Re: R8500 Beta FW V1.0.2.28

ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mwheel0ck Thank you for the information.

Can you go ahead and PM me the details below:

• How often will it disconnect? Everyday? Every 2 hours?
  • What are the wireless devices connecting? Please include OS and the wireless adapter model number and driver version.
  • No problem on wired connection, correct?
  • Will the wireless LED shut off? Describe the LED lights.
  • How do you restore the connection?
  • When the disconnection happens, was the microwave, cordless phone, video baby monitor, Bluetooth, or other wireless device(s) around the client computer or the router?
  • Did you notice anything that could trigger the issue to happen?
  • How far was it from the wireless client to the router? If the user moves the wireless client closer to the router (e.g. next to the router), would the connection issue still exist?
  • Please include a copy of your configuration file. Kindly make sure that the admin login for router is to default settings which "admin" and "password". You may upload it to dropbox or any file sharing site in order for me to download it.
ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 51 of 133
mwheel0ck
Aspirant

Hi,

• Disconnect happens every 10 days or so (just long enough to think that it is fixed...Smiley Happy.
  • Devices include various Windows 10 laptops, Roku devices, iPhones, and iPads.  All disconnect at the same time.
  • No wired issues.
  • The lights stay on, but they do not blink with traffic (like they normally do).
  • I power cycle the router to fix it.
  • There is no time of day or anything similar that corresponds to the blackouts.  All other equipment is on separate circuits and five feet from the router.  The microwave is two rooms away.
  • The clients range from right next to the router, to anywhere in the house.  They all lose it at once.

Let me know if that link doesn't work.  Thanks Elaine!

Michael

Message 52 of 133
Deanmastjr
Star

I just installed new open source firmware because all netgear firmware on my r8500 have been nothing but buggy and headaches , so far the only open source I can find is at http://myopenrouter.com/
Message 53 of 133
dhonzik
Aspirant

I would loved to have try this beta firmware, but could never get the router to update the firmware manually. It only works thru the netgear file server. I would loved to know the trick to get that to work. When I try it always cut out, I am on the latest build of Windows 10 and using an Ethernet cable to the router with the wifi turned off

Message 54 of 133
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mwheel0ck Thanks for the configuration file.

@dhonzik Are you getting any error message? Kindly post a screenshot.

The firmware should work either manually or using the auto firmware upload. Did you try resetting the unit?

How about using a different computer? Download again the firmware from the website and use a different computer to load the firmware.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 55 of 133
chascent
Luminary

Just purchased router. Loaded the .26 firmware and it is running perfectly so far.

Is there any benefit to the .28 firmware?

CC

Message 56 of 133
NightOwl326
Luminary

No, not until you have at least 2 mu-mimo clients. 

Message 57 of 133
jwhedberg
Aspirant

After exchanging my R8500 for a new R8500 and running .26 firmware my wifi has been spectacular for weeks now (also using manual IPs where possible). While the firmware has clearly improved, i now believe at least a few of the R8500s sold had a defective 2.4Ghz radio (or related part). This router punches a powerful wifi signal in all directions, solving years of weak wifi at the far ends of my house.
Message 58 of 133
chascent
Luminary

My new laptop and Nexus 6P have mimo, enabled it in the .28 firmware.

How can I tell if it is connected in MIMO?

CC

Message 59 of 133
NightOwl326
Luminary

Need 2 mu-mino clients running at the same time to see any benefit. 

Message 60 of 133
francop
Aspirant

I am reading the manual, and it states that by default, SNMP is set to disabled. 

Is there a way to configure SNMP (enable)?

Message 61 of 133
francop
Aspirant

Also, not if this is the correct forum. But a nice feaure would be smartconnect across the 3 Bands (2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz).

Message 62 of 133
mtame
Aspirant

Where can I download this beta firmware?

Message 63 of 133
grimmace
Apprentice

Look at the first post in the thread.
Message 64 of 133
kalagxw
Aspirant

# iptables -L

iptables: can't load library 'libip4tc.so.0'

always get that erroe message.

forget to run make oldconfig when compiler

Message 65 of 133
metalsiren
Aspirant

been using the beta code for a while and its been fine, but now the GUI is saying there is a new firmware avail but it never finds one. WHen I check the production code is not at the beta version so wonder why the GUI is saying there is new code avail. Only started doing this a few days ago. any ideas?

Message 66 of 133
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@metalsiren I don't encounter what you describe. Have you tried factory reset?

Can you also post a screenshot?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 67 of 133
Geekslayer
Aspirant

I think it has something to do with this  Firmware Version V1.0.2.30_1.0.43  i guess it's a european version. But you don't want to install it, I had radio isses with it.

Message 68 of 133
doubleroll
Apprentice

Any new beta firmware available yet? 

Message 69 of 133
nikony13
Aspirant

can someone please post speed results under this beta firmware, specifically for 2.4 ghz, your internet speed and test results download and upload under 2.4 ghz? 

my speed is perfect under 5 ghz but under 2.4 ghz its slow. Rebooting helps a little but still not a full speed and degrates over time.

Thank you

Message 70 of 133
doubleroll
Apprentice

I just got 115 up / 97 down with 2.4Ghz. My service is FiOS 150/150. With 5Ghz I get full bandwidth.

Message 71 of 133
grimmace
Apprentice

I haven't had any problems on 2.4GHz. Which speed test are you using, and is the QoS turned on or off? If it's on, what speed category is the 2.4 device in (anything lower than "highest" will reduce your speed)? Or, just make sure the QoS is turned off and retest. What kind of device is connecting on the 2.4 too? What speed is the router speed test reporting under QoS? If the router is reporting full speed, then the problem is probably with the QoS being on or the device. What is the speed of the device? Is it a B, G, or N connection? How for away from the router is it? Wireless his many for issues for seeing why you aren't getting top speed.
Message 72 of 133
nikony13
Aspirant

@grimmace wrote:
I haven't had any problems on 2.4GHz. Which speed test are you using, and is the QoS turned on or off? If it's on, what speed category is the 2.4 device in (anything lower than "highest" will reduce your speed)? Or, just make sure the QoS is turned off and retest. What kind of device is connecting on the 2.4 too? What speed is the router speed test reporting under QoS? If the router is reporting full speed, then the problem is probably with the QoS being on or the device. What is the speed of the device? Is it a B, G, or N connection? How for away from the router is it? Wireless his many for issues for seeing why you aren't getting top speed.

i use speedtest.net. QoS is off 

I am using Iphone 6S to test it and under 2.4 ghz  i get 70 down and 16 up ( my internet speed 110 down and 35 up). When i switch to 5 ghz the test shows full speed.

Message 73 of 133
doubleroll
Apprentice

To be honest I don't recall getting full bandwidth with any Router, Asus, etc, on the 2.4 band.

Message 74 of 133
doubleroll
Apprentice

What I do notice with this firware is that my iOS devices disconnect from the 5Ghz band quite frequently. When I check in the morning most times I find them connected to the 2.4Ghz band or my other wireless network. I can connect them manually again and all seems ok for a while.

Message 75 of 133
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements