R8500 Beta FW V1.0.2.28

jwhedberg
Aspirant

Re: R8500 Beta FW V1.0.2.28

Set a new record for my x8500 of about 80 hours before losing 2.4Ghz signal and having to restart. I have ruled out my external devices. The only thing i haven't tried yet is manual IP and manual QoS settings like Grimmace has done.
Message 26 of 133
grimmace
Apprentice

I haven't lost any signal yet, this firmware has been pretty good to me so far. I hope you can solve your problem. I not sure what else I an add. No guest signal, WPA2, manual QoS and IP address for the router, UPnP is on. I have a USB3 stick connected with music on it, that's about it. Right now the aggregate LAN on ports 1 and 2 is off also.
Message 27 of 133
jwhedberg
Aspirant

Thanks Grimmace, i will go 100% your way on next try
Message 28 of 133
NightOwl326
Luminary

Thanks for that input.  What?

Message 29 of 133
StephenB
Guru

@mondenath wrote:

Its good to see beta fw for new routeres But i believe this router was having 512MB of ram and being dual core 1.4ghz cpu it can handly pretty much heavy task,

Let it have download manager, VPN server etc. So that router resources are well utilized.

Well, it does have OpenVPN support, and of course ReadyCloud.

Personally I don't want a download manager in my router though.  Its main job is to provide a secure connection between my home network and the internet.   Loading it up with application software creates a bigger attack surface.

FWIW I've been running V1.0.2.28 for a while now, and have found it to be stable.

Message 30 of 133
jwhedberg
Aspirant

Hi Grimmace,

Since manually assigning IPs wherever possible, the router has been rock solid for 24 hours so far, with the best speeds ever. Not sure why this might be the answer to the 2.4Ghz problem, but so far so good, and it is the only thing you did that I hadn't tried before.

Message 31 of 133
grimmace
Apprentice

Glad it's helping. For devices I can't manually assign in the device, I assign them an IP through the router. I only have 2 or 3 devices that don't have some form of static IP assignment. I did to know where stuff is on my network, DCHP is only when I don't have any choice. As for the issue of making the router have a download manager and VPN etc. Please no. There are more than enough devices that can do this and they don't cost much. Let the router focus on doing what is needs to do. The cloud is bad enough for security, adding download managers would just make it worse.
Message 32 of 133
Loudog2
Apprentice

@polarstar I know this is the beta section.  But why is the new firmware on the netgear site not on this site yet? I haven't read about anyone using it and it's been out for a few days.

Message 33 of 133
grimmace
Apprentice

The one on the download site is 1.0.2.26 and the one here on beta is 1.0.2.28. Why would we talk about an older version of firmware?
Message 34 of 133
Loudog2
Apprentice

It's not the older version. The definition of Beta is an untested version so you guys aren't being the guinea pigs using that version.   The version released a netgears website has already been beta tested so less buggy.  So it's the new already tested firmware.   After you guys are done with your beta trials then that one will be the next one released on the website.  

Message 35 of 133
grimmace
Apprentice

Right, the one on the website is .26. We are testing .28. So, .28 should be a newer version based on the numbering, and the next version to be released. This Beta, .28, has been running fine for me, so I see no reason to take another chance on different firmware, even one that has a final release. If you want to talk about that version, I'm sure there is a thread on it somewhere on the forums.
Message 36 of 133
Loudog2
Apprentice

Read my post again please. I'm not trying to take this one over.  I'm asking the moderator to put the information about the new "official firmware" on this site because it is NOT. I have a child with epilepsy and her epilepsy camera is on the 2.4 channel. I need to stick with the non beta ones that are already tested.  But thanks.

Message 37 of 133
grimmace
Apprentice

Oh, sorry for any confusion. Have you tried to PM the moderators? That might work better.
Message 38 of 133
NightOwl326
Luminary

This beta is extremely stable and has a 2.4 ghz stabiltiy fix.

Message 39 of 133
jwhedberg
Aspirant

Hi Grimmace,

I lost my 2.4Ghz signal again, and having never succeeded in keeping a solid 2.4Ghz signal beyond a week, exchanged my old R8500 for a new one at Best Buy. The new one is running firmware V1.0.2.26 and has been working fine so far this weekend - I restored my old settings and manual IP's from my old R8500 into the new unit. Since the Firmware V1.0.2.26 in the new unit has worked all weekend, I have not updated to Beta V1.0.2.28. I will keep you posted if this new unit holds up.

John

Message 40 of 133
NightOwl326
Luminary

Both the last official release and this beta have a 2. 4 ghz fix.  But may I make another suggestion of what I have used for years.  A simple plug in wall timer to power your router on and off once every 24 hours as a reboot will help with stability on any router.  Is there a time (only need about 5 minutes or less) when you could have this process take place with your child's condition?

Message 41 of 133
Loudog2
Apprentice

I could.  The camera is set to record during sleep time so it's set for a nap if she chooses to(12pm-3pm) and overnight for 12 hours(8pm-8am).

Message 42 of 133
NightOwl326
Luminary

Just buy a digital timer that can  turn off at a specific time and then turn back on in 5 minutes.  With the new firmware and a forced reboot once every 24 hours you will have no problems.  Just buy a quality name brand timer like intermatic and not junk like home depot sells.

Message 43 of 133
jwhedberg
Aspirant

Hi Grimmace,

4 days now with a solid 2.4Ghz signal after hardware exchange. Sure beats having to reboot every few hours with the original software or every few days with the beta. I am still on 1.0.2.26.

Message 44 of 133
grimmace
Apprentice

I'm still on .28. No drops at all. It's been rock solid for me. I'm not risking the change to something else for the moment. Glad the new router is working for you.
Message 45 of 133
jwhedberg
Aspirant

I can now definitely say I had a hardware problem with the first unit. V1.0.2.28 and manually assigned IP's reduced the failure rate but did not alleviate the problem. It was Netgear tech suggestion that I exchange it after beta testing with them. NightOwl326 made a superb suggestion to another contributor to use a timer to reboot the router on a regular basis (our company has been rebooting its routers at least once a month for over a decade now), but unfortunately my original R8500 router was often failing within minutes or hours. The Netgear R8500 performance is absolutely amazing and I am glad I stuck with it.

Message 46 of 133
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you guys for your feedback.

It's a great help knowing that the router is all up and running!

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 47 of 133
mwheel0ck
Aspirant

I am running the beta update, but still have wireless dropouts.  It is up to days between the dropouts, but they still happen. 

I have a ticket open, but no news yet.

Michael

Message 48 of 133
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mwheel0ck Just to clarify, did you factory reset the router after loading the firmware?

Which wireless signal drops out? Is it the 2.4GHz or the 5GHz? Both?

What wireless devices are connecting to the router?

You've used as well the latest official release (1.0.2.26)?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 49 of 133
mwheel0ck
Aspirant

Hi,

Both 2.5 and 5Ghz drop out.  All devices lose connectivity (the SID literally disappears from being broadcast).  This happened with the _26 firmware as well.

Michael

Message 50 of 133
Discussion stats
Announcements