 6 of 16
TonyRowlson
Aspirant

@IrvSp I probably should have clarified. I would need about a 60' of cable to go around corners, hallways, etc.. The desktop and the router are spacially about 25' apart with 1 interior (non-brick) wall separating them. All of my devices I use in this particular area have no issues connecting and maintaining a connection except for the desktop.

@michaelkenward The desktop is a Dell XPS 8700. I'll do some more digging double-checking chipsets and current driver states.

Let me know if you all can think of anything else. The problem didn't start until I got the new router which is the reason I was thinking it had to be something router-related.

Message 7 of 16

The problem didn't start until I got the new router which is the reason I was thinking it had to be something router-related.

The lapsed scientists in me says that you are spot on there.

But a new router can create a network that looks very different to Windows. So that has to come into the picture.

Message 8 of 16
Henry8000
Aspirant

I had all kinds of problems staying connected on my 8000 router. I finally disconnected the Smart Connect feature of the router and have not been thrown off yet after several days. I had several sessions with Netgear tech support and they eventually sent me a new router that did not help at all. It appears Netgear has a problem with the Smart Connect feature.
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 9 of 16
IrvSp
Master

@TonyRowlson wrote:

@michaelkenward The desktop is a Dell XPS 8700. I'll do some more digging double-checking chipsets and current driver states.

Boy are you hitting home here. I'm on a Dell XPR 8700 (almost 5 years old) and wife is on a Dell XPS 8500, I'm running W10 Home, she's on W10 Pro, both at the at the same version, V1809.

We've HAD problems with the supplied Dell Network Wireless Adapter. They usually supply the Dell one. Garbage it seemed... Since her PC is older we tried using the Dell wireless with her PC (or had to snake cables like you had to). Dell swapped it out for an Intel one too, and that really was just as bad. So I wired it, looked messy and bought a NG A6200 and never looked back. My 8700, I tried the Dell wireless, no good so I laid cable around the room. Both of us were 'happy'. Got the R8000, and it worked well and I could put all AC devices on one back for top performance. I bought a 'cheap' AC USB wireless adapter. Mistake, I couldn't even boot the Dell reliably. Had to do with the BIOS initializing the device in time to go on, but 20% of the time the device didn't respond  fast enough and the XPS hung with the spinning dots. After a power off/on it ALWAYS worked fine. I did occasionally have problems coming out of sleep. Vendor bent over backwards. Offered to exchange the device, but I didn't think it was the device. After a few weeks of messing with it I decided to try wife's 8500. Never had a boot problem so I now have her A6200 and I'm happy. Yes, every one in a rare while it too doesn't come back from sleep immediately but that is minor.

She's had some problems with the USB I put on her PC. I've got some drivers for it of differing vintages. RealTek made the chipset and the vendor is having NO LUCK getting answer from them. Eventually the vendor did get an updated driver with a lower firmware number. I tried that and it the past 3 days, NO COMPLAINTS from my wife.

I seriously doubt your problem is with the router or Windows... unless you consider the driver the problem. Also that cards burried in the PC can see more interference that a device with an External Antennea. AC USB Wireless devices are reasonable it seems. $30 to $70 and in most cases you can just buy it, doesn't work, return it easily with NO STOCKING fees from some places.

Router change can mean a lot of differences, signal strength and footprint, channels used, number of antennea's, as well as internal differencse on processing TCP/IP packets.

I'd suggest getting ACRYLIC and using it to check the power level the 8700 has and IF it fluctuates, especially if you lose the connection, as it just used the wireless adapter to 'see' and doesn't need a connection. You might even be on a Congested channel, which you can then change.

Message 10 of 16
TonyRowlson
Aspirant

So I wanted to follow-up. I had continued researching and troubleshooting. Update drivers/chipsets, etc but still no luck. However, I came across something the other day that I believe may have done the trick oddly enough and I wanted to post it here in case someone else runs into a similar issue as it may solve a headache for them.

I went into Device Manager under Network adapters and clicked on "Update Driver Software..." but instead of searching automatically for the driver, I clicked "Browse my computer for driver software" and then clicked "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer".  I de-selected "Show compatible hardware", I selected "Intel" for the Manufacturer and selected the "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 (Microsoft)" instead of the (Intel) one. So far it's been 48 hours without any disconnects. So the Driver Date is now 22-Feb-2015, Driver Version 17.15.0.15, Provided by Microsoft and Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows. Funny how rolling it back to the original install didn't work but the end-state solution still involved rolling back to an older driver provided by someone other than the manufacturer.

Message 11 of 16

Jeez. What a rigmarole. You have my sympathy.

Nice research.

By now you would hope that something approaching logic would prevail in computer circles.

In the end it was not much to do with the Netgear hardware. Just the pesky PC,

Message 12 of 16
TonyRowlson
Aspirant

Yep but it didn't start until the new router with hardware configuration originally unchanged. Glad this is hopefully over.
Message 13 of 16

@TonyRowlson wrote:
Glad this is hopefully over.

Until the next time!

Message 14 of 16
TonyRowlson
Aspirant

So just following up yet again. Apparently it was just a fluke and things went down again even after the last update I mentioned. Instead of buying another internal card for the desktop I went ahead and got a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter. Had it running for a few days now and absolutely no loss in connectivity. Only thing I can figure at this point is maybe the Intel Wireless card was crapping out. At least I'm fully functional again though.

Message 15 of 16

That's good news. Good feedback.

My own experience is that the on-board wifi in laptops is not great. It is probably a good thing that many desktops don't have wifi built in. That means that we have to get USB adapters to do the job. Much more reliable.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7