Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8500 2.4 ghz issue

StuttersC
Aspirant

R8500 2.4 ghz issue

I recently moved my R8500 to a new location in the house to get a better signal through out.

In moving the router, one laptop (that I have noticed so far) will not connect to the internet. The laptop can see the wireless 2.4ghz network. It can connect to that netowrk, but Windows 10 says it has no interent access. I have attempted to plug the laptop in directly to the network and it won't even join.

The laptop was connected wirelessly and working fine prior to the move, but now it will not get to the internet. The "Troubleshoot Connection" in Windows 10 says something along the lines of the IP address is not configured correctly on the network.

I have updated the firmware to the latest version on the router. Reset the router, and powered it on and off. I even went as far as factory resetting the router to no avail with this laptop. I have been able to connect to the 2.4ghz band with another deice and it seemed to be okay. Based on that, I am inclined to believe it is the laptop itself, but I wanted to reach out here and see if there was something I missed with the router itself.

It has been relatively stable and only seems to get angry when I end up shutting it down or unplugging it, and plugging it back in.

Thank you for your help.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StuttersC
Aspirant

Re: R8500 2.4 ghz issue

On your computer, try forgetting then reconnecting the Wi-Fi network.

I tired that with no luck. I also noticed a neighbor has Xfinity WiFi to the public turned on. I tried to join that network with the same results, connect, but no internet.

Check your router and make sure MAC address filtering (aka Access Control) is not enabled. If it is, then you need to unblock your computer's MAC address.

This was not the issue.

Based on a few other clients connecting to the 2.4ghs range and getting to the internet, I started drilling down using this link.

I had to reset somethings through the command prompt and restart the laptop. Once it came back up it connected to the network and had internet access. So, the issue was the laptop having some problem with the IP address it made up, and not the router. I found the IP address the laptop was holding onto, and it was some crazy 168.124.lots of numbers.

I'm glad it's not the router as I didn't want to spend money on another one for awhile. And, this has been the best router I have bought in ages.

Thank you for your help in trying to diagnose the issue. I appreciate it!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Is the laptop configured to obtain an IP address dynamically?

Message 2 of 7
StuttersC
Aspirant

I believe that it is. I don't think it would have changed that setting on it's own, and it was basically turned off prior to moving the router. I will have to double check it when I get back to it.

It was never assigned a fixed IP through the router, and I never set it up that way on the laptop.

Message 3 of 7
TheEther
Guru

What does the status of the Wi-Fi show?  Is the adapter enabled?  Does it have any IP address?  Can it see your router's Wi-Fi network?

Message 4 of 7
StuttersC
Aspirant

What does the status of the Wi-Fi show?

The status lights on the router show both the 2.4ghz, and both 5.0ghz as being up and running. The internet status light is good.

Is the adapter enabled?

The adapater on the laptop is enabled. I have run the Windows 10 troubleshooter several times, and it has given me the same three errors that need to be resolved. Reset the router, which has been done. Reset the adapter, which has been done. And the IP issue, which I don't know why it would have that issue.

The neat thing is it will give one, or two, or all three errors depending on lord knows what when you run the troubleshoot thing.

Does it have any IP address?

I haven't seen an IP address on the laptop yet. I looked into it some last night when the issue first started, but haven't been able to delve into the laptop side of it as much. I started at the router first. I thought I saw what it had as an IP address, and it was too many numbers, not the 192.164.1.X that the network is set for. I don't know why the laptop would be hung up on the IP address issue when it worked in the morning, and then would not the same night, six hours later.

Can it see your router's Wi-Fi network?

The laptop can only see the 2.4ghz signal. It has been that way since day one with the laptop. It will connect to the 2.4ghz wifi, but says there is no internet connection. The laptop will not go to any websites in any browser (Edge, Chrome, or Firefox).

Message 5 of 7
TheEther
Guru

On your computer, try forgetting then reconnecting the Wi-Fi network. Make sure you know the Wi-Fi password. Check your router and make sure MAC address filtering (aka Access Control) is not enabled. If it is, then you need to unblock your computer's MAC address. If your computer is connecting through a range extender, then the MAC address will be changed by the extender, so be sure to take that into account.
Message 6 of 7
StuttersC
Aspirant

On your computer, try forgetting then reconnecting the Wi-Fi network.

I tired that with no luck. I also noticed a neighbor has Xfinity WiFi to the public turned on. I tried to join that network with the same results, connect, but no internet.

Check your router and make sure MAC address filtering (aka Access Control) is not enabled. If it is, then you need to unblock your computer's MAC address.

This was not the issue.

Based on a few other clients connecting to the 2.4ghs range and getting to the internet, I started drilling down using this link.

I had to reset somethings through the command prompt and restart the laptop. Once it came back up it connected to the network and had internet access. So, the issue was the laptop having some problem with the IP address it made up, and not the router. I found the IP address the laptop was holding onto, and it was some crazy 168.124.lots of numbers.

I'm glad it's not the router as I didn't want to spend money on another one for awhile. And, this has been the best router I have bought in ages.

Thank you for your help in trying to diagnose the issue. I appreciate it!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7