R8300 solid amber power light

jcbnhl98
Aspirant

R8300 solid amber power light

Bought R8300 over a year ago, finally went to use it at my new house, and the power light stays amber indefinitely. Of course, support is not included anymore, is this a simple version update to the router or will this require me to pay for support of a brand new out of the box product?
Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Re: R8300 solid amber power light

@jcbnhl98 wrote:
Bought R8300 over a year ago, finally went to use it at my new house, and the power light stays amber indefinitely.

Assuming that there is nothing wrong with the power supply, that is a sign of corrupt firmware.

@jcbnhl98 wrote:
.....will this require me to pay for support of a brand new out of the box product?

Have you registered it already with MyNetgear? Maybe support starts when you do that.

There are various things you can try with this. Tell people what you have done already and maybe they can come up with ideas.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 7
jcbnhl98
Aspirant

I have already registered and that is why I said that I do not have support, because that is what the prompt told me. Have tried various different power supplys, not the issue. Can I update the firmware without jumping through a bunch of hoops??
Message 3 of 7

@jcbnhl98 wrote:
I have already registered and that is why I said that I do not have support....

Pity you didn't say that earlier. You said that you had bought it a year ago. Registering is something else. Might have been better if you'd just leave it lying in the box.

Can I update the firmware without jumping through a bunch of hoops??

Try this:

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That is a bit out of date in that it does not tell you that Windows has a TFTP function built in, you just have to enable it.

• Control Panel
  • Programs and Features
  • Turn Windows features on or off
  • TFTP client - enable

That's probably easier than retrieving software from a website.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 7
jcbnhl98
Aspirant

Hi Michael,

Thanks for this info, but I have a Mac, so the walkthough doesn’t pertain to me.

May I ask why you suggested to leave it lying in the box?

And the main question, how can a brand new Router have corrupted firmware out of the box, that makes 0 sense.
Message 5 of 7

@jcbnhl98 wrote:

Thanks for this info, but I have a Mac, so the walkthough doesn’t pertain to me.

So Google "Mac TFTP".

There seem to be plenty of options, including a Mac equivalent of the built-in TFTP tool in Windows.

@jcbnhl98 wrote:

May I ask why you suggested to leave it lying in the box?

Because then it would not be registered and you could have started the process that might have got you some support.

@jcbnhl98 wrote:
And the main question, how can a brand new Router have corrupted firmware out of the box, that makes 0 sense.

Who knows? These things happen. That is what the support system is for, and the warranty process.

Have you tried this:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

It might get you into "recovery mode".

Have you even tried getting into the router's management interface? That is the first step in any repair process.

There is a manual and support stuff for the R8300 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Nighthawk X8 R8300 | AC5000 Smart WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support <<<<

Just another user.

Message 6 of 7
antinode
Guru

> [...] Windows has a TFTP function built in, you just have to enable
> it. [...]

Except that after you "just have to enable it", you might need to use
it:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1533866#M87578

> [...] I have a Mac, [...]

Some translation may be needed, but the computer-configuration steps
are similar.  And, as mentioned in that other thread, your Mac should
already have a command-line TFTP client.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements