Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8500 Broadcast SSID not working

soulrider4ever
Aspirant

R8500 Broadcast SSID not working

I'm running a R8500 with the latest firmware 1.0.0.56 and I have unchecked the SSID Broadcast box for both the 2.4 and 5ghz (using smart connect) - the SSID is still broadcasting on the 5ghz, however, it's working properly for the 2.4ghz (that is, the SSID isn't broadcasting).

I'm using open security for both.

I've rebooted, tried enabling then disabing, etc. no luck.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: R8500 Broadcast SSID not working

The manual states that the settings for 5 GHz radio 1 override radio 2, so try disabling SSID broadcasting on radio 1.  You may have to disable Smart Connect, disable SSID broadcasting, then re-renable Smart Connect.

It's possible that Smart Connect cannot be used in conjunction with hiding the SSID.  As a test, try disabling Smart Connect.  

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 11

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Not broadcasting an SSID is not a secure solution, Broadcast the SSID's and use a strong Wireless passphrase.

Message 2 of 11
soulrider4ever
Aspirant

Thanks for the information, however, that still doesn't address my problem.  

Message 3 of 11
TheEther
Guru

@netwrks has a point.  Hiding the SSID is no longer considered useful.  And using it with open security combines two really bad ideas.  Read this article.

So, while this doesn't directly address your problem, we're trying to tell you that your point is moot.  Don't bother hiding your SSID.

Message 4 of 11
soulrider4ever
Aspirant

While I appreciate you both looking out for my Wifi security, I would like my new shiny $400 router's basic functions to work.

Message 5 of 11
TheEther
Guru

The manual states that the settings for 5 GHz radio 1 override radio 2, so try disabling SSID broadcasting on radio 1.  You may have to disable Smart Connect, disable SSID broadcasting, then re-renable Smart Connect.

It's possible that Smart Connect cannot be used in conjunction with hiding the SSID.  As a test, try disabling Smart Connect.  

Message 6 of 11
soulrider4ever
Aspirant

So I disabled Smart Connect, hit apply - then the 2nd 5ghz radio had the show SSID checked, I went ahead and unchecked it, hit apply - then enabled Smart Connect, hit apply again and the SSID is now hidden.  Was odd because it showed it as unchecked and greyed out with Smart Connect enabled and the SSID off on the 1st wireless network.  Hopefully this will get fixed in future revisions of the firmware.

Message 7 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@soulrider4ever Thank you for that feedback. I have already forwarded this to our engineering team. 

Message 8 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@soulrider4ever Your case was replicated but didn't get the same result.

How did you reset the router? I suggest that you try to reset it once more. 

Make sure to push the reset button using a paperclip for 10 seconds.

Change your SSID then save the settings. Once you reset the router, the SSID should be back to its default SSID.

Do this just to be sure that the router was set to factory default. 

Message 9 of 11
soulrider4ever
Aspirant

This was from a brand new Router so it was defaults from the box.  I'm all set now, thanks all!

Message 10 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the update!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements